The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

RF-246 Sedan Cruiser vs CD-25 Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: RF-246 Sedan Cruiser vs CD-25 Cruiser Reply with quote

I'm looking for a technical / nautical comparison of the two boats. If someone was looking at both of them - which boat would fit what type of cruising. What are the handling differences, etc. for similarly rigged boats? Thoughts ? Pros and Cons of each ?

Tom
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom-

We have some C-Dory owners who have owned both, so we'll be anxiously awaiting their comments.

For those unfamiliar with the Rosborough RF-246, take a very interesting look HERE.

And HERE is a link to the C-Dory factory website on the CD-25

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked at both before bying the CD 25. I also have subscribed to the R 246 list for several years. For the most part the Rosoborough 246's are used more as slow speed trawlers--but they do cut thru rough chop better than the CD 25. The handling down wind and wave, is described as down right scary by some R 246 owners--but this is not uncommon in deep forefoot semidisplacement boats.

The V berth is definately smaller than the CD 25--and many folks cut the handing locker down in size, or elimate it to get enough length for a person over 6'.

The plusses are the hard top over the aft cocpit--doors on the side--not sure I like that, because they will leak in the right conditions. There is a dedicated navigator seat. The galley may be slightly bigger.

We chose the CD 25--with the same power, it will go considerably faster. The down wind ability is far superior--and the V bunk and shower are both better.

There are several members who are both owners of the CD in the past and currently own R 246, as well as being dealers for the R 246. I think it boils down to priorities--speed, down wind vs up wind, etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took a short test ride on one. It was strangely powered with a
Honda 225 on a bracket. It had electonic fuel flow gauges and at a
fast cruise (20?), it used a huge amount of fuel - 20 gph, I believe.

The only thing to take from this is perhaps don't hang a Honda 225 off
an RF-246. The owner said he did this because generally he ran the boat as a
trawler, but occasionally, wanted to be able to really move.

They are neat boats, but we couldn't find one in our price range powered
by a 150 or so outboard on a bracket.

In the end, we decided the CD-22 would be a better match.

Mike
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An apple vs orange thing fer sure. Different boats, both good. Bob is exactly right - the interior is a personal thing. If you are too tall for the bunk - decision made. Bob doesn't like the side doors, I do. I single-hand most of the time. When docking, just like the commercials, it's sure handly to flip the loop of a fore or aft spring line over a cleat or bollard, work easy against the spring, and step out and fasten the dock lines.

As to seaworthiness - best to ask the guys who run them regularly. The Canadian RCMP uses many of the Rosborough boats - and they are also used in commercial applications in all kinds of weather. They were originally sold as commercial hulls, and have fulll floatation. They are heavier and more expensive than the 25 C Dory. My WAG is at least 20 or 30 thousand more out the door with similar equipment and on a proper trailer.

Fuel economy? I don't have a clue. I ran two Stamas boats for a couple of years, which are similar hull forms, and used 2 NMPG for planning purposes at a 20 knot cruise. I'd guess the Rosborough would be iin that ballpark and have a comfortable cruise in the 15-18 knot range. A 225 Honda would be a good choice for me -- economical at my normal cruise with the ability to really move if necessary. I''ve heard the RCMP hangs a couple of big engines on them to use for high-speed interceptors.

This is certainly not the best place to get info in the Rosborough -- lots of C Dory information here, and very little hands-on operational experience with Rosborough.

Dusty
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took a sea trial in both models, RF246 & CD25, before we decided which to put our $$ in. Like others, we too, tracked both for some time.

Hull differences are obvious and the ride reflects this; from the shallow draft to the 'V', etc., so I won't go there.

A noted difference was mentioned for some one 6' tall, or more. I'm 6'2" and found I could just touch the inside bulkheads of the RF246 and had to stoop down to enter more when entering the RF246, with the standard top. The inside width of the CD25 is more and the inside height is also more.

While on the sea trial of the RF246 we had an occassion to encounter [~3']broadside wakes. The RF246 handled well, but we had the port side door open. My wife was sitting on the seat by the door and thought she was going to fall out. There weren't any screens in the door to help ventillation, so it was left open. This could be corrected, I'm sure, and safety netting of some sort would meet most needs like there are on some sailing vessel handrails setups.

We felt we got more 'bang-for-the-buck' with the CD25 with the setup we desired on Sea Angel. AND, it is built in the U.S.A..

Either boat is a first class vessel for what they are intended for. The factory response from both companies is proactive. It still comes down to use and style, in my humble opinion and 2 cents worth.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom & Shan,

So, I guess it's about time to be thinking about moving up, huh? What has it been now on the CD19, about 6 months? Wink

Tom wrote:
If someone was looking at both of them

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how they get 100% posisitve flotation with more tankage and comparable space?

Steve
hughpenk

City/Region: Waterford--Intersection of Hudson River/Chaimplain Canal and Mohawk River Erie Canal
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: CD 16 (hughpenk)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rosborough may have more storage as there is underfloor storage- but the CD-25 has better gunk-holing capabilities due to less draft. The roof(s) of the Rosborough is non-skidded and can support your walking on and some weight like kayaks,bikes etc. The out board engine motor extensions make for a good sized swim platform. The gunnels are a little wider than the CD-25 making walking around the outside of the boat fairly easy. The quality of hardware is good and I have not found non-stainless anywhere. And the factory guys\owners are excellent craftsmen and were very accomadating when I needed assistance- above and beyond the usual. I now own the Rosborough cruiser and the C-dory 16 cruiser. It is close to a perfect world, the only thing better would be to own a CD-25 AND a CD-22. A "4" boat owner! So many boats, so little time......
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see both side by side at Wefings. I have all the C Dorys , Ranger Tugs, and a new RF 246 as well . Different ways of achieving the same goal ! They all have their strengths . All great boats !
Marc

Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rosborough is more expensive and has an available diesel option. It might be enough heavier to need a triple axle trailer. It is likely to be less fuel efficent unless the diesel option is chosen. The Ros is a nice looking boat.

Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: