City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
Sea Wolf: Your bow light is an awesome bit of rigging! To what extent does it interfere with your field of vision during the daytime? How has the light held up? I'm definitely interested. Mike.

Mike-

Since it's always been there, I don't notice it, nor is it a problem to see around.

It's never given me any mechanical or electrical difficulty of any kind, and has never had the sealed beam lamp replaced.

The stainless steel body is like new, being mostly used in fresh water and being washed after each salt water use.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one might get away with running head lamps and/or spot lights turned on while underway on a lake, but don't try this bit of seamanship while underway makingway on rivers with commercial traffic. one just might get there lights turned off, if you get my drift!
pat
ps: i've notice that many lakes have little or no uscg influence. that is to say, channel 16 is trashed with prolonged meaningless chatter, so i could see how running lights might be employed.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent points here. Definately the Tugs on the Gulf Coast ICW run one or most likely two spotlights on all of the time. I am not sure about the "legality" of this, bit that is what is done. These light up the shoreline at least a mile away--very powerful, and many times that of recreational boats. Despite pleas to turn them down or off, the tugs rarely will respond. This is one of the rare discourtesies which we see from the tugs.

I don't ever run a spot light, or flood light full time on a boat--and have sailed many tens of thousands of miles in the dark. It is just not necessary--unless you are in crowded anchorages, where you might spot lite a specific object--and then you loose your night vision for at least 5 minutes. (keeping one eye closed helps some). But the point about the loss of night vision, and boats comming from the side, is very valid--and is a safety issue. You must retain your night vision, or you will miss the running lights of a boat comming toward you with the right of way.

On the other hand, I do agree that the light as mounted will not cause a problem with the radar. I happen to like to put the spot light on the bow pulpit, if you have a permently mounted spotlight--or have it way up on a mast or tower, where it will not illuminate the deck. Personally we are using only portable spotlights, night vision scopes and our night vision--Radar when necessary and practical...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you, Bob!

I raised the question of using lights at night (and in combination with radar when necessary) to create some discussion and interest.

I've used lights when necessary to relocate anchorage when necessary at night on a dark lake, but don't recommend it as a way of tourning heavily used waterways, and like most everybody else, want to be anchored down well before dark and travel only during the daylight hours.

Nonetheless, when you have to go somewhere in the black of night and are not on a major traffic lane, it seems to work out OK.

Our local Sheriff's Department goes out when necessary in otherwise total darkness with lights ablaze and without radar.

I've never used night vision devices, but I'm sure that they would be of great assistance, especially in the more recent generation types.

Have a great recovery and get well soon!

Joe.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who only need a fixed light occasionally check out the eleven dollar wonder in my album. It is a 55 watt halogen, magnetic base light with cig adapter. When needed simply stick it on your anchor and run the wire thru the anchor deck pipe to the cig plug. This light hangs completely out of view from the helm and works as good as much more expensive lights. When you don't need the light simple pop it off and stow for the next time. We also carry a hand held for spotting at all angles.

Speaking of hand held spot lights. I was in Advanced Auto the other day. There was a hand held spot light SO BIG that I thought it was an advertising prop. But it was for real. It looked like a landing light for a 747. 17.5 million Candle power. It came with a shoulder strap, runs/charges off 110 volt or 12 volt and runs off battery, and has a low and high power. I didn't get to see it in action but it sure seemed like a boaters deal at just $39.95. Now when those tows illuminate you, you can return fire... It’s not how big your boat is but how bright is your light? Thumbs Up

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
I semi copyed your light--I found a "tractor utility" light at Walmart for about $9, and put a magnet in its base--can be put on the anchor as you suggest--and have that available if I had to use it comming into my bayou. But even with the darkenss of the bayou, that has not yet been necessary.

Now, as for spotlighting the bridges of commercial vessels--I would be extremely cautious about that. The reason the tugs stoplight the banks, is that the tows are pushed head of the tug. We will see up to 9 barges ahead (more commonly 3 to 6)--and at 100 to 150 feet in lenght--this is a considerable tow--they have to see marks and banks way ahead to avoid running aground. We just pull out of the channel, usually behind a marker, and let the tug and spotlight go past.

I agree that there are some places it is best not be out at night, but there are plenty of other places where it is a delight to be on the water in the evening hours and is generally quite safe. Generally I run at displacement speeds (less than 7 knots) after dark--the only exception is open ocean or up "my" (Perdido Bay) local waters, where it is extremely rare to see another boat on the water at night. But even there, one has to have an extra set of eyes searching the water, as well as being able to check the radar regularly.

There are some quite good 2.5 generation night vision monoculars such as the Fujinon PS910. I only have a generation 1 night vision scope--and although it will show objects well, it is not sharp.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I had an Uncle that ran tows all his adult life on the mighty Mississippi. He used to dock at the base of the Gateway to the West. Interesting tow trivia. They burn a lot more fuel going down stream than up. Always reversing to maintain control. I would never illuminate a big boy or anybody else, unless ofcourse, they where running me down... Just thought the 17.5 million candle power would come in handy for those boats that are always looking for the next channel marker. At 39.95 it has to be a bargain.

I can see where the night vision would be beneficial. I have used several types in the military from the starlight scope on up. The latest is the greatest. Haven't seen any of the commercially available stuff.
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the upper Chesapeake and the C&D canal, spot lights are almost
never used when running.

However, the C&D is well lit with nav aids as well as what can best
be described as 'street lights'. Outside of the C&D, the channel is well
marked with lighted bouys and range lights.

Once in a while, you see someone out running around with a spot light
on. Best to stay well away from them since if you are 'seen', you
won't be seeing anything else for a while!

It's a good idea to carry a light, though. One night we had to look for a
swimmer, and another time, a very narrow inlet (50'?) This was
when SA was still on, so the GPS didn't get us lose enough...

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: