View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: ST6001 Autopilot problem Reply with quote

Here's an interesting problem. My compass reading on my autopilot control head is weird. It's off about 90 degrees from the GPS COG or my boat compass, and the boat icon on my C80 chart display is cockeyed. It shows the bow of my boat traveling at a severe angle to starboard as I proceed down a course. Kinda like I'm crabbing. Then, to top it off, my chart display started to rotate, as if searching for the proper heading. I successfully calibrated the compass (9 degrees of deviation) and then adjusted it to the COG using the heading calibration....all successfully for maybe a minute before going haywire again. My COG and my boat compass agree.....it's the fluxgate compass for the autopilot that's off. Called Raymarine and they had me check to make sure there was not some metal near the fluxgate compass unit (there is not), and gave me some specs to check with a multimeter (beyond me). So I have an appointment with an electronic tech next week, but wondered if any of you had experienced this.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sure look for some electrical, magnetic field, or metal near the flux gate compass (I assume that it does not have the rate gyro option).

Any chance that there was an error in the compensation? Any circuit changes, or other electrical changes? New anchor, new windlass? Any chance that the mounting of the flux gate failed or allowed rotation?

What measurements did they want you to take. They should be fairly easy to do.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
seahooked

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: WA
Photos: SeaHooked
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I had a very similar problem with a C-80 system earlier this year. The only thing that was working correctly was the radar (it might be worth verifying since I noted you have radar also). My problem was interference with the fluxgate compass. Are you sure you've located the compass and not the unit it connects to? It's a small black 'hocky puck' located on the right wall under the sink (on the CD25). I had a folding chair under the sink that created the problem.

2006 CD-25 Cruiser "SeaHooked" 2006-2012
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Do you have anything metal or an item like a flashlight in the shelves on the inside of your cabinet door? How about something on the outside wall (bulkhead) that is near the fluxgate compass. How about metal shelving near the fluxgate. More than likely it is something simple like that you are "overlooking" that is causing the interference.
Hope you find it!

(When I had similar problems, it was a flashlight in the shelves and some wire shelving....took them out and end of problem).

C-Brat #16
Sealife

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, guys, thanks for the responses, but magnetic interference was the first thing I checked, and there's nothing very near the fluxgate, and nothing new or different in the locker to cause the change. My fluxgate is located on the starboard rear bulkhead, close to the starboard side of the hull. It's not the best location.....near the inboard centerline of the boat would be better for stability, but this position keeps it away from things. No, I think it's something else. On my trip to Catalina last year it acted up the same way going over, then cured itself for the remainder of the trip and thereafter. But it's never been quite this severe.
Sealife

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took Sealife to my local electronics doctor and he tested the system. Wound up sending the fluxgate and G Pack to the factory for repair. Two year warranty, so I should escape a big $$ hit. Be without autopilot for a week or more....darn. He also fixed my second VHF radio aboard that was producing static on my first one when transmitting.
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Autopilot hookup question Reply with quote

Hi,

Since you're talking about these things, you surely know something I'd like to ask about. I'm just now buying a C-Dory and I might want to add an autopilot in a little while. I have one on a sailboat now and use it a lot.

I haven't read up on the matter, but it looks like you just add a small hydraulic pump to the existing steering cylinder and the autopilot can then steer the motor as if you added another steering station to the boat. Is it that simple? Is that how second steering stations are added? The steering wheels and autopilot work in parallel?

Thanks for any inputs. If you're too busy to answer, I'll read up on this stuff online somewhere.

Jeff Lastofka
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I think the new CD 22s come with hydraulic steering. Several autopilot options are available with a wide range of pricing, even from the same manufacturer.

The autosport 1000 or similar is being used by some on the 22's. You can get a wired or wireless remote inexpensively which would allow cockpit control.

2nd hydraulic steering stations are not too expensive, but the 2nd engine control can be. Electronic (Morse) aft controls are excellent, but, oh boy, are they costly!

Many install their own autopilots here. You should have little problem with that when you are ready.

I use mine constantly.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: