The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cabinet hinges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katkt

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Katie Kat
Photos: Katie Kat
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Cabinet hinges Reply with quote

I'm looking for a source for corrosion resistant concealed cabinet hinges.

I'm reworking the lid to the storage area, in the cockpit of my TC24. I'm raising the seat area to make room for storing an eu2000 inside.
The factory screwed a regular hinge on top of the lid, and screwed it to the fiberglass behind the seat. By raising the seat, I'll pick up 2" of room underneath and conveneintly cover the old holes.

What I'd like is a hinge, typical of Blum or Grass style concealed cabinet hinges, that can be mounted to the underside of the lid, and the inside of the raised seat frame.
Does anyone know a source for stainless in this style of hinge? Or, has anyone used the regular hinges, and found that they resist corrosion well enough for marine applications?
Worst case.............which certainly wouldn't break the bank.........would be to use a regular cabinet hinge, spray it with corrosion X and replace it every year.

Thanks for any help.

Gordon

PS forgive me for putting this in the wrong category.
thataway

C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon
Kitchen Cabinet Hardware.com has SS Euro hinges:

http://www.kitchencabinethardware.com/enter.html?target=Stainless_Steel_Accessories.html

We had considered just using a pin type of motor box hinge (full opening) if we had raised the box lip on the TC 255 (not sure how similar the aft boxes on the two boats are)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at all the Perko brand of marine hardware on line..... most marine stores only carry a small fraction of the stuff they have available...and you can special order any from most local marine stores..

Joel
SEA3PO
katkt

C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Katie Kat
Photos: Katie Kat
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Bob.
The aft boxes are pretty similar. When I was looking at yours last year, we talked about the Genny being to tall to sit in the aft compartment on yours. Mine was 15 inches and I needed 17.
I came across some Spanish Cedar at an irresistable price, and I'm using that for the deck surface around the lid. It'll have an apron of the same around the front to hide the blocking used for raising the seat.
The lid is rabbited into the top enough to allow for some sort of weather seal under the lid. The Euro style hinges with the quick release tab will work great if I can find them.

Thanks for the Perko info Joel. I'm being alittle lazy by not searching these out for myself. The C-brats are always doing something to their boats, and I figured if there was anything out there somebody here would know.

I'll post some pics of the deck, and a slat floor that I made for the floor of the head(to dress it up), in a day or two.

Thanks again gentlemen Very Happy

Gordon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: