The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

50 HP Honda on 22Ft classic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T Lats

City/Region: Yakutat
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: MYRIAD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my lower unit has been going for some time now and it did!! I have ordered one and will see if this helps my W.O.T problem. The prop is 11 1/4 x 13 so I am hesitant to change this until I am set up with a new lower unit. Something has not been right down there all winter and I finally figured it out with a big bang right out of the harbor!! We managed to limp back in and get it out of the water it just did not sound very good.
I will get the new unit on and keep the post up to date

Thanks

Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T Lats If you are looking at a hydrofoil consider trim tabs. They make a world of differance on these boats.
Tnx, Jimbo
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josepepper: If your engine mount and everything checks out good at the stern I would suspect your handling problems could be caused by water buildup in the space under the v-birth. This situation could cause your bow (heavy) to ride low and make the stern lift and slide. Leaving you disappointed in your boats handling. Trim tabs would not help this situation.

Two known ways for water to collect under the v-birth: Check your anchor locker drain hole. Many were drilled higher than the locker floor. This let water puddle. Then the hole to the outside of the boat was not properly sealed. This lets the water flow down inside the hull into the flotation chamber under the v-birth. Some people drill a tiny hole at the center floor base of the v-birth. With the bow raised on the trailer, water should flow out this hole if it has entered the chamber. When the water stops plug the hole with a dab of sealant. Others have cut a 6" hole behind where the porta pot sits and installed an inspection cover facing aft.

Another way for water to build up is that the screws/holes used to hold the brass rub bead on the bow bottom "V" were too long. Allowing water in to the chamber. With boat on trailer bow down. Remove screws. See if water pours out. Add sealant and reinstall screws.

quarnet

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Roger
Photos: Jolly Roger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Motor prop speed and rpm Reply with quote

I'm running a brand new 70HP Yamaha, replaced the old 1989 with an 07 and with the stainless steel Yamaha 17K prop I am getting apporx 18mph at 4200 rpm and 25-30 mph at 5200-5300 rpm all depends on tides and wind etc. Quite happy with the light weight 238lb 70 2strokes. When I thought about adding 100-120lbs of weight back there I decided to stay with the traditional 2 stroke on my classic 22 Angler.
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I thought about adding 100-120lbs of weight back there I decided to stay with the traditional 2 stroke
I'm still running my original '89 Johnson 70 and my thoughts track closely with Quarnet's. If I had to re-power tomorrow I'd likely have Johnny rebuilt for a couple thousand. I haven't been able to justify a new motor no matter how I massage the numbers, fuel-savings notwithstanding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: