The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat Boat Lift Configuration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boodalu

City/Region: Lake Ozark
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: BOODALU
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: TomCat Boat Lift Configuration Reply with quote

I am soon to get my new TomCat into the water. I had a lift installed in my slip but want to make sure my boat will fit on it. The bunks on the lift sit on two large plastic tanks with a frame and are 29 inches high and 45 inches accross the top. I need to check length but it looks at least 15 feet or more. I would attach a picture but don't know how (such a newbie). Supposedly the lift maker checked it our; however .. . . .
Thanks in advance.
BOODALU
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boodalu-

I can't give you dimensions for your Tomcat 255, but I can tell you that I've seen numerous Hydrohoists (common brand out here in California) set up for pontoon boats which are fairly similar in their hull shape demands to your Tomcat.

Above each of the air tanks there are two bunks that form a "V" for the round pontoons to rest on. I believe the Tomcat will require a similar arrangement, perhaps with some adjustmenmt of the individual bunks to accomodate the particular shape of the catamaran hulls.

If you find that centering the hull over the "V" bunks to be a problem when inflating the tanks and raising the boat, side-rail/guide-ons can be added to the Hydrohoist structure.

What you really need to do is to get ahold of the folks who installed your lift and have them finish the installation by fitting the lift to your boat. They're the experts, and fitting the lift to your boat should be part of the installation!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 feet should be long enough. You want the bunks spaced about 5' 4" center to center (This is from my trailer). You will also want a tunnel bunk or outside guide rails--which will allow you to center the baot. The tunnel bunks are about 32" wide, centered on the trailer. This will allow the boat to be centered on the lift bunks. Best to have a minumal "V"--basically flat, maybe 10 degrees max, of two 2 x 8"s--true dimensional lumber and be sure that the transom is supported--but the lift does not need to be aft of the transom. (not as far back as the bracket).
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the installers were informed of the total weight on a loaded TomCat. I had an estimate for a lift which tripled once the weight of the boat was taken into consideration.

I'd be amazed that someone would charge for installing a boat lift without making it fit your boat, unless you arranged for a do-it-yourself discount.

John
boodalu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: tomcat lift coniguration Reply with quote

Factory set me straight. Lift installer will se it correctly

"I met with our engineer after reading his email below.
The bunks can be 30" wide and can run 226" long from the transom.
The tunnel is 31 ½" wide at the transom.
The 226" is the length of the tunnel from the transom that is level.  The remaining distance (79") tapers up toward the bow.
The bunks can be level for 226" so the TomCat sits level on the lift.
These are approximate numbers therefore make sure you actually measure and make adjustments according to your measurements"

PS the bunks should at least be 18"+ high. .

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recieved this information from BOODALU. As I read this, they are planning on supporting the Tom Cat on the bridge deck. My personal feeling is that this is a very bad idea, unless it was run by the engineering (?) dept at C Dory. I believe that the boat should be supported under the hulls.

The bridge deck is not designed to take the load of the loaded boat as a support. The bottom of the hulls, are designed to support the weight on a trailer.
boodalu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Lift Config. Reply with quote

I confirmed with C-dory engineering the boat CAN be supported by the "top" of the tunnel by the lift bunks. I am going to do it and will let you know what problems, if any occur. Wish me luck.
BOODALU
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that is a money back guarantee? Goodluck--I would be sure and have some padding on lateral bunks, because of the curve at the edge of the tunnel--you want to be square on the very center. It would be most interesting to see what the laminate schedule is at this center bridge deck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: