The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16' Cruiser transom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naptime

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: 16' Cruiser transom Reply with quote

I am becoming concerned about the hull of my 16’ C-Dory. I recently installed a sounder on the transom. I drilled 3 holes in the transom to permanently attach a starboard plate so I could easily attach and adjust the sounder without removing and replacing screws in the transom. When I drilled the holes in the transom the balsa material that came out with the drill was brown in color. After being in the air for a while this material became blond. I did not have a moisture meter so I was unable to check for moisture. Does anyone know if the balsa core is treated with something that evaporates in air?

Other than the motor mounts there are no holes in the transom. The boat is kept on a trailer and is completely covered with a waterproof and breathable fabric. I have only used the boat 1 season and I estimate it has been in the water about 200 hours. At the time I drilled the holes the boat had not been in the water for 6 months.

Any ideas?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for your question. Normally Balsa is installed dry and is light in color. But if there was uncatalized resin, it might be browinsh r. However it would not change in the air. Wet balsa, feels moist, and you can squeeze moisture out of it. If the boat is kept covered, it should not have any water in the bilge. I suspect that the 16 is similar to the origional 22, so you can see any water in the bilge.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
naptime

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

With the cover I never have water in the bilge. After each use I clean the boat and dry any water in the bilge. Where I drilled the holes in the transom is above and about a foot away from the bilge pump well.

Also, I was under the impression that construction with end grain balsa used an encapsulation technique so that any water intrusion would be limited to that local area.

Dick Clagett
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to all. I've been following with interest the recent batch of postings detailing construction flaws, cut corners, etc. cropping up in C-Dory boats. I for one absolutely encourage this kind of feedback! I love my Dory, but have long questioned some of the construction methods, particularly the manner in which my fuel tanks were replaced by the factory a few years back. Let me clearly state that I have been treated courteously and fairly by the factory, that I love the boat, and that I wish nothing but success to the company. But I also think the factory needs to be held to acccount for its construction methods for such expensive boats. I also want my boat to maintain its value. In my opinion this website and the associated "cult" following helps to create the strong demand and high resale value for the C-Dory line. We should not apologize or rationalize for what are clearly shoddy construction methods. I have seen too many factory photos showing GE silicone used as bedding compound, seen too many screws placed directly into the deck/hull to mount equipment (my boat), too many inappropriate fasteners, through-hulls, and other half measures. Those who read Passagemeker's recent review of the new tug can clearly see between the lines Passagemaker's sense that the vessel falls short of being a robustly built yacht. Every growing company comes to the crossroads of quality vs. quantity. My sincere hope it that C-Dory chooses solid growth based on impeccable quality, similar to the Accura or Lexus car brands. PS I get to put the boat in the water this weekend!!! Happy boating, Mike.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick, do you have a bilge pump in that well? If so, how is it held to the floor/transom?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
naptime

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Yes, I have a bilge pump. It appears that it is epoxyed down. I don't see any screw heads but I am not sure do to the thickness of the epoxy.

Dick
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theory is that water will not go from one group of end grain chunks to the next--these are about 2" square (depending on the manufactuer)--but in reality water can migrate between the squares. They are not encapsulated. There will be a bit more about this on my CD 25 Transom thread today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: