The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jet-legs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wapiti

City/Region: sherwood Park
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Breeze
Photos: C-Breeze
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Jet-legs Reply with quote

C-Brats;
I am interested information from any owners of 22' or 25' C-Dorys that may have had any experience with jet-legs on their outboards? I am interested in travelling the larger rivers in northern Canada and was wandering if it was feasible to run a jet-leg on a C-Dory? Which manufacturers make jet-legs for their outboards?
Thanks!
wapiti
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about that also and this thread discusses that subject.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some things on that thread that I agree with and some I don't. But outboard pumps lose a lot of performance due to the huge redirection of water as it flows through the system. This isn't the case with Inboard Jets.

Now, I'm sure you could swap out the lower units and get it to work but the loss in efficiency would likely result in a sluggish boat that performs badly.

As far as how well the boat handles with jets at slow speed, well how patient are you? They do handle completely different! IMHO they are better in MOST cases. However in heavy winds they can be a handful. With my old Jet Sled, I could turn the boat on its center just by putting the boat in "neutral" and turning the wheel to full lock in the direction I wanted to turn. No mad spinning of the wheel back and forth while going from forward to reverse like you have to do with a prop. A slight forward or backward movement with the bucket allowes you to work the boat sideways when the wheel is turned. Of course, if you don't want the boat to move, the engine has to be OFF! There is no true Neutral with a jet!

BTW: Jet Pumps are not actually made by any of the outboard manufacturers. There is only one company that makes pumps for outboards and that is it.

Man I miss my sled! They are so much fun to drive!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: