The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

40 HP Merc 2-stroke, disconnected oiler--good idea or no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: 40 HP Merc 2-stroke, disconnected oiler--good idea or no? Reply with quote

So, brothers and sisters--I'm back.
Sold Snowdon (CD 22), then bought Pudge (1989 CD 16 Angler), with a @ 1990 40 HP Merc two stroker which runs fine, but the last owner disconnected the auto-oiler, so I pre-mix now. He said he disconnected the auto oil injector because in engines with some time on them, he mistrusted the oiler to do its job. My question: what do folks think of this reasoning, what do folks think of this engine in general (should I repower?), and what would a reasonable price be on this boat, in good condition for its age, equipped with VHS, compass, AM-FM, and fish-finder? I'll tell you right now, I bought the boat on an impulse (as above, sold beloved CD, then saw beautiful deal on Craigslist one day, and jumped on it) but the boat is a beautiful piece of design--much easier even than a CD22 as a trailerboat (dropped in each time), runs like a witch, and looks--how do I say--mucho cool.
For those who remember my earlier posts--I'm still working for FEMA, wandering around the country when I can, and wishing that at some point in the history of the world, I will actually be able to make it to one of the Chesapeake get-togethers. Best to all, Bruce Holly
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know but still impressed with FEMA op in Pt Charlotte Fl after Hurricane Charley. We saw them installing blue traps of roofs from dawn to dusk. They wanted to tarp our roof but fortunately we were in mid-repair and waiting for the fiberglass to setup on the sky light then apply 2nd layer. Unable to fully repair until 8 months but so glad to see them in the field. Same kudos to FPL and other electrical service crews from outside of FL. They worked in the heat 24/7 yet offer us their water and Gatorade. I thought I share this experience since FEMA has been a moving target and so little success stories told. Thanks a million!

Last edited by BrentB on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bearh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Thanks, Brent Reply with quote

Thanks, Brent--
Hope you're all back up and running by now. I agree with you--in a disaster the field electrical crews are really something. Bruce
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pre-mix. Disconnecting the oiler has been done on motorycles for years. Just like most things, all is well until something in the oiler fails and then the engine ruins itself.

I made the recommendation to my Dad when he picked up a nice used 16 ft starcraft fishing boat with a Johnson 50 hp. Variable Ratio oil (VRO). You have heard the saying if it aint broke don't fix it? Well, he should have fixed it...

I rode in it just once. It would just lose power and barely run above idle. Then other times run good for a while. No abnormal screeching metal to metal scrub noise noted. He had a few highly recommended mechanics work on it. One was a marina that did a big buisness on Lake Cumberland and another guy was on the Ohio river. Both saw a large volume of engine troubles. Non picked up on the fact that one cylinder was not getting oil. When one guy discovered the problem he cleaned up the cylinder and popped in new rings. If it works fine, if not it's junk. The engine was shot. I never did hear what the exact cause was for not oiling one cylinder.

All it takes is a crack in the plastic tube, power failure to pump ect to cause a fail. The earlier alarms where just a low oil level alarm. Not a not oiling alarm.

One problem never mentioned is the buildup of condensation or moisture intering the oil tank from washing/rain. Oil floats on water, the oil tank pumps the water off the bottom and even with a proper functioning oiler can still ruin your day/engine.

If you want to get the best mix and buy oil by the gallon. Get a ratio rite. It is an inexpensive mixing cup to measure the oil vs. the quanity of fuel mixed. I always mix oil/fuel in a seperate fuel can. Then use that can to top off the boat tank. That way your mix will always be accurate (good for the engine) and the least amount of smoke. It is hard to do sometimes but most oil cans recommend you use the mix within 30 days of mixing for the freshest mix. I add stabil to my fuel and a gallon of 2 cycle mix for my weedeaters/ leaf blower/chainsaw usually lasts 90 days if I don't work hard. If I work hard it goes much faster...

What is the oil ratio for the Mecury? I had a Yamaha 15 hp. that used 100:1 oil mix. Hardly any smoke at all.

Bearh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Chris-- Reply with quote

Sounds like disconnecting is a Good Idea. As for what the ratio on my motor is--I mixed up some fuel once, and haven't had to since, so Embarassed I've forgotten, will do a little research, but I think it was 50:1. I also "think" my motor is a 1990, so I will need to check my papers and make sure. (I also should probably stabilize any gas I put in the tank, given that I will probably not be able to run it all out before being called out somewhere far from the boat for a while.)
Other than fouling plugs, and pollution, the engine probably likes mixes that are a little oil rich, so its safer for the engine to err on that side, no?
Thanks for your comeback. Very informative. Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: