Rigging CD for tuna?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rokjok777

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Squidward
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Rigging CD for tuna? Reply with quote

Hi, any ideas on rigging a CD 22 for albacore? I've got flush mount rod holders in the gunwales and surface mount ones on the side of the lazarette in the motor well. I was thinking I could put some rod holders in the flush ones (the ones that let you stick your rod out horizontally) and then maybe meat lines off the stern cleats; and leave my fly lines in the surface mount holders, ready for action.
Any better ideas? What about live bait ideas too? Very limited space available...thanks from Mark on Squidward
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a week of fishing Albacore on my 22' Angler.
At first I was running 2 rods off the transom mount Scotty rod holders, 2 rods forward on the gunnel mount Fish on holders and 2 100' hand lines off the stern cleats.
Midweek we installed my new Rocket launcher that I designed. My wife's Uncle welded it up for me. I love it. No pics yet but I will try to get some posted when I get a chance.

I have a commercial 1/2 tote and carry an extra 150 quart and an 80 quart cooler. These are all filled with ice (almost 500#)

I take the very best care of my catch as it is my favorite. I refuse to loose ANY Sashimi grade fish.

When I get a fish we brain spike it immediately. Then we hold the fish over the side of the boat and cut the gills to bleed it out. After the fish is bled out we make an incision at the anal vent big enough to stick your finger in (about 2 inches). Insert your finger and rake out the intestine. It will look like a small curly pig tail when you get it. Next, cut around the membrane from top to bottom of both sides of the gills. Cut the top and bottom of the gills free. Grab the gills and give a swift quarter turn and pull. The whole gut will come out. Throw it over the side then rake both sides of the cavity with your finger to remove the kidneys and the heart. Wash off the fish. Dig down to the bottom of the cooler and pack the cavity of the fish with ice. Place it at the bottom of the cooler and pack ice around it. Lather, rinse and repeat.

This makes for the very best Tuna you will ever have the pleasure to eat.

I am going to fashion a live bait tank out of my port side lazarette complete with drain and pump. I have the parts already I just need to find the time.

I caught fish on the hand lines and on the stand up rods. It sure is fun.

I hope this helps.... Let me know if you have any more questions and I would be happy to help you out. I am no expert but I can get the job done and it is absolutely awsome to Tuna fish in my boat. I have a 58 gallon main tank and took an extra 14 gallons with me. With my new Suzuki 4 stroke 90 I used less than 50 gallons most days. Pheonominal performmance and mileage, I could not be more pleased....

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Rokjok777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: thanks and another question Reply with quote

this is great info, I think I'm on the right track. Question: how does she handle offshore? I've got good experience near offshore here in San Francisco but 30+ miles out I wonder how conditions are for you. Do you find CD's have a tendency to broach and if so, any handling tricks or tips? Thanks!
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really enjoyed my CD off shore.
I have been caught in 14' seas. She handled it just fine. In fact I was one of the faster boats returning to port as I was on plane at 12 to 14 mph. The deep V boats were plowing much slower and I am sure their ride was a lot more tipsy.

The only time I have had trouble is nosing into a swell running downhill (following sea). Just slow down and let the swell go under you. If you look at your speed you will notice that you actually make better time doing this as you lower the RPMs but do not loose much speed. If you are in a hurry you can slowly nose into the swell and not have much trouble. If you just plow into the swell there is a chance that your prop will come out of the water. When this happens the current at the bottom of the trough takes over and will pitch your boat sideways. Sideways isn't a good place to be in a trough.
Just take your time and slow down.... Life is good and the C-Dory is a fine off shore boat in my humble opinion.

I hope this helps...
There is no substitute for experience. I learn something new every time I pilot offshore....
Rokjok777

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: thanks and I agree Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, yep I do slow down and let swells pass under. Also, if they're not too steep (even if they are tall) and longer period you can surf them a bit, so long as, as you say, you don't bury the bow into the next one.
Great to have an economical boat with gas prices headed where they are...good luck and tight lines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: