The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 25 Purchase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck jr

City/Region: Stillwater Mn
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: C-Dory 25 Purchase Reply with quote

My first post, and have several questions over a range of issues:

Have narrowed my search for a boat to travel the rivers here in the midwest and the great lakes to a C-Dory 25 or a Rosborough RF-246. Both boats have similiar charactieristics in terms of performance, with the ability to cruise slowly and and efficiently while still being able to go fast under the right conditions or to get away from the wrong conditions.

Will probably go the C-Dory route as there is about a 25k$ differential when both boats are equipped with what I would want on them.

A popular motor on the Rosborough is the new Yamaha 150. The have to use motors other than Honda because of Hondas warranty issues between Canada and the US. My first question does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Yami 150. On paper it looks good. On the Rosborough boat it performs very well. I have no idea how it compares to the Honda 150, any comments?

I am equipping the 25 with a refrigerator, wallas stove, anchor windlass, swim step. I have read that some owners have asked to modify there 25 as it is being built, are there modifications to the standard boat that you would recommend.

Also getting a second battery.

Any other thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.

There are two dealers realtively close to me and both of them seem to be straight shooters, and pretty close in price to each other.

May go the Yamaha route just to be different, and give everyone another data point.

Chuck
C-Puffin

City/Region: Issaquah
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Puffin
Photos: C-Puffin
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 25 is being rigged right now with a Honda 135 and 15 kicker. I did read a few articles where they compared the Yamaha and Honda, the Yamaha was said to be a little quieter and smoother running. So I would think the Yamaha would make an excellent engine choice.

It sounds like you are getting the boat well equipted, the only additional option I can think of that you might want to consider would be the opening front center window.

I also upgraded the marine head to a vacu flush system along with going to a 11 gallon hot water heater.
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck not many Yamaha owners here in C-Brat land. Think myself and Red Fox are about the only ones.
I run a 115hp 2-stroke and have been very pleased with it and would like to stay with Yamaha when I repower. Only thing that would make me change to Honda is the lack of dealer support for Yamaha here in Oregon.
Single dealer in all of the Portland area and they excel in sloppy work delivered 2 to 3 weeks late.
I think the Yamaha has some minor advantages over Honda but either would give years of reliable service. If your happy with the local dealer go with the Yamaha you will not be disappointed.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent issue of Trailer Boats Magazine did a head-to-head review of the Honda and Yamaha 150's. They seem very comparable on performance and economy. As I recall, the Yamaha has more cubic inches, which should translate to more torque (torque is king).

We went with the Honda 135 and Honda 15 and are very happy. Too soon to report numbers on performance and economy.

Either engine would be a good choice. Very Happy

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
chuck jr

City/Region: Stillwater Mn
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: CD 25 purchasThanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments, about my hopefully soon to be Sea Dory. Need to make the decision this week as the boat is on the line for the dealer and any changes I want will be to late on Monday. Completetion date is June 28. The dealer had ordered the boat with dual motors, I will change that if I order. Probably will go with the Yamaha just to give all of us another data point.

Thanks again

Chuck
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck;
Congrats on the new '25 coming your way. I, too, am looking forward to a new CD25. Like yourself, I compared the Rosborough and the CD25. I had a chance to sea trial both.

The RF246 was narrower inside. I'm 6'2" and found it a little 'close'. It had a great ride and being from Boston area, WAY BACK when they had old lobster boats a plenty, I looked at these with a close eye.

My 1st mate pointed out a minor item that I did not see. When she was sitting on the Mates seat and the the side door was open, it would be possible for her to be thrown out. [Her concern, not mine; but, somewhat valid.] With their side doors closed you lose the ventilation they provide, for the windows do not open in the sliding doors.

All this is to say, I believe you made the right choice. I do not expect to take possession till abt mid to late Aug.. I will have all rigging done here in VA Beach/Norfolk, VA. and home port her in VA Beach. We are still working on a new name. Our old boat was an 18' SeaRay named SARAH GRACE and the CEO would like something different.... This NoName will be rigged with twin 90hp HONDAs w/ 4 blade SS Props.

I am looking at various electronic 'toys', but will need to try and keep the overall height below 8', if poss.. The next break point is 9' for dry storage charges. BIG difference here between the two. The other item is how much space is on the captains console to mount gear? What are the tolerances with the overhead shelf?

I'm suspect you may be going down the same creek. Any info you may gather would be helpful. I should prob'ly contact the dealer with these questions, or Les.

Again, congratulations on your 'find'. .... art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: