The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor Light Short

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Anchor Light Short Reply with quote

From: MichaelOnTheClaraMae (Original Message) Sent: 5/25/2003 11:15 PM
After about 80 hours, my anchor light has started shorting out and blowing its 10-amp fuse. I thought it was moisture because it would work for a while but now, it shorts right out even when bone dry. The wiring at the panel looks good. Hopefully a poor splice under the cabin brim... can't imagine what else. I will need to run this down tomorrow. My green light stick is going to bring me a ticket before long.

Michael on the Clara Mae

I have had that problem before and it was in the head, where the bulb meets the contacts. It's under the little round insulator that holds the contacts in place, they can get sloppy and start touching each other, I think it's a defective one. If not then it's just old and needs replacing. However, I was able to disassemble mine and repair it. They need a little shot of a good marine anti corrosion spray to keep them in good repair.

OH, another thing that could be going on is, there could be too much slack in the wires inside the shaft. That will not allow the contacts inside the head to 'relax' and stay separated from one another.

"You just can't get good help these days" is what they must have been saying around the C-Dory shop last December. There was not a trace of caulk under the anchor light base or screws. Then instead of running the wires through a hole in the mounting bracket they tightened the bracket down on top of them. It was only a matter of time before the insulation rubbed off and they started shorting out.

I taped it up so at least I have an anchor light tonight. I will have to fix it right when I get back next weekend.

Thanks for the advice Red.

Michael on the Clara Mae

Wow! well thanx for reporting that Micheal. So true, one cant find good help!

Michael on the Clara Mae> Saw your picture of the Clare Mae sitting on the trailer. Can you tell me the make of the trailer? The Clara Mae sits low and snug between the wheels. Like the looks of it. I am nearing a purchase point for a 25 and would prefer the best trailer I can get as I will have to trailer to get to big water. Thanks.Mikewhosgonnabuyadory.

I took delivery of my 25 in Dec'02, it sits on a Pacific galvanized bunk trailer with side bunks. They put 102" axles on it to allow it to sit down 4-5" between the fenders. Only about 1" clearance on each side between the fender and the boat so purchased a pair of 24" cheek bunks (that's what I call them). Mounted them low and snug to the existing rear bunk supports to center the boat properly as it settles on the trailer. The rig tows great and stops wonderfully (thanks to 4 sets of SS Disc brakes). Mine was constructed up at the Newark, Calif plant. Mine was their first ever, but now should have the design figured out.

Only drawback is that it's heavy, about 2000-2100 lbs with spare tire and all. I considered an aluminum trailer but the boat would sit considerably higher, but might save 400-500 lbs.

Good luck,

Steve

MikewhosgonnagetaCDory (Great Name),

My trailer is a "Magic Tilt" made in Clearwater Florida and came with my boat sold to me by Three Rivers Marine located in Crystal River Florida. You should be able to contact Magic Tilt directly. I am happy with the trailer... over all a nice piece of work with excellent brakes and a built-in hose connection to wash-down the brake drums. Hope this helps!

Michael

Ummm, just checked the nav lights on my 16 Cruiser and they're NO-GO... Steaming light is OK, so the circuit is working. Haven't used them yet, but will pull the cover later today.

-- Chuck

Wire break at the mechanical crimps. Time to get in there and use some solder.

-- Chuck

Chuck,

Were the breaks at each running light or at the panel?

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: