The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help, Dead Windlass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the problem is resolved and you can get back to the serious business of life: fishing!

I would suggest that when a boat is purchased (new or used) that you go thru the circuits, label all of the wires. I have a small labeler which we keep on each of the boats. We traced out all of the wires on the Tom Cat and the CD 25, added fuses, breakers where appropiate (by ABYC rules) and labeled each end of the line, plus tried to label all of the fuses.

The two windlasses I have on the C Dory boats have a direct "X" switch, rather than selenoids. (I have the Lewmar 700 and 700 FF (free fall), which are virtually identical, except for the mechanism which allows the clutch disengagement on the FF unit.

These smaller windlasses are low power draw. In most of my other boats, I have used selenoids--but in the smaller power draw, I belive that the direct switch has an advantage by its simplicity and avoiding putting selenoids in the area which is often wet (anchor rode locker).

Also, look very carefully at all of the crimps, insullation and if wires have been partailly cut or pinched. You may decide, as I did, that some of the wires are undersized, and run parallel circuits to the major bus bars.

It is farily easy to add a bail to the anchor pulpit--and in John's case, that will probably be advisable. Just a piece of 3/16" thick x 1/2" wide (approx) SS, bent in a "U" shape, and bolted or tack welded to the sides of the anchor pulpit will suffice. I agree that it is advisable to avoid the foredeck, especially at night in a seaway!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-

Good idea to keep the solenoid out of the rode locker!

I've only installed two windlasses, but have avoided putting any of the electrical equipment other than the windlass itself, in the rode locker.

On the CD-22 I put the solenoid on the bulkhead on the back of the helm along side the breaker and up/down switch which protrude to the other side, and on the Sea Ray, put it in a sealed ammo box under the v-berth along side the dedicated windlass battery and its charger.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
I agree on the larger boats is is often best to put a separate battery bank foreward for only the windlass. This was cheaper when copper was at half the price it is now! We did this on all of our larger boats. Also many larger boats will have muitiple stations for the windlass activation: a deck switch, a bow hand held remote, a flying bridge and pilot house remote--etc.

Many larger boats may draw up to 500 amps when the windlass is loaded, and the shorter the wires, the better (less voltage drop).
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-

The primary reason I went with the dedicated battery on the larger boat was the difficulty encountered when trying to bring 00 gauge wires forward from the batteries in the stern to the bow of the boat. Didn't want to drill a half dozen or more pairs of 5/8" holes in all of the bulkheads and compartment separators.

Joe.
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great timing for this post as I'm also having operating issues with my two year old Sprint 600 vertical windlass.

I applied the multi-meter directly to the two wires entering the windlass and read 12.7 volts with the toggle switch switched to drop. I didn't notice a breaker switch on the windlass. Am I correct in assuming my problem must lie within the windlass? I removed the plastic cover which encases the motor and noticed a significant amount of rust on the bottom of the motor casing which would leave me to believe I've experienced water intrusion into the motor.

Does anyone know if it is practical to replace the motor? I'm not sure this is something I would tackle myself. So, I start considering installing a new windlass but it appears the manufacturer has discontinued this model. Not sure I would want to replace with same if the problem could re-surface in the future. Any ideas? Thanks, Tim
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Story wrote:
Great timing for this post as I'm also having operating issues with my two year old Sprint 600 vertical windlass.

I applied the multi-meter directly to the two wires entering the windlass and read 12.7 volts with the toggle switch switched to drop.

Sounds like your motor isn't responding. Try the "up" position. The polarity should reverse, since this is a permanent magnet type motor.

I didn't notice a breaker switch on the windlass. It really should have one somewhere.

On these smaller Simpson Lawrence (now Lewmar) windlasses, the full amperage goes through a double pole double throw switch with an "X" set of jumper wires on the back of the switch to reverse the polarity. Follow the wires from the battery to the switch, then to the windlass. Somewhere there should be a circuit breaker, and it is usually installed along side the up/down switch, although back by the battery would offer better protection for the entire wiring package.

Am I correct in assuming my problem must lie within the windlass? I removed the plastic cover which encases the motor and noticed a significant amount of rust on the bottom of the motor casing which would leave me to believe I've experienced water intrusion into the motor.

I think you're right about this!

Does anyone know if it is practical to replace the motor?

Yes, Lewmar makes and stocks parts for these windlasses, and there are thousands of them in operation everywhere. The parts, however, are so expensive, that replacement of the entire unit is sometimes more practical.

I would suggest you pull the unit, and open it up and look at the motor. A good electrical shop can replace the brushes, turn the armature, or even re-wire the armature. You may just have enough corrosion to break the contact surface and simply need a good cleaning out with a brush and gentle polishing of the armature contacts with fine sandpaper, all of which you could do yourself,. Be sure to add oil to the bearings while you're at it.

I'm not sure this is something I would tackle myself. So, I start considering installing a new windlass but it appears the manufacturer has discontinued this model. Not sure I would want to replace with same if the problem could re-surface in the future.

You might want to consider why or how water is getting into the windlass to prevent repetition of this problem. Do the seals appear to be intact? Is it salt water or fresh? Are you flushing the windlass off after salt water use?

Any ideas? Thanks, Tim

Hope this helps!

Joe.
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for your helpful response to my inquiries Joe. I noticed somewhere the other day that a replacement motor was around $500 and the new V700 was guaranteed waterproof to 3'. I'm a thinkin the long term solution might be to replace the unit. Tim
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to replace the unit. However, I have had several windlass motors reconditioned by local starter shops (we have one which works on all types of marine elements as well as cars and trucks).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: