The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing a TomCat 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put a lot of thought into this and I have come to the conclusion that a Tomcat 255 would best fit a specialized trailer that is overwidth so as to get it down some. it sits so high on a regular trailer . If the trailer was wide enough for the boat to set inside the wheels it would launch and retrieve a lot easier.
the problem with a wider trailer is that you would need a overwidth permit to travel the highways and byways and in some instances would be limited to times you could be on the road.
My idea of the perfect trailer for the 255 would be a extra wide , gooseneck style with electric over hydraulic disc brakes , and LED lights. and a one ton or larger tow rig to handle the weight when stopping.
I have a plan on the drawing board for my ultimate tow rig that I will someday put together. I will start with a Kenworth T 300 and do some extensive modifications to it.
some of them come from the factory with hydraulic brakes and smaller wheels and tires so there is the starting point.the hard part is finding such a beast used ...lol...

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got back from 8000 miles (I don't know how) towing a C-25, to around and from the Great Lakes. We used Judy's truck: a 2006 Ford
F-250 with a V-8 5.4 engine and a 5-speed auto, 3.73 rear axle. Averaged 8 mpg towing.

I know the C-25 isn't a Tomcat, but it isn't light either. We came over Rabbit Ears Pass (11,000 ft.) on US-40, in Colorado. 2nd gear up, 1st gear down (damn RVs.) On the interstates, cruised at 65-70.

My point is this. 95% of the time one is cruising on fairly level roads. For hills, the other 5%, use the transmission, that's what it's for. One can buy the diesel, or the V-10, or the 454 so that you can go up hills faster, but that's only a short distance, and the rest of the time one doesn't need it. Those bigger engines are expensive to buy and run, exclusive of fuel.

ANY engine of 5.4 liters (330 ci,) will do the job. What one needs is a good rear axles (3/4 ton and above,) good suspension and rated towing capacity (11,000 #.) And a good auto. I know the DORF 5 speed has given trouble, but they did redesign it in 2005, and ours has worked well. I understand the Chevvie has a 6 speed this year.

Boris
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, You're right, a CD-25 isn't a TomCat. The TC is a whole different animal. When I worked at a Ford store, I put together a tow rig for my 8000# boat. The F-250 has a 460 cu. in. engine, Banks controlled E4OD, 4.10:1 rear posi axle and towed that boat wonderfully.

Using the same truck to tow the the TC-255 is a scary (brakes) and frustrating (power) experience. It simply doesn't do the job. Spending money on anything but a diesel to haul a TC would be a big, expensive mistake IMHO. I limit my towing to trips from storage to the launch ramp. This winter's project, A new tow rig and convert the brakes to electric over hydraulic.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger on the Sensei -

Like you, before actually owning a TomCat, I was leary of the height and ominous look of that catamaran on it's trailer. However, the actual towing experience has been very very pleasant just as it comes from the factory. They seem to have solved whatever trailer loading and unloading problems the early designs had - I drive my TomCat right up to the stops, and float it off - no sweat. Easier than some of my earlier 16 - 21 foot boats. I have had no brake problems - you could set the electric over hydraulic trailer brakes to stop the truck by themselves, if you want.

It is very stable and I have no problems in handling it on the road with my Ford 250 Super Duty in spite of some allusion earlier to the 3/4 ton trucks too small for a TomCat. I can definitely say that the Ford 250 is large enough and stable enough for most towing of the TomCat. You are just going to have to slow down up the steep hills and mountains - like a big RV.

John

Last edited by drjohn71a on Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I didn't have any problem either bringing Captain's Cat home, about 75 miles. I've got a Dodge Ram 2500 with the V-10 and the boat sits on a Load Rite trailer that was apparently built for the Tomcat. There's a big square support in the middle that fits in the tunnel and it's impossible to get the boat off center. You just gotta be sure you're in far enough because if it's a steep ramp, the cranking can be laborious if you're not up far enough. The previous owner got the boat almost there, drove up into the level parking lot and very carefully did a short quick stop. The boat slid right up to the stops! He had planned to put some of that slippery stuff on the bunks and I think I may do that too!

I only have the hydraulic surge brakes but they seemed to stop just fine for me.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger- does the kid still work at Paccar? if so maybe he can get you a deal on a new Pete 325...a nice looking class 5 truck

here's an interesting tow rig site- http://truckhome.com/groupee/forums/a/cfrm/f/4511056082

just think, way back in the early days of trucking, if you had 90 hp, you where in the chips Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: