View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Bamfield, Vancouver Island Reply with quote

New York Times article about history of Bamfield, BC.

bamfield.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  bamfield.pdf
 Filesize:  94.05 KB
 Downloaded:  622 Time(s)

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Bamfield History Reply with quote

Warren,
Thanks for the link to an interesting article. When I was young we lived in Port Alberni, and was there when the British Telegraph station closed. We have taken the "Lady Rose" out from Port Alberni, and it is a fascinating trip. Now I want to go back and do the same trip in the SleepyC and spend some extra time in some of those coves.
I do have a hard time remembering anything there that would bring $600 a night.
Harvey
SleepyC Moon

nomadcruiser53

City/Region: Whitecourt
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Atlas Acadia 25
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: $600 a night Reply with quote

I think the article was talking about high prices in Ucluelet and Tofino. I see the Wickaninnish Inn is listing room prices as high as $1500/night in peak seasons.
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article,
I knew it was a telegraph station but never realized it was manned by "kilt wearing Scottish sentries" during the war. Can't imagine what the locals would have thought when these guys with funny accents and wearing skirts arrived. Was out there once a few years ago on a fishing trip. was great til the fog rolled in. It was the fist time I had to put total faith in radar and GPS. I was on a friends boat and he said, here lets see how much faith you have in electronics, get us home. Couple of times my mind was telling me we were heading for Japan. From what I've heard. it must be like flying into a cloud bank, but at least you don't have to worry about the horizon staying level. We made back but it was a slow trip. Thanks for posting it.
Jimbo
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess "Wild" will have to be found a little further north now. What a shame.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bamfield is still way funky. The logging road is a barrier for some, not for others, with heavy haulers at times dominating it. Tofino and Ucluelet are completely different animals from Bamfield. The article failed to mention the division of Bamfield into East and West portions, with no road access to the West version, or the Boardwalk, a mile-long esplanade of trail and planks connecting the "business" district to the steamer docks, the latter also the locus for a general store, the CCG, and the government liquor store.

Live moves at a slower pace in Bamfield. It is about the most charming, wildest west coast locale reachable by passenger automobile I know of, alhough Bella Coola (have not been there yet) could beat it.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Bamfield is not Tofino and Ucluelet Reply with quote

You are right, AstoriaDave. They are more than a few miles apart over the water. The Bamfield of now is still an outpost village. A far cry from the tourist resorts of the north side of the sound there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been visiting Bamfield every year for a while. Local woman lived there as a preteen in the early sixties, before the road went all the way into town. It ended about 2-3 miles short, at the river. Her dad had to walk to the road, across a suspension bridge, to get to his truck (he was a gyppo logger), every day. In those days, everything did come in via the steamer. Despite no connection to the logging road system, there are a few vehicles in West Bamfield, which serve as informal taxis, used by locals to ferry kids, groceries, etc.

Couple women who wre friends of her mom, both in their 80's still live there. Way cool to visit with them ane hear tales of the old days. Both are very much with it, at peace with the world, etc. A tribute to their lifestyle.

Lotta folks use Bamfield as home port while fishing for salmon, out in Barkley Sound. Some halibut action, offshore, also. Beautiful cruising in the islands.
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hardee, That's my goal now, too, since we have a motor boat. I'd like to be one of the small boats fishing for salmon in Alberni Inlet, when Lady Rose comes through. Tie off behind an island at night, and start all over again next day.
Rod

Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we visited bamfeild last year while in the area. other then a walk way that follows the bay there is nothing of interest in the town itself. the public dock has no showers and well there is just nothing here. One small store and a bunch of fishing charters. You could use one of the fishing camps for a base and fish with them. We found the out station for the local yatch club out in the islands and that far and away was the most beautiful place in the area. We did not make it to telegraph cove but have heard good things about it and may stay there a night or two next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Documents All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: