The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rust Proofing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksidener

City/Region: Piers Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Side
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Rust Proofing Reply with quote

I'm in process of outfitting C-Side with the appropriate safety gear to comply with Candian Coast Guard standards. One requirement is to have a minimum of two 5BC fire extinquishers on board, one is intended for the galley and the other for the engine area.

I have identified a good spot for the one for the galley. I am still debating for the one on the outside of the cabin for on my 22 Crusier.

Either way, the extinquishers themselves are rechargeable, which I will have certified each year as required. However, the mounting brackets are a pretty low grade stainless steel for the wrap around band and the bracket itself is simply painted.

I know these will become serious rust candidates especially the one out in the outer deck area.

I would welcome any suggestions from the wise and sage crew of C-Brats that can speak to any rust proofing agents that might hold off the raveges of the briney deep environment in which these tinny things will wind up existing. The extinquishers have a really good finish on them and a little wax now while they are new should hold them in good stead, but these mounting brackets have me concerned.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Kelly
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the surface if already painted, and has some stainless, I would suggest "Corrosion Block" by Lear. I spray my engine block and "under the cowling" regularly with this. The other product I use is T9 Bioshield (this leaves a waxy surface)--I tend to use this on tools, and metal surfaces. Both are good.

If you already have rust--then it is an entirely different process, and you want to remove all paint, get down to good clean metal, use phosphoric acid to convert the iron to an innert material, and then use a good primer and finish coat...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to recommend the Boeshield myself, but I was waiting for someone with more experience to answer first.

As Bob says, it leaves a waxy surface layer, which I find dulls the shine of chrome some, but for the protection I'll take a little less shine. Wouldn't hurt to apply it every couple of months.

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look into the woody-wax products. The spray bottle of woody wax can be used on all brite work. It's not cheap but it's supposed to protect well.

http://www.woody-wax.com/
ksidener

City/Region: Piers Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Side
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Rust Proofing Reply with quote

Thanks All,

After a little googling ( is that a word) and exploration based on Sarge and Thataway's input I'm good to go.

I'll try both in different locations and with any luck report back.

Cheers,

Kelly
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rust-proofing fails, make your own brackets out of white PVC pipe and attach them with good stainless bolts. Line the pipe with closed cell foam to get a tight fit to hold the extinguiser firmly.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: