The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda BF135/`50 Prop recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Honda BF135/`50 Prop recommendation Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm sorry I can't find the thread where I posted about the BF135/150 prop earlier...so here's another.

The smallest (in pitch) Power Tech OFS prop Honda has in their catalog is 16" which is too much unless you're really running light. That part number is 58334-ZY3-A16CL for a right hand prop and 58334-ZY3-B16CL for a left hand prop (right hand is "standard"). It carries a suggested retail of $550.

The Power Tech part number for the 14" pich prop that works the best on a loaded CD25 (say 6,000 pounds or more) is CLH200OFS4R14P; the left hand verison has an "L" where the "R" is. There's also a 15" pitch available if you're running your boat really light; just swap out the "14" in the model number with "15". The MSRP is $645.

I walk a fine line here; I'm trying to provide information for folks to work with but I am not "drumming up business" off the C-Brat site here. I really do encourage you to work with a local dealer if possible and give them your business (or search the Internet). If you aren't able to do that we'll be happy to help but we're not really set up for mail order service and too many requests could really overwhelm us (like we're not there already!).

www.marinautboats.com
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Les. So everyone knows, this is info I requested from Les and thought others would be interested in...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see a picture of this prop here: http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Sea-Skipper/Outboard_1.jpg
I have logged 3,033 kn on this prop.

A few comments on performance and fuel consumption:

Last May through August, I kept very accurate records noting actual fuel purchased versus Navman readings & GPS based log. No attempt was made to adjust for current or wind thus smooth lake conditions would be somewhat better. These figures are very accurate for my boat and the way I cruise.

For This period:
Log 1,312.4 Kn
Fuel consumption 546.4 US Gallons
Navman indicated 588.5 or 8% safety factor
Mileage (nautical miles per gallon) 2.40
Mileage (land miles) 2.76

I have tried 6 different props and noticed quite a difference in boat performance and WOT RPM, but not much difference in fuel consumption per mile. I recommended the above prop to Fred of Anita Marie and I believe he bought one, but haven't heard how he likes it.

Best one day run (bragging): 8 Am: Drove into Bellingham, Washington & launched boat @ Squalicum Harbor. Left harbor @ 10 am and tied up at the public dock at Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island, BC just befor 6 pm a distance of 142.1 kn covering the entire length of Straits of Georgia plus - not bad for a slow C-Dory. My original plan was to travel up the east side of the straits perhaps staying overnight at Gibsons, but the conditions were too rough in the south end of the straits for comfort, so I ducked in through Boat Passage (north of Saturna) and checked into Canadian Customs (Canpass) at Horton Bay, Maine Island and then proceed through the Gulf Islands to Nanaimo were conditions had improved quite a bit - so I kept on trucking north between Lasqueti & Texada Islands. Fuel consumption for this leg was 2.35 kn/gal.

Cruising speed: Favorite range and most economical is 19~20 knots (smooth water) but normally 13~16kn (light chop) & 11kn (heavy chop), and as required in rough conditions. Speeds are approximate and vary considerably with wind & wave direction. Boat is equipped with large trim tabs and a Permatrim hydrofoil. The transition from displacement speeds to planing is almost imperceptible. You can happily run the boat at any speed

A note on fuel tank capacity: Maximum fill up under ideal conditions = 97.1 gallons (drained tank last winter with pump attached to fuel pickup hose and tilted boat as required for complete drain. Filled up this spring and again tilted boat as required for max fill to the point where fuel overflows on a hot day from expansion.

"Sea Skipper"
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have kept accurate records for a period...and my numbers with the ProPulse are nearly identical - we are always heavily loaded. Statute mpg varied tank to tank 2.5 to just south of 3.0, once it was just north of 2.0 - conditions do affect fuel economy! Overall, I feel comfortable counting on 2.5 mpg, and I too have a Navman which reads a little conservatively, which is fine by me. The issue with the ProPulse for me is that I live in mortal fear of a blade breaking off in the middle of Yaculta Rapids or something like that. But the price of this prop seems awfully steep, will have to chew on it.

Sea Skipper wrote:

For This period:
Log 1,312.4 Kn
Fuel consumption 546.4 US Gallons
Navman indicated 588.5 or 8% safety factor
Mileage (nautical miles per gallon) 2.40
Mileage (land miles) 2.76

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff here guys...and thanks Les... You input is always welcome and truly appreciated.

Interesting numbers to watch guys. Water/wind conditions set the stage for making or breaking your mileage as stated above....no matter which prop used.

I still toss around the idea that for our inland rivers (read heavy just below the surface trees....) that I may be better running aluminum props as to allow that metal to be softer than stainless....on other parts in the lower unit/power drive systems of our outboards hooked to the hydralic motor lifts. Or... I may be worried about nothing...but why not put the softer metal outside to sacrifice first....and just replace on the water rather than bending things up inside the motor...

Also on mileage...a big differance was noticed on my last river trip of over a full mpg....by keeping the boat level horizontally, side to side, by the simple use of an inclometer.... See other link on inclometer and fuel mileage gains.

Great stuff. Thanks to all.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:

I still toss around the idea that for our inland rivers (read heavy just below the surface trees....) that I may be better running aluminum props as to allow that metal to be softer than stainless....on other parts in the lower unit/power drive systems of our outboards hooked to the hydralic motor lifts. Or... I may be worried about nothing...but why not put the softer metal outside to sacrifice first....and just replace on the water rather than bending things up inside the motor...
Byrdman

If you're using a common prop, you can usually buy them for cheap on ebay and just toss the badly bent ones away rather than have them repaired. I do the easy ones myself.

It costs $75 to have a three blade aluminum prop welded and refinished, and I can buy new/unused props for my Yamaha 90 for about $50 + shipping.

Another comment from the Cheapie Gallery!

1. Joe

2.______________________

3.______________________

4. ------------------

Etc.,

Laughing

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing as how the boat's name is Meander and how I'm kind of slow anyway...
June 05-June 06
1721 NM 1980 SM, 701 US gal 2.45 NM/gal 2.82 SM/Gal avg 9.0 knots/hour

June 06 - May 07
961 NM 1106 SM 347 US gal 2.76NM/gal 3.18 SM/Gal Avg 9.61 knots/hour.

This is our total fuel consumption on a cruse weight 2006 model year CD 25 with a Yamaha 150 and a 17 (I think) pitch aluminium prop. We spend about 30%-40% of the motor hours at trawler speed in the 6-8 kt range. Which is why we have the 9-10kt average. Top speed recorded with a fairly light load is 32.9 Kts. Wide open throttle at about 5900 RPM.
All distance and speeds are by GPS. Gallons used are actual gas pump reading (well litres actually) and given the number of gallons used and distance traveled should be quite accurate. I record each fill up in the log. (We have the Yamaha fuel meter but I don't trust it at all) I can't explain why the MPG has improved so far this year. Maybe because we've gone a little faster or maybe because the engine is totally broken in. Who knows. I just hope its better next year too!
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: