The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Poly-Glow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Poly-Glow Reply with quote

There was an unused Poly-Glow "kit" in my boat when we bought it, so after hours of scrubing, buffing,and waxing....I decided to give it a try.
I was able to get a fairly nice shine with compound and wax below the rubrail, but didn't have much luck with shine above the rail, where the effects of the elements really took their toll on the gelcoat.
I experimented with the poly-glow on the cabin roof this afternoon. I have 4 of the 5 recommended coats on, and I must say that the difference is amazing! I think the 5th coat will give an even shine, just like the instructions say. No streaks like the first several coats. It goes on quite easily, a bit difficult in tight areas such as around the rooftop rails, but not too bad.
I did use the included cleaner to remove the wax that I had applied.

I'll post more as I test this product over time

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this product before, but your comments are right in line with the advertised testimonials! How hard was it to use the prep product? And how careful do you really have to be to get even coverage when applying it?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prep is basically a cleaner, it removes any wax, and when used with a scotchbrite scrub pad it will help remove any oxidation. It also removes the poly-glow if need be.
It took me about 1.5 hours to apply the poly to the top of the cabin (4 coats). the first few coats streak really bad, bad enough to give you that "what have I done!" feeling, but each coat gets smoother and smoother until there's an even, and very high, gloss.
The coats dry very quickly, and once I realized that each coat had less streaks, I didn't worry so much about getting the first few coats as even.
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Poly Glow Products Reply with quote

I recently used the full line of Poly Glow products on my 1995 22' Cruiser. We purchased the boat in June and although the previous owner had kept the boat mostly in a covered lift out of the water, time and the Florida weather had caused a lot of oxidation, particularly noticeable in the dark green highlight stripe along the sides of the boat. A large tub of rubbing compound was included when we bought the boat and I was contemplating going that route when I saw an episode of Ship Shape TV during which the Poly Glow products were advertised. I contacted the company and after explaining the condition of my gelcoat, the salesperson recommended that I also purchase the Poly Ox product which is designed for highly noticeable oxidized areas such as the stripe and the transom which had stubborn staining of exhaust oil.
I started with the Poly Prep pruduct which did a beautiful job of removing the oxidation and old wax from the white parts of the boat. Next I used the Poly Ox on the stripe and transom and after allowing the boat to dry thoroughly, I was ready to apply the Poly Glow.
The first coats were absorbed quickly, but as I worked my way toward the 4th and 5th coats, the shine really improved. Quite frankly, the boat looks almost new and I have had several comments to that effect. (As you know, people who have seen a C-Dory, particularly here in Florida since they are so rare, will come over to the boat and ask questions about it.)
The Poly Glow was quite easy to apply using the very tight cell sponge that comes with the kit. The sponge is similar in texture to a chamois cloth which allows for a bubble free coat. Even in the areas where I carelessly let a drip form, I was able to remove the drip if it had dried, with some of the Poly Prep and re-coat the area.
I think I paid about $60 for the entire kit including the Poly Ox and I can only say that I am now a believer and will be a future user. An additional benefit is the ease with which I can clean the boat after a weekend in the water. I am even able to wipe the oil residue off the transom with only my hand. The Poly Glow forms a hard finish which does not absorb oil or waterline scum. I was told by the salesman that the product should last for about 1 year if the boat is primarily trailered, and about 8 months if the boat is left in the water. I should be able to simply clean the boat and apply a new coat next year rather than stripping the boat down entirely.

I am as they say, "A satisfied Customer".

Tad
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poly Glow and similar products have been around for a long time. Some are better than others. Basically the build up over time, and some yellowing are the major complaints. There is nothing which is as strong and durable as the origional Gel coat--except two part urethane paints--and there are pluses and minuses with the urethanes.

I have never been tempted to use PolyGlow, because of the problems down the line.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Anne-B

City/Region: Suburban Philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: ANNE-B
Photos: ANNE-B
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Poly Glow Reply with quote

I have used Poly Glow on my 1992 CD 22 for several years. I got it at the Annapolis Boat Show. Makes the black eyebrow and stripe look like new.

Doug
Anne-B

teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Poly-Glo Reply with quote

We used Poly-Glo on our Monk 36 after almost a year of Florida sun. We did the entire top of the boat including the non-skid. It was a lot less work than compounding and waxing.

It turned our really well. We sold the boat shortly after the application so I cannot tell you how well it held up.

Fred, Pat and Mr. Grey (the swimming cat)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: