View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Second seating... Reply with quote

No, this has nothing to do with eating on a cruise ship. I am considering a better helm seat for our CD-25, and wonder if any others have come up with a good solution. This one that Captd has in his tug looks good...

Not sure if there is enough clearance for rotating the seat with the throttle lever. I really like the idea of arm rests, again if they would not interfere with throttle use. Has anyone out there re-seated their 25? I know we discussed this a while back, but I don't recall a particular seat/solution.

TIA

Best wishes,
Jim B.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several problems.... I changed out my seat too....to one with a good back bolster... and used one of those mounts with the rubber bushings to soften the spring action of the seat.... and it helps lots..... but after all that...it moved the seat up about 1 1/2 " and forward some...so the wheel was now to low and hit my knees...
To complicate matters I installed a Autohelm autopilot...shortened the distance between the wheel and my knees

I found that there are several different mounts for our steering units....the one our boats came with is something like a 90 degree bracket...and so the wheel is parrel with the bulkhead..... what I did was order a bracket for a 20 degree mounting..... what that did was move the wheel higher and to a angle that made steering much easier...plus gave me about 1 1/2" of knee clearance....worked fine..... to make a bezel I used a motorwell boot...it fits between the wheel and the bulkhead and looks factory.

Joel
SEA3PO
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TC255, at least my 2006, has an adjustable angle steering mount. It'll go from vertical to nearly 75degrees from the vertical with several "stops" in between. Very handy.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I don't know if the current boat seats are stainless steel or something like that for salt water use, but you can get some pretty neat, air suspension, tractor seats thru Agri-Supply, or Tractor Supply or other farm outlets. I don't think they swivel, but the suspension is designed to ward off back and butt problems from pounding over the fields. I had to trade my old tractor in just to get an air suspension seat since I no longer could handle the 10-12 hour pounding. The air suspensions are adjustable in height and compression weight but don't swivel and are usually black or yellow...

Someone on this site has installed a grey suspension seat designed for boats.

John
Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, et al,
Timely topic for us, we spent 2 sessions of 2-3 hrs each under way Mon. and had fanny fatigue at the end of the day. (Same condition for the mate's seat.) Our CD-25 is a 2008 and I think I was told that the seat is a bit different, but it could use some help. Pat stacks the 2 ~3" cushions for the cockpit corner seats on the raised floor under her feet to rest them on, I'm gonna make something better there.
I agree on the problems, almost any other seat will raise the seating position and reduce knee room at the bottom of the wheel. Also, even tho' I'm 6'-3", I could use an inch or 2 block on the floor to raise my knees a bit (as the seat cushion is now). Arm rest(s) would be nice I think.
Just had another thought which might work -- I was told yesterday of a guy who does custom foam and cushion work, who knows his stuff. I think a cushion for the existing seat, with some contour and maybe different foam, would possibly do it. I'll see about getting in touch with him in the next day or so, he might have some suggestions.
Have another reason to talk with him - maybe another good topic - the V-berth foam seems very hard. Both Pat & I have sore hip joints after a nite on them. Need 3" of egg-crate foam, or something, if we're gonna do much overniting. Anyone done anything there? If so, let's start another topic maybe?
I got some neat sunset shots Sun. nite, I'll get something on our webpage. Still no progress on getting an album or pic posting 'privileges'.
thanks all,

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I have that exact same seat on my little 13' fly fishing boat. I took the arm rests off as they get in the way when working with fly lines. Wink

It is a very comfortable seat though.

Here is a nice seat base that would provide a good suspension system for a seat. The cabinet top would need to be lowered about 8" to use it though. I wish I had found these when I first purchased my sled as I would probably still have it if I did.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Al and Pat,

We have had a couple custom motorcycle seats made, but they always started with an existing seat pan... I considered something like that for the boat. Right now, I have a small pillow velcroed to the seat back to give some kind of decent lumbar support. After a long day cruising, my butt is aching (nice that we can share this kind of information, isn't it? Wink )... I don't have that situation with a good car, truck, or motorcycle seat. I was thinking that if I could buy an existing seat, someone could give a "review" on the comfort.

Regarding the foam in the v-berth... definitely a more dense foam. We bought a memory foam mattress pad at Sam's Club, and I sleep better in the boat than at home with on our Select Comfort. (In fact, I snuck out to the boat this afternoon for a short nap. Cool )

Best wishes,
Jim
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jim, I've put a micro foam pad from Wal Mart on my motorhome bed. By the time I hit the bunk on the boat, I'm so tired I conk out immediately, so have not had much problem with that padding although it does seem firm.

Here is a link to Northern Tools, for the type of suspension seat you can get from the tractor/farm stores:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_39320_39320

for under $200 , not bad.

John
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local canvas guy is curently rebuilding our helm seat using thicker, denser foam and adding some lumber support, as well. I'll post the results after testing on this winter's cruise.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe CatyMae will chime in. The replaced the helm on their 22. THe following picture is from their photo album.

SEA3PO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I put in has a back bolster which really helps...I ordered from West Marine but have seen it at Boaters World...........but the thing that really helps is the back is the Garelick Active Seat Suspension Unit...($115) from West Marine.... it takes up much of the shock and jolt....it does raise the seat about an inch and a half but well worth it....that makes seeing over the bow easier....I am only 5' 10"

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked in the West Marine wishbook...and the one I have is not even shown......if you go to the Garelick website they show all their seats.....lots more to choose from .....

Joel
SEA3PO
William and Beth Tucker

City/Region: Ocean Isle Beach
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: c-dory
Photos: William and Beth (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we did our sea trial at the factory..I told jeff that the helm seat is leaning back too far...I asked him what he did and he advised he put a life jacket behind his back... I advised him to make me new seat brackets which hold the back part of the seat straighter up and he did and my seat is very comfortable..Thanks to the factory for all that they did to our boat to make it custom and now i guess the custom boat is no more..................Keep your life jacket on ! tucker
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William and Beth Tucker wrote:
..I told jeff that the helm seat is leaning back too far...I asked him what he did and he advised he put a life jacket behind his back...

Hmmm, maybe that's why I don't have the problem with the helm seat that others have, because I have a life jacket on all the time. (It has never bothered me to wear one).

C-Brat #16
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always sat on a boat cushion to improve my field-of-view and save my butt. I recently installed folding armrests that add to the comfort but, unfortunately, stick out and snag me as I walk for/aft in the aisle. Especially in rough water when I'm weaving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: