The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel tank on 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Fuel tank on 16 Reply with quote

Currently I carry two 6 gallon tanks. I would like to find a bigger tank, maybe 20 gallons, that would fit under the port stern. I have two batteries on the starboard side. The kicker is also on the starboard. Anybody have a bigger tank on a 16? Thanks.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a Tempo 12 gallon on the port side and usually carry a 52 quart igloo cooler next to it under the motor well. If I leave the cooler out in the cockpit another Tempo 12 will fit under the motor well. But if I don't want the cooler out in the open and put it under the motor well, then I also carry a Honda 6 gallon in the motor well. I would just love to tear out those hull liners and put in the saddle tanks like those shown on this forum. Wish I was that handy. That would solve all the problems with space for fuel. If you get bigger Tempo tanks make sure to get the low profile caps, otherwise they won't work. For most of my boating on the Columbia, in the San Juans, and offshore from Newport I have found 18 gallons to be more than adequate. But next summer I am planning a trip up the inside to the Broughtons and will probably take both 12's.
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: fuel tanks Reply with quote

Gizmo, a 16'er has a 14 gal fuel tank under the sturn in front of the builge pump. I can carrry two Yahmaha 6 gal tanks under the forward bunk shelf. I move those tanks around for balast. Works great. I can leave them off the boat if necessary. 26 gal gives me around 200 miles range. Very Happy
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I saw the saddle tanks that Oldgrowth Dave fabricated for his boat. I say "saw" but I didn't really "see" them until he told me what they were. They are perfect. Thanks for the advice about the low profile caps. That's just the thing I wouldn't take into account without your heads up.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty - with a 20-gal tank under the engine well, you may be getting a little heavy in the stern.

• Your main engine = 200lbs m/l
• Your kicker engine = 100lbs m/l
• 2 batteries at 65 lbs each = 130lbs m/l
• 20-gal of gas + tank = 130lbs m/l
• Total not counting wire, controls & other items in your shelf = 560lbs

BME (before my extension) I carried 21 gallons of gas and had dual batteries. The batteries were moved under the port seat. Gas was in a pair of 6-gal tanks and a 3-gal tank under the engine well. 6-gal was in three 2-gal containers that I moved around for trimming the boat.

________
Dave
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank on 16 Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Currently I carry two 6 gallon tanks. I would like to find a bigger tank, maybe 20 gallons, that would fit under the port stern. I have two batteries on the starboard side. The kicker is also on the starboard. Anybody have a bigger tank on a 16? Thanks.

I have two 18g tanks W/new senders that I removed from my 1990 22 Cruiser that I would let go cheap!! Mr. Green Beer

Last edited by tsturm on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 16 I had a 12 gallon (low profile) on the port side and a 6 gallon on the starboard under the splash well. Had my batteries mounted under the port seat. As Oldgrowth stated anymore weight in the rear and you would have problems trimming the boat. Even on my 22 with both tanks full (22 gallons @ piece) plus loaded 100 quart cooler in splash well you can definately tell the difference. I think in a 16 it's mandatory that you move the batteries forward. I once carried 4 people in my 16 on a trip and had to have them move forward each time I wanted to get the boat on plane. Big plus with the 16 is you have a lot of storage area under the v berth to help with load distribution.
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. I'll put 'moving the batteries' on the winter to-do list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: