The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Storage system for the R-25 Tug?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuggin'

City/Region: Boca Raton
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Tuggin' Aweigh
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Storage system for the R-25 Tug? Reply with quote

The under area berth, "the cave" is usless as delivered with a matress. I am building a photo journal of it's retrofit and will post the stages and efforts soon. We are finding that by removing the matress, there is plenty of deck storage for the heavy things like water and other necessary beverages. (?)
we filled the deck space of this area with cases of beverages but first lined the bulkheads with milk crates laying on their sides, facing you for access. I made clear acrylic panels that are basically one foot square and hinged them to each crate at the bottom and used a bungee and its hook to secure the panel to the upright position. this allows four (4) crates across and at least two (2) levels [three levels are usable but we began to worry about weight.]
Secure each level of crates to the bulkhead using hooks, line, bungees or whatever, attached to hooks attached to the bulkhead. (use short screws!)
the second row stacked on top of the other should be wired to the ones below to eleminate shifting.

By using crates and clear doors, you dont have to lift each crate to find what you are looking for as you can see. The real bonus, if you find that you have a little grandchild ready to sleep in the cave, pull the crates out and distribute them evenly around the boat.
All is cool.
Bob
Tuggin' Aweigh

2425 Maya Palm Drive, West
Boca Raton, FL 33432
rguth@rpycc.org
(561) 210-8120 office direct
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bob , what is the percentage of red to white , or does that change seasonally.........
Marc

Old Dog

City/Region: Ridgefield
State or Province: WA
Photos: Mood Magic
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - I'll be real interested in seeing your photos. We agree - the "cave" might make a fine play place for the right age kids but it's rather worthless otherwise except for storage. The most useful thing I've come up with is to view the lift of top as the top of a compartment. We are designing a shelf with compartments that will be about 15 inches deep and be a very major, convenient storage area for things we access frequently. Assuming we ever settle on a design and get it built, will post photos

The C-25 has a lot of storage space. Not a lot outside and some of it inside is not exactly convenient but there is really a lot of space as we've discovered as we've started to load for cruising. Will take a lot of customization to make much of it useful.

Haven't quite solved the tempurature issue inherent in Marc's comment. The white stuff needs to be cooler than the red stuff and let's face it, the whole wine cellar will hardly hold a year's supply of good stuff.

tuggin'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Storage system for the R-25 Tug? Reply with quote

Well Marc,
The best I can tell you is that in my restaurants, the mix is usually 70% to 75% red all year round. The celler aboard Tuggin Aweigh will be whatever one wants to consume within the time afloat. One also must leave room for that "adult soda pop, with the foam on top" type called beer. In addition, if a cruiser insists on dragging bottled water along, one might as well have nice things to mix with that as well. It never ends!

On a serious note: I am now designing a chart cast that will fit under and attached to the lift up wood cover of the cave. I am thinking that I will hinge it in the back part where it will drop down on a level plane after the top has been raised. It is all a work in progress.

Capt' D: Where did you go?

More later!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That crazy space that you're planning on using for a gigantic wine cellar was first referred to as a "Coffin Cabin" by Pat Anderson two boat shows ago when the tub was first introduced at the SBS! We also suggested it might be referred to as the "Mother-In-Law Cabin".

HARD CHOICES: One Mother-In-Law or 200 bottles of wine! Shall we have a poll?

The cabin could be a target for an aftermarket outfit willing to design some different storage inserts.

Also, could part of it be walled off (with an access door) to provide a space for a generator, air conditioner, and/or heat pump? ( I know the diesel, of course, would also heat the cabin during running time with a Red Dot or similar heater off the cooing water.)

Just passing thoughts.......

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green
Hi Robert,
Storage plan is great, but I want to see the tug whistle when you get it installed. Come back with the name of the company that builds that thing, again. Maybe if I save my allowance Mrs Dee will let me have one.

Thanks again for all your hospitality and help in our time of need. Tell Zack thanks again as well.

Captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
tuggin'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: tug whistle Reply with quote

Capt D, aboard Mis D,
The whistle, compressor, and air tank that I have installed is from Kahlenberg Horn and can be accessed at www.kahlenberg.com. Nice folks and the whistle is loud as ...........
I had the same model 116 installed on Tuglet, the R-21.
Real attention getter!
Bob
Old Dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there is a lot of storage space on the C-25 Ranger, there is no clothes hanger space (how do I keep my tux wrinkle free for C-Brats events), no drawers any where, and no obviously good place to put books.

I had been thinking about a 15 inch deep compartmented shelf at the top of the "cave" for really important stuff like the coffee maker, books and a few other things and had even planned to put in a couple of shallow drawers for the miscellaneous little stuff that needs to be aboard. That all works but it doesn't leave any hanging clothes space. I can compromise a bit and make it work but wonder if someone has come up with a really clever idea on where to hang a few things.

Admittedly, even for a C-Brat event I wouldn't carry a tux but I do try to carry at least one presentable outfit in case we stay at a marina and walk to a classier beer joint and it's really convenient to hang up the many coats you end up carrying.

Thoughts anyone?
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our R25 has a factory installed, removeable hanging rod mounted right across the mid cabin berth. 'course when you use it, you block access to the rest of the berth. I'll try to take a pic next time I get down to Island Ranger.

But - I'm sure you would only use it to hang foul weather gear, you'd never need formal attire on one of our events!

Mac
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted two pictures today of the hanging rod in the mid cabin berth/locker in my album

I think I'd hang wet stuff in the head...so now I'm not sure what I'd use the rod in the mid cabin for. Maybe I should buy a tux?

Mac
Old Dog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

Thanks for posting the pictures. You are right, wet stuff goes in the head (especially aboard Mood Magic where I have an inverter/charger mounted at the aft, outboard end of the space).

I guess I can skip the tux but still think a little hanging space would be good - not as much space as the factory rod would imply. Next week we hope to get out for about 3 days and will load everything but the kitchen sink on board and try to see what stores where. Will make some decisions, design and build something after that.

There sure is a lot to do with a new boat. Isn't it great!!
dougjk

City/Region: Hazlet
State or Province: NJ
Vessel Name: NautiDream
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: 2 yr. old loves it! Reply with quote

My 2 year old loves the coffin. When you ask him where his room is he makes a big production of showing it off. To us it's "Nathan's Room".

Doug

C-Ranger 25, Hull #7
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: The Cave Reply with quote

Our daughter is the same way. Although we are still waiting for our R-25, (August), she is making sure we have no plans to store anything in her "area!" She is looking forward to having a place of her own on the boat.
Nancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: