The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor Locker Dimensions (Classic / Angler)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stwagstaff

City/Region: San Francisco
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Aldo
Photos: Aldo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Anchor Locker Dimensions (Classic / Angler) Reply with quote

I'm about to install a Lewmar Pro 700 windlass on my C-dory classic, but I would like to come up with ideal dimensions for the anchor locker I need to build. I want to preserve enough of the interior v-berth space to be able to continue resting my 6'2" bones in it at night -- that's the point of anchoring in the first place, right?

Does anybody have a Classic with an anchor locker, or can anybody give me any help with the size shape of the locker in their Angler? I don't have any C-dorys nearby that I've been able to measure. What I need is the height of the locker bulkhead, the width at the top and bottom of the trapezoid and how far back from the front "v" of the bow the top and bottom edges are located. It would alto be very helpful to know the angle the bulkhead is raked back from the bow, if possible.

Anybody able to point me to any photos of the anchor locker configuration in their boat?

Thanks,
Sean

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean-

Something to keep in mind:

To a large extent, the room necessary in an anchor locker is dependent on how much rode (both length and diameter) are necessary for local and anticipated conditions. Florida folks who anchor in 5-10 feet of water may need only 100 feet or more feet of rode, while those in Alaska may need 600.

You might want to take your rode (if you have it already), and simulate the windlass dropping it into a pile from the anticipated height, then measuring the necessary dimensions around the pile to see what the minimum ought to be.

Just my $0.02!

P.S.:

You can look through the Anchoring Detail Photos in the Tech Library to see several anchor locker set up on different boats.You may have to go the the photo gallery menu at the top of the home page, or try this:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Anchoring&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchor Locker Dimensions (Classic / Angler) Reply with quote

stwagstaff wrote:
I'm about to install a Lewmar Pro 700 windlass on my C-dory classic, but I would like to come up with ideal dimensions for the anchor locker I need to build. I want to preserve enough of the interior v-berth space to be able to continue resting my 6'2" bones in it at night -- that's the point of anchoring in the first place, right?

Does anybody have a Classic with an anchor locker, or can anybody give me any help with the size shape of the locker in their Angler? I don't have any C-dorys nearby that I've been able to measure. What I need is the height of the locker bulkhead, the width at the top and bottom of the trapezoid and how far back from the front "v" of the bow the top and bottom edges are located. It would alto be very helpful to know the angle the bulkhead is raked back from the bow, if possible.

Anybody able to point me to any photos of the anchor locker configuration in their boat?

Thanks,
Sean

I will measure my 22 cruiser anchor rode locker later today & get back to ya! Mr. Green Beer

I can get 300' + of 1/2" Double Braid Line with 30-40' of 1/4' Chain in here. Mr. Green Beer
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Joe, we occasionally have "deep water"--like 40 feet--in Florida! :lol:

I think that Joe was implying this, but you have to remember that the windlass needs a certain amount of "fall" under the gypsy for the rope to grip--that is there is some length of chain or rope under the gypsy--I like at least a foot.

If you are feeding an anchor rode in by hand, then you can put in considerably more, than letting it fall in as it comes off the windlass. We kept the deck hause pipe on the 25--and will make a net "bag" for extra anchor rode, which we will put in by hand, under the hause pipe, and still allow the main rode, to fall free under the windlass.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: