The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

wiper blade parking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: wiper blade parking Reply with quote

From: Alma's Only (Original Message) Sent: 10/10/2003 4:14 AM

Our CD22 2003 came with AFI 1000 electric wipers, which is standard. Their operation left something to be desired, in that only one wiper would “park” automatically. So, to shut them down while underway, we had to manually locate the on/off switch, remember which wiper turned off at whatever position it was in when the switch was thrown to off, time throwing the switch, and then allow the other wiper to park automatically. Distracting, and needlessly so.

I’ve posted two photos, titled Wiper Blade Parking. One is of the wiper units, and the other is a copy of the AFI’s wiring diagram for two units. If you are having the same problem we were, take a look behind the helm panel, and you’ll probably see that one of the blue (actually, more of a purple) wires has been cut.

The fix is to kill the power to the panel, reconnect the cut blue (purple) wire, AND install a minimum 5 amp diode in the red power supply wire running to one of the units from the panel switch. The diode is Radio Shack part number 276-1661, and comes in a pack of 4. Install the silver banded end away from the positive power terminal, and toward the wiper unit. Although the diode can be installed in either of the two red power supply lines, it makes more sense to put it in that for the port unit. That way, when you turn the wiper switch off, the helm wiper parks first, and the starboard unit, after sensing that the other has parked, then follows suit.

Since diodes are sensitive to solder gun heat, I used in-line crimp connectors, covered by heat shrink tubing.

Don’t try to fix this by just reconnecting the severed blue (purple) wire. I haven’t tried it, but the manufacturer advises that doing so will result in the wipers failing to park until they are both in synchronization. Since they’re independently operated, that can take a very long time to happen by accident, which is probably why the factory fix seems to be to just cut one of the wires, which puts us where this all started.

I tried this back in June and it didn't work. I'll may try your Radio Shack part number and see if that makes it work.

I currently control each wiper separately (two switches) which I thought would be a hassle, but we often only get hull spray on one side and there's no need to run the opposite wiper on dry glass.

-- Chuck

Maybe this is related to an annoying problem I have had on the Clara Mae. About 25% of the time when I turn the wiper switch off, they continue to run for a time before actually parking. The time they run after the switch is turned off varies. Most of the time it is only a few seconds. Sometime, however, they run for several minutes making me want to rip them off and throw them overboard . Sounds like your note above: "... the manufacturer advises that doing so will result in the wipers failing to park until they are both in synchronization"

I always figured it was a bad switch I would get to replacing one day. I will have to check out the wiring at the panel and let you know if I have what you describe above... with the blue (purple) wire connected.

Guess this wiper parking problem isn't just MY problem, thought I had a defective wiper assembly (maybe it is?). Had to run one of them for about 1/2 hour during a rough trip, then it wouldn't stop and park when I turned the power switch and breaker off. It finally did about 15 minutes later. Poor design with all the others having similar problems!

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: