The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cheap Gas Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Cheap Gas Gauge Reply with quote

This one is free!

Before flling up with gas, I put a pencil line at the gas line on one of the plastic see-through gas tanks. Then I put in exactly five gallons of gas and stopped pumping, climbed into the boat and and put another pencil mark at the top of the gas line.

When I got home, I measured the distance between the two pencil marks. Then, beginning from the bottom of the tank and working up, I made pencil lines on both tanks at that measured distance: at 5, 10, 15 and 20 gals.

I had some 1/4" black striping at hand (it costs me a couple of buscks at some point, but at the moment was free!). So I cut 3" lengths of this tape and stuck it on each of my pencil marks. Now, I can easily look at the gas tanks and estimate quite accurately how much I have in each tank!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Cheap Gas Guage Reply with quote

Somebody already knows this I'm sure, but I don't. Embarassed Are those tank walls perpendicular to the bottom, thus making the distance a 5 gallon fill covers, the same at the bottom of the tank as at the top? If the tank walls at the outboard ends are sloped out as they rise from the cockpit sole,(matching the hull wall), then the measurement will change, decreasing as it gets closer to the top. I know there are some of you who know the shape of the tank, and some who could figure the volume even if it is sloped, so come on now and chime in here, and thank you.

Harvey

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any cheap gas to gauge Smile
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the problem that if the temperature of the fuel changes up or down the level will change also. That is why gasoline pumps at the station are temperature compensated.

Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to Harvey:

I had to remove and empty my gas tanks last summer. Yes, the walls are perpendicular. The top, however, slants towards the back of the transom.

Having filled the tanks from completely empty to completely full took exactly 22 gallons last summer. The measurement method I shared looks to fit that number: the last two gallons are "squeezed in" (in the slanted area) above the 20 gal. mark.

This "cheap" gas guage, of course, does not compensate for gas expansion and shrinkage!
iggy

City/Region: Hillsboro, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Edward Gallaher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculating gas volumes in an irregularly shaped tank reminds me of my old calculus classes. If you have an equation for the shape of the sides you can rotate this equation around the vertical center axis, and then calculate the rate of change of volume with depth; i.e. you are calculating the rate of change of a solid geometry object as a function of distance from the bottom. Of course, this assumes that the shape is symmetrical around the vertical center axis. If not, the calculations become even more difficult.

Ouch! My brain hurts just thinking about it . . . Crook I like the black tape solution better!

Also, as B~C points out, a 'cheap-gas' gauge would be better than a cheap 'gas-gauge'!

iggy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: