View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: San Jaun and Gulf Islands trip Reply with quote

We are leaving in the morning to drive the rigs north!

We have the washburn book but need this years data booklet for the currents. Can someone suggest a good place to get this?

Thanks,

Steve
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I know Metzger Maps on 1st Ave near the Pike Place Market has them and so does West Marine just off I-5 on Mercer Street if you don't want to mess with downtown. That's assuming you even want to stop in Seattle at all Wink Otherwise, depending on where you're planning to put in, there's a West Marine in Anacortes as well.

Hope you have a great time. Maybe we'll see you on the waters. Caryn and I will be up in the Gulf Islands for the Labor Day Weekend.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

If we are still here when you get to Bellingham, you are welcome to borrow ours. We bought it at the used marine stuff place in Bellingham (the name escapes me right now), near the mission. We are planning to hit the road Saturday morning.

Best wishes,
Jim

R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Tides, etc Reply with quote

Steve,

We're in Anacortes at the moment (actually using the internet at Starbucks). Expect to be back in B'Ham sometime today (Friday). If you miss meeting up with Jim & Joan (WILD BLUE), we see to it you get to the used marine store that's near the boat launch. Will even have a 10% off coupon for you.

Ruth & Joe/R-Matey
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use the tide information directly from your GPS? I'm guessing you don't really need to know the exact currents, just the tides and when the slacks are. You can get that information from the GPS/chart plotter. I don't know how to find it on a Raymarine but I'm sure it's there. On a garmin, it found under menu-->tides, then you select a local station (sometimes after a lot of scrolling), and it displays the predicted tides in a nice graphical format with the hours of sunrise, sunset and the highs and lows all indicated + a vertical line indicating present time.
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for all the replys.

We will probably get to Bellingham Saturday late or Sunday morning. My friend has the Washburn book and we are familiar with using it. We just need this years data book. I have been to the San Jauns many times but in some areas I am still not sure wich way a flood or ebb with be going. That is what we like about the washburn book. My C80 does give me the currents and tides but I didn't see how to tell wich way the water flows.

Jim, look like we will miss you this time. Have a good trip.

R-Matey - Thanks for the offer! I love discount places like that.

I don't have email while on the road or boating and we are leaving in the next 30 min. Best way to connect is cell.

925-381-1855

Thanks,
Steve
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Joe and Ruth just came by in R-Matey, heading for the ramp. I'm sure we'll see them yet today, and I'll leave the tides/currents book with them.

While that information is on the C/E-80, it sure is nice to have it in a book format so you can check the info anytime.

Sorry we'll miss you - have a great time in this wonderful cruising area!

Best wishes,
Jim
SeaSpray

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are back from our trip and still trying to dig out from the mess and get back in the grove for work.

When we got to Bellingham Ruth and Joe were waiting for us at the marina. They are a great couple and their hospitality was greatly appreciated.

We had a little trouble at the start of the trip. After Ruth and Joe led us to a gas station to fill up the boats we launched and got settled at the dock for the night. The next morning our friends boat was not at the dock!

I found them on the trailer in the parking lot. Their 100+ gal aluminum fuel tank had a leak and they were forced out of the boat at midnight by the gas smell and spent the night in their truck.

They were very upset that after a 2 day drive they might have to turn around and go home. We found the leak on the weld for the vent. Ruth and Joe came over, drove us to West Marine and we found an aluminum epoxy putty that we were able to use to fix the leak.

We didn't know it but we were in for some of the best weather of the summer for our trip! We only had one day/night of light rain with most days in the mid 70's and sunny.

We only had one other problem. I started the wallas to cook dinner and it started getting hot but then quit. I checked the fuse (2A) in the PC board and it was blown. There was a spare and it blew immediately.

I remembered reading here that someone else had used a larger size fuse and Scanmar had said that was fine. The only fuse I had was a 5A. I put it in and it worked. I ran the stove, shut it down and everything was fine. The next morning I started the Wallas and went out in the cockpit for a few minutes. When I came back in the cabin was smokey.

It took my brain a few seconds to realize that the PC board on the stove was burning up. I turned off the stove, opened the cabinet and pulled the power wires but it was too late. Burnt electronics really stink! It had fried the two power transistors and the Wallas would not work for the rest of the trip.

The good news is that I stopped at Scanmar on the way home and they replaced the PC board on warranty.

We had a very relaxed trip through the Gulf Islands and the San Juans. We visited Prevost Harbor, Bidwell, Montague, Ganges, Wallas Island, Telegraph Cove, Genoa Bay, Canoe Cove, Sidney, Sidney Spit, Roche Harbor, Garrison Bay, Reid Harbor, Sucia Island, Matia, and Doe Island.

We met many interesting boaters and saw several C-Dory's. I will try to get some pictures in my album in the next week or so.

Steve and Karen.
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Glad you had such a nice trip and that you made it back safely. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Jeff and Julie
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome home, Steve and Karen -- sure glad you had such a marvelous trip. Sorry about the Wallas, but they made it right. Also sorry to have missed you guys when we were out thataway also, but happy that your trip was so great!!
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: San Juan Trip Reply with quote

Steve & Karen (also Mike & Kati),

Pleased to read your post that all went well on your return trip home to California. Also, getting the stove repaired. Thanks for the wonderful dinner and company. Enjoying the mugs as well...what nice large handles. Whenever you're in the B'Ham area, let us know. Maybe, next time we'll be able to join you out there in the San Juans.

Ruth and Joe/R-MATEY
Jeff and Julie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

We are hungry for more of other peoples trip pictures!! Where are they?

Jeff and Julie
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've posted some on our website. Look under 2007, summer and fall.
Jeff and Julie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, pictures!!
It is so wonderful that people like you take the time to post pictures and stories about your adventures. I really appreciate it and it helps to be able to "get away" for an hour or so.

Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: