The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Camperback rollup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Camperback rollup? Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Cooler weather is here, and we will soon be putting on the camperback sides for the first time since it was initially fitted in July. --
The curtains are zip-able, and roll up. They don't have a factory installed means of holding them up in the rolled up position, and we're wondering about the best way to do it. Snaps would have to be installed by punching thru the fabric, we could sew velcro tabs and a 12-18" long "tail", but then the tail would be flapping around when not in use. If the tail is on the inside, that wouldn't be a problem. -- How do others do it?
Never having had something like this, another question comes up, should it be rolled up when underway? How "unflappable" is the camper back at planing speeds? I expect it'll have an affect upon speed due to additional drag, but is there an unsafe speed? --
thanks,

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Camper Back Reply with quote

Al and Pat,

We have a 22, not a 25, but here's my experience to date. The front portion of the side curtains roll up and are kept in place by sewn in place straps that snap back on themselves. At planing speeds, I do notice that the aft portion of the curtain catches some air (drag) and flaps a little bit, but nothing that seems outrageous. The straps are not an issue when they are not in use. My guess is that you could not hit a speed in either the 22 or the 25 that would endanger the camperback due to wind stresses. On the freeway, you certainly could.

Steve
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most marine hardware stores have "kits" for snap fasteners. You can buy some webbing if you don't have the appropiate Sunbrella which is doubled. The fixed end, is riveted to the top, with the snap on the outside. The free end, is attatched to a second snap, on the inside, when the side is not rolled up. If the clear vinly is large area, you might want to put some old sheeting material in between the layers as you roll it up. We use the same sheeting to store the sides when they are not on the boat.

I have a set of "dies" for the various snaps, which fit on a square jawed set of Vise grips. This is easier than the usual small pin to peen over the hollow post in the center of the snap.

I use a soldering iron to "burn" the hole, rather than using a fabric punch. This seals the edge and keeps it from fraying. If the fabric at the edge of the top is thin (only one layer), I would sew in re-inforcement. Since this is a small area, sewing by hand is easy. I also like to put a piece of 6 to 8 oz dacron inside of the edge if I am doing the top-- this is stiffer than the Sunbrella and tends to spread out the load.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob's excellent advice is well taken and with plenty of experience!

All I'll add is that when rolling up some of my vinyl windows, they tend to need a core to keep the rolled up vinyl from bending.

I add a soft rubber plumbing insulation tube as a core to stiffen up the rolled up vinyl. If that bends, I add a piece of PVC pipe inside the insulation.

Of course, one can say that if the vinyl bends it might indicate that the design or installation of the vinyl windows is wrong, but it just seems that the heavier sides of the vinyl where the zippers are sewn are heavier and stiffer than the centers of the windows where it is all vinyl, and the ends pull down more, and force the flexible centers up(!)

Be sure to get the tubing and windows clean before you roll them up! Otherwise grit and dust will scratch the soft vinyl, especially underway!

Incidently, I have all the original 1988 Sunbrella on my Sea Ray that is in excellent shape thanks to careful care and being under a covered berth with no bird droppings! A covered berth is well worth the extra $$$!!!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone here advised earlier, rolling the windows in a fleece blanket with a swimming noodle for the center to avoid folding, works great.

If I'm using them down alot and just need temporary opening, I tie the entrance flaps back to those vertical hand rails on the aft cabin corners, or just throw them up and over the top of the canvas and put a spring clip to hold them there.

I agree that having a wrapping core, sheet material and snapping holders on top would be handy.

Jeep Wranglers come with all that so that one can roll up the back side windows safely when needed without having to remove them.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: