The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ballast problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Ballast problems Reply with quote

The C-Dory had a tendency to heel to the port. I couldn't stand it looking like that tied to the dock. So I loaded the cockpit cubby hole with rocks. Now I got the same problem with the Ranger Tug. They put the four batteries and the generator on the port side. If I am alone in the boat it is just about right, but how often would a guy be out there alone? That means I need about 250 lbs to the starboard. Underway the trim tabs work ok to set things right. Never did figure out why the C-Dory heeled over. The batteries had to be the culprit. Ranger should place two batteries on each side. The deck compartment on the starboard has transducer and washdown pump right in the middle. Its is going to be hard to figure out what to put in there to compensate. Any ideas?
CaptD

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt D,

While I don't have any experience on the Ranger 25, I have developed some ways to compensate for list:

1 - Place emergency anchor, line and chain to compensate.

2 - I use small bottled water for drinking, cooking, etc. These bottles fit nicely odd places. With electronics in the same area, you'd probably have to put them in a container or heavy, closing bag to eliminate any leakage problems.

3 - a small generator placed to balance?

I envy you... what a nice boat!

John
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ballast problems Reply with quote

captd wrote:
The C-Dory had a tendency to heel to the port. Any ideas?
CaptD

Well, my C-Dory lists to starboard and I had put it to a combination of NOT carrying water in the port water tank and my fat ass sitting at the helm. To compensate, I usually try to run with the starboard fuel tank half full. Trim tabs are the best, but they aren't effective 'till ya get moving. It will list to port with a full tank of water though.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CD25 and mine lists to starboard when docked.

My batteries are evenly distributed, I don't have a kicker, my gas tank and water tank lie dead center...the only thing I could think of was the refrigerator, the head and all the electronics. I even lean the big 150 Merc to port when docked, but it doesn't seem to help much.

She runs level with the trim tabs, so I don't worry about it.

I'm finding that these boats are like dealing with a beautiful woman. They always have some annoying habit that'll drive you nuts if you let it, but you have to look at the big picture and let the little (non-damaging) things slide if you want to enjoy your time with her.

I'm still in love! Love

-Carl

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty just tells me to move over to the other side, sit down and stop roaming around! Levels 'er right up!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing a windlass required 20 ft of 6 AWG duplex wire to be run along the starboard gunnel from the battery to the helm and forward to the windlass. 6 AWG is heavy and added more ballast to the starboard side of the boat. The steering cable follows the same path as does almost all the wiring. The two batteries are also placed in the starboard lazarette. The fresh water tank has never seen a drop of water. This sets the boat on a starboard list. Movable balast is located to port offsetting the permanent infastructure balast. To keep trim at hull speed the starboard tank is emptied first. The addition of a inclinometer helps quantify the degree of list and removes errors assosiated with managing list using visual perception. The C-Dory can be initially tender when underway. If anyone moves from their position the hull immediatly adjusts trim to follow their weight. This adversly affects steering especially with the bow trimmed down as the hull begins to dictate direction. This change in trim also changes the righting movement of the hull. The hull is often flown using the trim tabs like ailerons to constantly adjust for rapid changes in trim. Perhaps seat belts that restrain passengers should be added.
Mike 'Levity'
captd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea on the water, John.
Yes, I will get several cases of bottled water and store them in the small spaces left on the starboard side under the deck. Good to have extra water along anyway. Tug has only galley compartments on that side in the cabin and Mis Dee won't give any of those up. Generator is built in. Wiring is already installed on that side. Going to chain would help hold the bow down better, I have thought about that. Fuel and water tank is in and cannot be distributed or split, only one tank each. Funny, I don,t know how they are layed out under the deck crossway or lenghwise. ( No plans)
The Hunky Dory having two fuel tanks was an easy way to spread some ballast if you didn't need a lot of fuel for a long trip. On a long trip we had so much junk it was fairly easy to shift things around. The top rack we had on it, was one of the best things I ever had done on that boat. I miss it...Hmmmm' I wonder if the new owner ever reads or has joined this forum, I would like to hear from them.
Sure nice to have this forum to turn to for ideas. Thanks. Laughing
Captd
RCHINPA

City/Region: walnutport
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: HUNKY DORY
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Ballast problems Reply with quote

Hi CAPT D
I am the new owner of your famous "HUNKY DORY " I tried to e mail you twice on the site e-mail system and didn't hear from you. I am probably on of the longest lurking members of this and the old "SEA DOG" sites. I started looking at C-DORYS shortly after spending a week living on a 25 foot Parker, bear hunting in Alaska, spring of 2000.

when i purchased your boat i stayed in the area for three days and explored. I had read many times of some of the idiosincricies of the dory style but was supprised at several things. The bow slap at fairly slow speeds, The windage and the change in list with very little weight change.
I have a lot of dumb questions which I would like to discus in an e-mail because they have no real relivence to the rest of the site.
I will be leaving for the Chesapeake gathering some time friday

captd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lurker & new owner of Hunky Dory,
Good to hear from you. I wonder if my profile is updated with new e-mail address. Here is my address: captd01@hughes.net I don't check that spot on the Brats for e-mail cause I really don't know how. Ask any questions you want. Be glad to help anyway I can. I miss that boat alot. Many avantages over fixed inboards or bigger boats with very few draw backs.
Darrel ( CaptD.)
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RCHINPA, welcome to the family! First rule, there are NO dumb questions, you can ask all you want on this site. The answers are usually more interesting than the questions! We all benefit, no matter what model we own -- and, we all know where the DEL key is if we don't care or can't contribute. So again, welcome and have fun learning and enjoying your boat.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
captd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Photo Albums Reply with quote

Hey RchinPa,
You probably know all about the album site. I would like to see you have one of your very own. That way I could keep an eye on my old boat and all the exciting adventures to come in the future. The powers that be could probably figure out what to do. Maybe they could just add Mrs Dee to my spot or something and you could take the name Hunky Dory to your site. Glad to see you on this site. Maybe we could tag after one another to Bahamas or the St. Johns River. The Hunky Dory knows the way.
Captd
Darrel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: