State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueseas wrote:
Dave,

I appreciate any additional pictures you care to post. C-Pup and your boat the C-Voyager are impressively equipped, and have given me a lot of ideas for winter projects!

Thanks again,
--Scott

Scott - I want the Brats to see the boat after my modifications in person first, then I will post photos of it.

It’s maiden voyage after the modifications will be Thursday the 19th when I depart Olympia for Bellingham, for the CBGT.

I will post photos after that.

________
Dave
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment about AIS (Automated Identification System) mandated by SOLAS on many commercial vessels. See:
http://site.ialathree.org/pages/AIS/aisfaqs.pdf for an excellent explaination. It is not a "coverage" as it might be with DSC or a VST scheme. It is dependant on the various vessels using the AIS transponders. For the most part in small recreation vessels we are limited to recievers at this time. (FCC has not approved a number of units which will also transmit and be suitable for small boats).

The resolution of radar does not depend on its power. You are correct that the penetration of rain, may be better with 4 KW--but again with over 100,000 miles using radar, the 2KW has always been adequate.
What is important is the descrimination of targets--and that is dependant on scanner antenna size--the wider the antenna, the narrower the beam and the better is the descrimination--the ability to recognize two targets which are close together.

A height difference of 8 feet off the water or 12 feet off the water for a radar antenna, makes no practical difference. For the most part small recreational boats will be on a 3 to 4 mile range of the radar. (Perhaps going to 16 miles peroidically)--and the targets will mostly be at least 4 feet off the water--(some exceptions, such as lobster pots with radar reflectors on the floats).

The only time I have lost GPS signal in open water, has been in the proximity of military vessels. The "shadow" of a radar antenna in the center of the cabin top, is very small, when the GPS antenna is mounted off to one side, or fore or aft of the antenna (again out of the direct beam). Actually I have run GPS successfully with internal antennas in the C Dory 22, 25 and TC 255.

It is that occasional gas station, or other low obstruction which we don't think about which can catch a boat with an antenna which is high. We have a 2 meter Ham antenna on our truck which is several inches higher than the highest item on the C Dory/Tom Cat cabin top.

Absolutely, a compass and paper chart are required items on any boat. But so should be a DR position every XX minutes. This is what we used to do before GPS--I wonder how many folks do this now? All is well and good in excellent visability--it all of a sudden becomes much different in pea soup fog. Having the radar, to show the shore line/boats, and landmarks, as well as the depth sounder to show bottom contours helps in any navigational situation. Of course, we carry a hand held GPS and VHF radio in a sealed metal box, along with a lead line...just in case...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
blueseas

State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
blue it sound like you fly a little. What type of plane do you have. I don't fly my self but both my parents are pilots. They have had a 152, a piper cherokee ( I think) low wing and a cardinal in the past. now they just fly dads CJ-6. Dad just flew the arlington air show. He just earned his Fast card for formation flying. Really loves it.

I have my certificate for Private Pilot - Airplane Single Engine Land, and obtained it in less than 53 hours of flight time. I'm currently logging time towards my Multi-engine, Instrument, and Commercial ratings. I did most of my training in Cessna 172SP's, model year 1998 and newer with the Bendix/King KLN-94 GPS and KMD-550 moving map displays. The 2004 model year has an HSI, and the 2006 model year has the Garmin G-1000 glass cockpit (you ain't seen nothing till you see two color 10.4" LCD displays dominating the panel). I've also logged time in a Piper Seneca V Turbo, which was a blast! Two 220HP turbocharged Continental engines that literally push you back in the seat - what a rush. It had built-in air conditioning, too, which was nice considering it was over 90 degrees outside which translates to about 120 degrees in the cockpit.

Longest trip to date was from Maryland to Florida which took about 8 hours to fly in a 172. Beautiful trip. Things sure look a lot different from 4,000 feet. Almost peaceful. A story for another time... Very Happy

Last edited by blueseas on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
blueseas

State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrowth wrote:
Scott - I want the Brats to see the boat after my modifications in person first, then I will post photos of it.

It’s maiden voyage after the modifications will be Thursday the 19th when I depart Olympia for Bellingham, for the CBGT.

Have a safe trip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: