The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A very SH***Y aspect of owning a C-D 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

God, do I love my PortiPotti.

Fred

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since we're all so close here, I'll explain how to get more "endurance" from the Sealand head... first of all, either turn off the water pump or put a ball-valve shut off in the fresh water line to the head. Really, you don't have to have water running through it all the time the gate is open. Now, when using the head, hold the flush petal down, allowing the pee and/or poop to drop straight down. Now, you can flush with water, but you really don't need much. If two people can't make it at least a week with that head, you are using too much water to flush. If you want to take it further for water conservation, put an old pop bottle full of water on a shelf in there and use that to flush... you ought to be able to get a half dozen flushes out of that bottle.

Each time after dumping or pumping out the tank, we put in some RV black tank chemical... it keeps down the odor and helps break down solids.

Regarding toilet paper... we use as little as necessary and put it in a zip-lock bag that gets used 'till full, then tossed. We don't flush it. Baby wipes are good to have, too.

This particular head is easy and as trouble-free as a porta-potty... well, in essence, it is pretty much a large-capacity porta-potty, except you don't carry the bottom part up the dock.

And, regarding Ron's concern about the macerator pump and hoses running through the galley storage... Joan absolutely agreed with that. Besides putting second clamps on all the connections, she wrapped the joints with plastic... if there ever were a problem, it would show up in the plastic before soiling that area.

Yes, a crappy topic, but everybody poops and pees... better to know how to deal with it to make life onboard less troublesome.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Jim mentioned Joan's wrapping the pipe connections, I ought to let you all know that those clamps on the drain/macerator hoses loosened up on my boat, even though they put some kind of white goop on the connections. I got some smelly, green dripping into the under galley cabinet!!!! AArrrgghh!

so good idea to tighten those babies up and maybe do that wrapping thing.

Although the Sealand integral tank is nice and clean, you still have problems with the plumbing. That is why I'm considering putting in an Air Head some day - when I grow up...

John
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... is it not amazing just how close we become as C-Brats?? Well, what did yall talk about today???

But...drives me to an in depth conversation between another C-Brat and I on a road trip, talking about room on a 25 foot boat, and how much true room we give up for showers and a head...

Now Dr. Bob counts real good and is always available to help us work our ways thru repairs that will some day present themselves to us all... Just like other things on this topic...sooner or later, things are going to happen.

But... looks like the fixes are in...butt, I mean but I want to add solution Number 4 to Bob's initial 3. A Pett head or similar. See new thread on Pett Heads... Wonder if Jimmy will write a song on this??? Can you just think of the words to this song at the next "Pett Head Convention.." Mr. Green

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that the Loctite 3030 polyolefin bonder worked like a charm when the inlet fitting broke off my holding tank. I also glued up some scrap plastic just to test the stuff, and found the glue as strong as the parent material.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and ideas. It sure is a big part of what makes this site so fun and valuable. Beer

I took the advice of contacting Bret at the factory and I must say, I'm impressed at the response. Bret replied promptly to my voice message and when we discussed the problem he immediately set about finding a solution. I will probably do the work myself as I am pretty good at fixing things and because of that tend to be somewhat fussy as to how they are repaired. I haven't totally figured out how to remedy the problem but will spend some time researching and then contact the factory again for their assistance. At any rate Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to the factory and Bret and Scot for their response.
Ron
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I'm sorry you have to find out all the problems and fixes for us C-25 owners. I certainly remember your help in identifying the leaks, and how they need to be fixed. Once we knew what was going on, the factory was very helpful.

Don't forget to post your fix, a lot of us will probably need it.

By the way, when we went RVing in Journey On, we used a gallon jug of water to flush the head. Its hard to pump water up when you're 3 ft. in the air, but it worked fine. One gallon lasted a day for the two of us.

The Southern Boris
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Stinky issue... Reply with quote

I agree with the folks in the thread so far and would like to offer up one additional step on the chemical weld reinforced with glass tape or the like. This is going to sound simple (but it works). The product is GOOP. It comes in a tube like tooth paste and is pretty thick and great to embed glass into. You can get it a Ace Hardware or West Marine.
Google GOOP and you'll find several kinds; i.e. plumbing, general, and marine. The good thing about this product is that you can build up layers (multiple applications to the area) and when it dries it is flexible and NOT prone to stress cracks as you are currently experiencing. Its sweet for reinforcements! This is what I used to secure a blind PVC bulkhead fitting to a 300 gallon Poly tank... works fine! NO LEAKS or vibration stress cracks.

I keep one tube of Marine GOOP on my boat along with a GOOP product (can't remember the name but it is on the GOOP website) that is 100% immune to petroleum products such as gasoline, oils, lighter fluids, ect.. This works great on steel, aluminum, plastics, fiberglass, and carbon fiber.

I have a salt water aquarium and the goop products helped me in the build of most of my filtering components. This stuff is GREAT!
Butch

Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffheap wrote:
Hi Folks,

God, do I love my PortiPotti.

Fred

Me too.

Remember that we are talking about boats.
Boat Rule Number 1 is that everything eventually breaks.
The question to keep in mind is - how bad will it be WHEN it breaks.

Wait - that is Boat Rule Number 2. Boat Rule Number 1 is - everything that needs fixing will cost more than you thought and take longer than you planned.

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that Pat hasn't weighed in yet. I put in an Airhead composting toilet. All he has to do is shovel out some dirt once a year. No holding tank, no macerator, no hoses/clamps.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here (AGAIN)---David, I'm hurt. I wrote a rather lengthy reply on page one. Don't I count? BTW, you wrote, "I put in an Airhead" when I think you meant, "HE put in an Airhead." Aloha.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clarification, Patty. I was wondering if David has an airhead in his C-Dory also.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: