View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Fuel Flow Computer Reply with quote

The price of fuel has renewed my interest in fuel flow gauges. The Standard Horizon/Navman 2" units accurately display g.p.h., fuel used, and fuel remaining. When hull speed is available a little math quickly reveals your m.p.g.. I see that Navman now also offers a unit(3100) that interfaces with your G.P.S. via N.M.E.A.0183. This provides continuous flow rate data(mpg) as well as distance traveled and projected range in miles or hours. It too uses a 2" hole but the display is 4.4" square. I'm trying to decide if these features are worth the extra $100.00. After all, once I've determined my flow rate throughout the R.P.M. range I'll know what the most efficient engine speed is. I would appreciate the thoughts of fellow C-Brats before I decide which way to go. Pete

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, just took a look at the specs, it looks cool! Can't ever have too many gadgets. Not sure I've got room to mount one but I'll take a look. Saw it for $350 less a $75 rebate for the GPS linked one. No sure where the transducers for the flow go or how hard they'd be to install but it shouldn't be too bad. Seems that NEMA 0183 GPS signal is linked to lots of stuff now, even the VHF.

Let us know if you get one and how it works. I've got 45HP twins and it would be neat to see how they're doing.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking into this same fuel flow meter a few weeks ago, and called up their tech support to ask a few questions. The unit specs say it's for 90HP - 300HP 4 strokes.

The reason for the 90HP minimum (according to the tech), is that accuracy is much less at lower fuel flows - he even said not to expect good results from a 90HP if you spent a lot of time at lower RPM's. He said forget it on a kicker, or in my case, on a shared fuel line when the kicker is engaged. He mentioned the fuel monitoring sender is the same on the 3100 as their less expensive models.

I have seen a couple posts over the last year from folks who installed a Navman, and they liked them - but, they all had larger motors (115HP+).

Floscan has just introduced a new line of fuel flow meters, specifically designed for low fuel rates. They claim accuracy down to 0.3 GPH, well within the range of our mains, and possibly our kickers. Link is here - Broken Leg Dave is getting me a quote on one, should have it tomorrow. I'm looking at the 5410-20A-1 model, which has a 0-10GPH range.

Historically, Navman meters have been quite a bit less expensive than their equivalent Floscans - my guess is this thing will be over $300.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, The transducer for the Navman must be installed in a 3/8" fuel line between the fuel filter and the engine. I've got gps data via NMEA 0183 to my new VHF(dsc) but assume I can "feed" additional electronics as well. However, my enthusiam for this unit cooled a bit after I read Bill's post. You see, I'm still running the Johnson 70 and I fear it's relatively low fuel flow may be a problem. Bill, thanks for your input and the link. The Floscan model is the one I would need also. Please re-post when you get your quote from B.L.D.. Pete
Da Nag

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Leg Dave's price: $297.46 delivered, no tax. He OK'd me posting it here, said to contact him if you find it lower.
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good price on the Floscan Accutroll, Bill. I expected it might be more than that. Did Broken Leg Dave give you a time frame availability on it?
Da Nag

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave said immediate shipment - drop shipped from the manufacturer.
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: floscan accutroll vs 7000, navman Reply with quote

I'm rigging a new 22 and went with the Floscan 7000 (http://www.floscan.com/ModelSelection/marine/models/multifunction/series7000.html). Haven't had it in the water yet, so I can't tell you how it will work, but I wanted the multiple functions (hour meter, tach, flow meter and total fuel consumption). I couldn't find everything I wanted on other single units.

I talked to the manufacturer about the differences between the 7000 and the Accutroll. The selling point for the Accutrol supposedly is that it's accurate in the 0-10 gph level, including at idle. It shows consumption via analog display in 1/4 gallon increments. The manufacturer tells me, however, that the 7000 uses exactly the same sensor, so accuracy levels at low consumption rates are the same. The read-out is different in the 7000, and of course it has the other functions. Its also pricier, but I got it for $373 and change from Consumer Marine Electronics. From what I was told, I don't think that low consumption rates should be the deciding factor in choosing the Accutroll vs the 7000.

Floscan also has a 9000 series that interfaces with GPS to give you mpg. As with all of those other equipment choices, I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The added "plus" in my decision to have Les "outfit" the new Sea Shift with the twin Johnsons was the inclusion of the "SystemCheck Commander Tachometer/Fuel Monitor/Hourmeter". All of these features are combined into one unit. The LCD displays the following information for each engine:

1) Engine Hours (which is only when the engine is actually running, therefore if you forget and leave the ignition on with the engine not running, the "hour meter" is not running...as is what happened on my 16').
2) Fuel Level
3) Fuel Flow -displays current fuel usage in gallons or liters per hour.
4) Fuel Used
5) Fuel Remaining (which also features a Fuel Remaining Alarm to warn you when there is only a certain amount of fuel remaining).

Since, I've only been able to be out on Sea Shift three times since acquiring possession of her, I've not utilized all of these features yet. I have used the "engine hours" and the "fuel flow" features.
While cruising, I was able to observe on the LCD for each engine what my current fuel flow was for each engine. They certainly seemed to be "in sync" as when each engine was at the same RPM's the fuel flow meter on each engine would match.

C-Brat #16
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in seeing a little burn-rate chart at various RPMs and conditions when you have some more observations...

DaveS wrote:
The added "plus" in my decision to have Les "outfit" the new Sea Shift with the twin Johnsons was the inclusion of the "SystemCheck Commander Tachometer/Fuel Monitor/Hourmeter".
[snip]
While cruising, I was able to observe on the LCD for each engine what my current fuel flow was for each engine. They certainly seemed to be "in sync" as when each engine was at the same RPM's the fuel flow meter on each engine would match.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Pat.

Too bad we didn't talk about it when we were on our return trip together from the Lopez Island Gathering. I was observing the GPH at various RPMs as we were cruising together. It certainly seems easy enough to locate the "soft spot" for fuel efficiency. Smile

I'm really thrilled about the electronics that Les installed on Sea Shift. I'm still at the "bottom of the learning curve", but in time it will all come together. The capabilities of all these electronics are awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: