The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Pricing question on a '83 16' angler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach R

City/Region: Washington
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Pricing question on a '83 16' angler Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm new to this great forum. I am thinking about buying a '83 16' angler c-dory. It is in average condition and has a '83 Johnson 35 hp motor. It has no extra equipment/accessories and a basic trailer.

The guy selling it was asking $7800 originally and I have managed to talk him down to $5,800. I REALLY like c-dorys and want to get this one, but I am on a tight budget Sad . I wanted to get all your expert advice. What do you think is a fair deal?

Your help with this would be greatly appreciated Very Happy
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zach,
Two years ago I bought a 1989 16 foot C-Dory angler with a 40 hp Johnson from Verels here in Shelton Wa. for $4800. It was in fair to good shape but the blue trim color was very faded. The engine ran good and the trailer was in good shape. I was satisfied with it but had a chance to get a 2003 from the factory with it as tradein and they gave me $5000 for it. I have seen others in that year range for between $4000.00 and $8900.00 so it depends on the condition more than anything else. Just make sure the hull is not soft anywhere and check compression on the engine to make sure it is even and up where the manual says it should be. I have a manual and will look to see if I can find it and give you a number to shot for. Hope you find a good one soon and come to our gatherings.
Lyle

City/Region: Washington
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyle,

Thanks for the reply, it was really helpful Very Happy . I'll make sure to check what you mentioned before I go ahead with the deal.

Take care and Happy boating Razz
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the book and it has a very long explaination on compression check and crankcase pressure. It would be best to go to your public library and read it from their manuals. They usually have them in and you can check them out to take with you as you do the engine check. Where is the one you are looking at? Can you get it out for a test run? Watch them start it cold and again after it has warmed up to operating temp. Look at the engine power head for discolored or scorched paint. That is about all I can think of right now.
Lter Lyle
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want some of whatever that guy is smoking Cool .

On a 21 year old salt water boat with the original small 2 cycle engine, all you're buying is the hull and MSRP on a new 16 Angler hull is under $12K.

No accessories on the boat is actually an advantage. No need to strip out obsolete electronics, etc.

Keep pushing the price down, you'll need the money for an engine and electronics. And trailer tires.

-- Chuck
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach R,

In the end, if you feel that you are happy with what you paid then it was a good deal. I do have to agree with most of Chuck's blunt statement. We have a 50 hsp. Honda on our 16' Angler and I would not want any less hsp. You will also want to put the options that you want and that will apply to what you are using the boat for. A test drive and a trailer trip to have a dealer inspect it would be a good thing.

Good luck and welcome to the Pub. 16' Anglers ruuuuuule Twisted Evil

Jon

Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure do.
Cat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: