The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canvas enclosure screen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Canvas enclosure screen? Reply with quote

Do the factory camper enclosures use screen and windows?...or just windows?
I got a quote for a top to fit my frame today, quite reasonable, and he'll work on the sidewalls once the top is fitted and he can get good measurements. I'm having long windows put in the sides, probably 16" tall centered at eye level. Just can't decide if I should get screen at the windows too.

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snal,

I think most of the factory (King) camper backs only have vinyl window sides - no zip out screens are standard. I think one could have King Canvas make something else, but don't know if the factory/dealer gets involved in that any more.

I also think the Pacific North Westerners seem to have less need for screens than Southerners or MidWesterners. It gets really hot down here and the evening mosquitos, etc., can be a pest. Screens are nice, but they slow down the cooling breezes too, so it's a toss-up whether to have no screens and use insect repellant and be cool, or have screens keeping most bugs out and stifling from the heat with little breeze coming thru.

Some of the Southerners should be piping in here soon.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the King Canvas for the CD 25, because I felt I didn't have time to have the local canvas shop make the camper back. I had the local person do the TC--and it was much better quality--better material, (Sunbrella Plus, 4 bows vs 2 bows, better quality fittings etc).

The screens were not offered to me as a option by King--but I probably would not have gotten them. I will have a local make pure screens--not zip out windows. Just replace a pannel which has clear with a pannel with Sunbrella and screen.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dtol

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shade Tree
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Sunbrella Plus Reply with quote

I am working on an camper back for my new boat right now and the local upolstry guy who is very experienced and used Sunbrella recommends not to use Sunbrella Plus because it sweats inside in Alaska climates.

Anyone experience this?

Any Fool Can Be Uncomfortable
snal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll skip the screen,and go with windows. Does anyone see anything wrong with only having windows up at or near eye level (centered here) and maybe 16" tall yet wide? Figured I'd get a large one at the stern.
I imagine using the full enclosure to either keep a bit of heat in...and/or rain out...bugs will be bugs.
New local guy is doing the top first, from the Sunbrella Plus, with full zippers ready for the sidewalls for $425. This is roughly a 7' x 8' area. Total job is estimated at $950 including the sidewalls (regular Sunbrella)...and this is using my framework, and I am installing the snaps on the boat.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had screens made for my camper back. It allows air flow on those warm days. We spent a few days down in San Diego in Feb. a couple years ago. It was wet and cold- we were nice and warm in the boat cabin and camper back with the door open and the wallas going.
We have roll up covers for the screens to close them when we want to.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot comment on the Sunbrella plus in Alaska (the boats which I had up there used plain Sunbrella)--but in Florida, where we have high 90's humidity, there is no sweating or problem with it. It is definately more "waterproof" than the plain Sunbrella. Also consider having the thread being gortex and monofiliment--that way there is no UV degridation as you may have with dacron thread.

There are multiple ways to customize the camper back--and all work well.

If you look at the Thataway album, we only have small side windows--but the entire back is clear. We like the privacy of the side windows, and not having to worry about large windows being scratched if rolled up. For us it is rolled up or not--and if it is closed, we want full protection, and don't worry about the view out--but that is just our experience.
snal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

There are multiple ways to customize the camper back--and all work well.

If you look at the Thataway album, we only have small side windows--but the entire back is clear. We like the privacy of the side windows, and not having to worry about large windows being scratched if rolled up. For us it is rolled up or not--and if it is closed, we want full protection, and don't worry about the view out--but that is just our experience.

I think I'll be able to see anything that I might need to see with the windows as I've described. If I need to see more then I can open one of the zippered doorways that we plan to have on both port and starboard.
I think we're on the same track here as with "thataway". My thinking is that we'll likely have the sidewalls rolled up while underway for full vision.
dtol

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Shade Tree
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Gnats Reply with quote

The Gnats in some of the beautiful anchorages in Prince William Sound Alaska can make life absolutely miserable and keep you indoors. There will be screens on mine.
CaptainRon

City/Region: Swansboro
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Wave Walker
Photos: Wave Walker
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Cockpit enclosure with screens by King Canvas. Reply with quote

We ordered the factory enclosure for our C-Dory 19 through our dealer and requested the screen option. The enclosure was well made and fit perfectly. The zip in panels were made of sunbrella and extremely heavy clear vinyl with screens sewn on the outside of the vinyl. The vinyl panels zip open and roll up to allow ventilation. These panels work well during the cooler months here in coastal NC, but do not allow enough air movement during the warmer months. So, I took the original panels to a local guy and had him make an exact copy of the panels but with just screen. They work great. Helps to keep the boat cooler and almost bug free.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: camper package Reply with quote

When I ordered the King camper package with my 25 it came with screens. I like them. I keep the camper package on the boat when in the slip but with the windows rolled up. My boat still stays much cleaner if I'm gone for a while then when I'm not using it, it keeps people from boarding to look around ( leaving foot prints ) and I like the large windows it came with. The screens would let in the small critters but keeps out the big ones. If I spray the screens with bug spray it keeps the small ones out a while too. I never travel with the sides on for some reason (I don't know why) but do put them on as soon as I stop.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the screens under the eisenglass in our camperback and wouldn't have it any other way. Roll up the windows and you have nice flow-through ventilation; roll 'em down when you need it to keep out water or cold. Even in the heat, we generally keep the camperback on. It adds greatly to the livablilty and keeps the cockpit dryer and cleaner. Two enthusiastic thumbs up. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Best wishes,
Jim B.

pcator

City/Region: Fletcher
Vessel Name: Donna Marie
Photos: Donna Marie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have both windows and screens just like James TXND.

Patrick
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunbrella Plus Reply with quote

dtol wrote:
I am working on an camper back for my new boat right now and the local upolstry guy who is very experienced and used Sunbrella recommends not to use Sunbrella Plus because it sweats inside in Alaska climates.

Anyone experience this?

Here in Western Washington, I had two canvas people tell me the same thing about Sunbrella Plus, so I decided not to use it.

I do have large vinyl windows in my canvas enclosure and I like it for the visibility. I made shades to cover them for privacy when docked or sleeping on board.

________
Dave
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I will have a local make pure screens--not zip out windows. Just replace a pannel which has clear with a pannel with Sunbrella and screen.

This is the way the local guy, affiliated with EQ Marine, does it, so I will probably do it that way also. However, I am not sure I understand what the benefit of this way is over having the eisinglass roll up and down over the screens. For example, if it rains on a hot night you can roll down one or two sides and still have screens.

I can see a benefit in having the whole panel zip out, however.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: