The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Main Circuit Breaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Main Circuit Breaker Reply with quote

We were about 2 hrs from home Saturday and lost all 12 volt current. It wasn't fun crossing the Chesapeake without tabs but we pulled it off. Periodically there would be enough juice for the radio and/or GPS but adding anything else killed it again. There was nothing readily identifiable as the problem. I assumed I had a corroded connection somewhere less than obvious. About 20 minutes earlier I had used the windlass (on a separate circuit) to lower and raise the anchor.

In digging around today (Sunday) the problem appears to be with the main breaker. It didn't appear to have been tripped and pushing the red button and then pushing the black lever back to normal operating position had no effect and there was no clicking noise. On a hunch I pushed the lever about 1/4 to 3/8 of and inch up inside the circuit breaker case and electricity returned.

Right now the breaker seems to be working correctly (i.e. punch the red button, push up the black lever and the click and electricity both take place as the black lever becomes flush with the case) but I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement breaker because I'm guessing the current one is defective in some really miserable way. I'm ruling out that it might have tripped and the black lever not come out, because then there wouldn't have been any juice at all on the main panel. Anyone think I'm off base on this conclusion?

We may be going out tomorrow (probably just on the South River) before the new circuit breaker comes in but I know how to finesse it if I have to so I'm not very concerned.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: