The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/18 - 06/20 - New England Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: New England Rendezvous Reply with quote

Well there are about 4 boats and a couple interested so far.

Antonio's restaurant is actually in New Bedford ( just over the bridge from the Moby Dick Marina) at 267 Coggleshall Rd.

I couldn't get reservations on a Friday night there. But, they said if I got there by 5:30PM we should be able to get a table for 8. So, we'll be there by 5:30PM to get a table.

Rick & Carol
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

The cruise in New England was successful. We all arrived at the Moby Dick Marina in Fairhaven on Friday.

INN-THE-WATER started her cruise in Nantucket on Wednesday morning at about 0745 Hours. I used GPS navigation from buoy to bouy and arrived in Hadley's Harbor at about 1100 Hours for lunch. I then went to Pocassett River and tied up and toured Pocassett town and went to see my Life Insurance Salesman. I then took him for a boat ride and came back and moved the boat to a marina in Manomet. Great Place.

Thursday, I went sailing on a 40 foot Hinckley Sloop with other friends. What a sail. Had a chance to freshen up on my sailing. We met another boat in Hadley's for lunch, and powered back to Pocassett. (No wind).

We took the Skipper of the Hinckley out to supper.

On friday I practiced my skills in navigating in fog with a GPS. I listened on Channel 16 and caught the "Security" broadcast, including a tug and tow coming up Buzzard's Bay. Arrived at Fairhaven about noon, and had lunch. I then went to the marina which was located at the head of the Harbor at route 6 Bridge. Took a nap and was woken up by Rick who arrived with HUNKY DORY on a trailer. Carol was with him. We talked and compared boats.

Dave and Valerie arrived with WIDGET by trailer. We set up the boats and went to supper at a restaurant. We met Dun Smith and his wife at the resturant. Another fellow by the name of Dave showed up.

They all went back to a motel for the night and I slept on board.

On Saturday I was invited to go with Dave a Valerie on the WIDGET and went with the HUNKY DORY to Cuttyhunk Island. It was like going back to the fifties in time, except for the ATV's that are used for transportation along with Golf Cars on the Island.

Running the newer hull was great. It cut the water better than my 1983. The cabin was bigger and it seamed to have more room for storage. The next day I had a chance to compare how the boats ran in choppy weather, because it was choppy on Saturday.

Another supper with the boat owners, and on Sunday I left for Nantucket. The weather was clear so I did not need the GPS in that I had sailed the waters often in the past. The weather was blowing and the waves were choppy. The weather report called for 15 to 25 knot winds on late morning. I started at about six AM and figured that I could be to Nantucket by ten AM. It took me exactly that time to do the trip.

After slogging across Buzzard's Bay, I found Vinyard Sound to be calmer. I was able to make it across the sound to Poge at about 16 knots, though I thought of retiring, first at the USCG Base at Woods Hole, and Oak Bluffs. Something told me to keep going, because I had to get back to work in the Inn. Also, being an adventurer, I wanted to see what the boat could do. I knew the engine was good, the skipper knew what they were doing, that the boat could do it, though not as well as the newer (post 1986 hull) models because of my experience with the WIDGET on the day before.

Boy was it rough. I could not get the boat going much more than 10 knots because it "seemed" to rough. The slower I ran, the tougher it was to steer. The faster I ran, the more the boat pounded and the feeling I had that she would fall off a wave and yaw. The boat with it's flat bottom was not cutting the waves the way the WIDGET did.

When I arrived at the mouth of Nantucket, after experiencing the roughest seas I had ever done, I surfed with the rollers into the mouth of the channel. (All I could think was I should reread he Chapter in Chapmans about "Running an Inlet."

After thought tells me that maybe I should have not made the trip, at least from Martha's Vinyard. But I am glad I made it.

I have come to to conclusions from this trip. I have to get a newer cruiser model, maybe pickup a boat that needs a new engine. I have 5 years on the warranty of my 75HP Yamaha Four Stroke, and get another engine for the INN-THE-WATER. The seas I encounted are more the rule than the exception. Also, even though I have a bigger cockpit, the accombinations of the cruiser model are well worth the change.

I met some great people and had a great time. Maybe I should attend a rondevous in Florida this winter.

Fred Heap
THE MAN FROM NANTUCKET

Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: New England to Maryland Reply with quote

Fred--
On the way to Florida, consider a stop in Crab country. We'd enjoy the company, and would love to show off the Chesapeake to you in return for local knowledge about your area. We've been out to Martha's Vineyard once, and are looking forward to visiting Nantucket sometime soon, probably (who'm I kidding--surely) in the off season.
Our get together down here was about the same size as yours--three boats. But I bet we we averaged a lot less water under us than your cruise did--I don't think I saw more than 4 feet on my depth sounder the whole weekend we were at Cod Creek. Thin, but beautiful water. Bruce Holly, on "Snowdon".
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: New England Rendezvous Reply with quote

The 2004 New England C-Dory Rendezvous was super. 5 C-Dory crews met for the first time, and enjoyed swapping C-Dory stories, eating, cruising and sightseeing together. We lucked out with fine weather, and the many area sightseeing places.

Friday night, we were a noisy table of 8 at Antonio’s Portuguese Restaurant, where the servings were humungus, and food delicious. We got to know about each other and plan cruises for Saturday. Its amazing how much we have in common, especially when finding out that 2 other crews had family history at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard where I worked.

Saturday’s cruise to Cuttyhunk (the self proclaimed Striper Capital) started in overcast conditions but cleared to a sunny day. Dun & Becky lead us thru the Harbor, where they had previously cruised. At Fred’s urging, we anchored Hunky Dory, and used Widget as a Water Taxi into the Marina, to reduce the Marina charges (good idea). We toured Cuttyhunk by foot, climbing to the lookout platform. Then returned to the Harbor only to find out that the Water Taxi Widget charges $30 a piece to take us back to the Hunky Dory ( I think that Fred was in cahoots with Valerie & David to split the profits). After rafting for Lunch, we returned to Fairhaven. Then we got to take our wives to the Antique Mall, and sight seeing before having supper at another Portuguese Restaurant. Again, great sea food. Then, Fred performed Vessel Safety Inspections and awarded stickers to Widget and Hunky Dory.

Sunday, Inn the Water returned to Nantucket, while Widget and Hunky Dory cruised to Hadley’s Harbor. As Fred reported, the water was bouncy. Hadley’s Harbor is a beautiful anchorage, where we rafted for lunch. Toured Wood’s Hole, of the Oceanographic Institute fame, and took photos of Nobska Pt. lighthouse. It is surprising how small a C-Dory looks compared to the Ferries and Research Vessels. After a rocky ride across Buzzard’s Bay, there was time to get to the New Bedford Whaling Museum and Historic Park.

For lighthouse aficionados, we passed 5 different types on our cruises. The Hunky Dory should have a bumper sticker that says "This boat swerves for Lighthouses".

We’re looking forward to the next C-Dory Gathering.

Rick & Carol from Maine
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: New England Rendevous Reply with quote

Bill and Mike, please set up an album for the New England Rendevous. Thanks! Also, I authored a rather long narrative on the get-together and was apparently logged off during the process as a result of my slow typing skills. I could not find my message afterwards. Is there a way for a skilled nerd to find it and post it?
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got you an album, OK, but I don't know what to tell you about your missing message. One thing to remember when something doesn't work the way you expected on here, you can usually use the browser Back button to get back to your edit page where you were typing (if you haven't closed and restarted the browser, that is).

I am enjoying your tales! Thanks! Here's your picture place.

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have to agree with Rick's assessment of C-dory people. They are GREAT PEOPLE. As for the $30 bucks. I ain't talking.

Fred Heap
MAN FROM NANTUCKET
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: New England Rendezvous Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the photos, David & Valerie. You guys certainly captured the flavor of the gathering and now we can prove that Dun attended the rendezvous, too.

However, Carol managed to find a gift shop even out on Cuttyhunk, so I didn’t come out of that one unscathed, either. ( Apparently, you just can’t have too many Xmas ornaments from C-Dory cruises.)

Rick & Carol from Maine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: