The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Yamaha 80 Valve Measurement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Yamaha 80 Valve Measurement Reply with quote

Well it finally came time to bite the bullet and do the valve clearance measurements on my twin Yami 80's (same engine as the 100, also same as the newer 75/90's). Reviewed the Service Manual one last time (about the 10th) before digging in. It isn't technically difficult but requires some diligence to realign the cam sprockets and timing belt, thought I'd impart some of my experience gained. You'll also need inch-lb and foot-lb torque wrenches.

First, make sure you tilt the engine a bit up so the crankcase is forward of level, this will prevent a substantial amount of oil from coming out of the valve cover when removed (called cylinder head cover). Odd this wasn't explained in the manual, engine #1 a big mess, #2 nice and clean!

When I aligned TDC on the flywheel to the separate plate marking, the cam sprocket built in marks did not align per the manual, 1 tooth off on port sprocket. So I marked their positions carefully before removing the timing belt. I then checked the other engine, exactly the same, sooooo, decided prudent to reinstall exactly as I found them since the engines run great.

Last tip, don't forget there are 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves PER cylinder (in other words, don't just measure the top clearance of each cylinder then go back later and measure the bottom ones...don't ask Embarassed ).

The specs on my engine call for 0.008 +/-.001" for intakes, 0.013 +/-.001" for exhausts. All fell within spec Thumbs Up , thank goodness. Also checked spark plug conditions and gaps while out, all just fine.

Figure about 2 hours per engine, although 2nd engine went about 50% faster! And by the way, those engines have a great valve cover and gasket design.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

Nice report and tips!

How many hours were on the engines?

It seems almost everybody that goes through this check doesn't have to adjust the clearance, a GOOD SIGN!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve: Thanks for the informative lesson.

I have the same engine and have yet to check mine. I have heard it is rare to find one out of adjustment but a good idea to check. I believe they use the bucket shim and purchasing a kit would be required if adjustment is needed. Would not look forward to that.

A few questions of curiosity:

How many hours on your engines?

Did you replace the timing belts? If so what did they cost? I wonder if the cams being one tooth off are to account for any belt stretch? It takes a suprising amount of power to rotate those cams.

I would imagine that the engine is a close tolerance design. Does the manual mention this?

Did you reuse the head cover gaskets? I assume no sealant required?

Manual: Did you spring for the high end factory type? Did you find it online?

Thanks

Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 350 hrs on the engines, the mfr recommends check at 400 hrs or every 2 yrs. So I split the difference, boat is 4 1/2 yrs old.

Chris, here are answers to your questions:
Quote:
I believe they use the bucket shim and purchasing a kit would be required if adjustment is needed. Would not look forward to that.

Yep, shims. Probably more afraid of dealing with them than the problem they probably are. I would have just ordered the size(s) I needed from Yamaha and waited to install -- that's the part I wasn't too keen on, having the engine in an 'open' condition for about a week. I measured the clearances as exact as possible, even adding "loose fit" or "tight fit" to the .001" increment feeler gauge fit of each.

Quote:
Did you replace the timing belts? If so what did they cost? I wonder if the cams being one tooth off are to account for any belt stretch? It takes a suprising amount of power to rotate those cams.

The belts looked to be in near new condition so left them in. These are 'gilmore' style belts like the serpentine belts most newer cars use except even thicker and stiffer. Near impossible to skip a tooth with the belt tensioning system Yamaha uses. There isn't really that much pressure on the belt to turn the cams, you can easily rotate them by turning the flywheel by hand.

Quote:
Did you reuse the head cover gaskets? I assume no sealant required?

The valve cover is removed to expose the cams and valve stem ends. No sealant needed, gasket is fully reusable, great design. By the way the only reason you have to removed the cam sprockets is to get the upper-most part of the valve cover off! Seems like a maintenance glitch that could have been eliminated, but to keep the engine's overall profile the lowest possible, they kept it compact in that area.

Quote:
Manual: Did you spring for the high end factory type? Did you find it online?

I ordered the manual from my local Yamaha dealer about a week after bringing home the boat. It is the "F100X" manual that also annotates the slight differences of the F80 motor.

I started up both engines today just to make sure all was fine. Checked good except found a fuel hose leak where it rubbed on the steering shaft, I'll replace same hose on both engines.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an on-lineManual for the similar F90D that includes my 2005 Yamaha F90 Fuel Injected Motor. Most of the information wil;l be the same as for the 75, 90, and 100 hp motors. The 115 has more displacement (+150 cc) and a different computer for the fuel injection and ignition (to the best of my knowledge).

F90D Manual

Full code =

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2005/LIT-18616-02-86_1014.pdf

We (Sneaks and I) tried to figure out the code system and get access to all the other manuals for the different motors, but were unsucessful. Maybe someone else can do it and share the in formation with us all!

If you like this FREE present, send green money to Mike and Bill's retirement fund!

Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift Gift

Joe.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, I just checked the valve adjustment on my twin Honda 40s this weekend. It was the first time I'd ever done this. Oddly, I found all of the intake valves to be a little loose and the exhaust valves a little tight. Not more than a thousand or two either way, but I adjusted them all. The instructions I had said to align the "T" mark on the flywheel with and "I" mark on the engine hanger boss, but I couldn't find a "T" mark on the flywheel at all. So I just aligned the marks on the cam instead. The whole job took about two hours. I hope they don't blow up on me when I crank them over, as I'm really a neophyte mechanic.
Al

Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al, the "T" mark on mine is "TDC" (Top Dead Center) and is clearly stamped on the flywheel's edge (on mine).

So, the 40's have adjustable valve clearances? I know the Honda's do in my size. Maybe for some reason the Yami 75-100's are stable enough not to have them(?). Seems like few, if any, need adjustment.

In a few weeks after I get the vacuum fittings for the carbs, I'll synchronize them.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can tell me, why does the position of the flywheel matter at all? Isn't the position of the cam what is important in determining the TDC of the piston stroke?
Al
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al:

Basically the cams follow and are run off the position of the crank/pistons. If you rotate the crank to TDC and the cams are in time then the marks will all be right there. (normally) If an engine is out of time and you only line up the cam timing marks it might be possible to attempt to adjust the valves but the piston would not be at top dead center. Then when you start the engine and the piston is at TDC the valves would not be adjusted properly to match the piston location.

Manuals follow the procedure as a general practice to: line up the crank mark first and then check the cam marks second. If the marks don't align: you are either not on top dead center, not looking at the right piston/valves, the cam belt has slipped a tooth or the flywheel key has sheared and has slipped. Something is not right and should be investigated before going any further.

Remember this procedure is also used for when the belt has been removed, perhaps engine disassembled and put back together. So to start from scratch. Line crank to top dead center on number 1 cylinder. Rotate cams to close all valves on number 1 cylinder and install belt. Marks should be there. Rotate crank two revolutions (for four cycle event). Marks should again be there with valves closed on the next cylinder in the firing order.

One more good reason for following the basic procedure starting with the number one cylinder is to help the mechanic. Say you are adjusting valves on a V-16 cylinder engine. Every time you rotate the crank two revolutions the timing marks should align on the next cylinder in the firing order. If you know the firing order you can identify the next cylinder and watch the valves close. Watching all the valves on a big engine with two banks can give one a headache.

Joe: Thanks for the online manual. Big help.

Steve: Thanks for answering the questions. Thumbs Up
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally solved the mystery on my cam sprocket alignments with the flywheel at TDC.
Quote:
When I aligned TDC on the flywheel to the separate plate marking, the cam sprocket built in marks did not align per the manual, 1 tooth off on port sprocket. So I marked their positions carefully before removing the timing belt. I then checked the other engine, exactly the same, sooooo, decided prudent to reinstall exactly as I found them since the engines run great.

I called Yamaha, explained the situation, they would not help me, the person wasn't particularly technical, told me to call my local Yamaha dealer. I did, wouldn't help me without bringing in the boat (40 miles, appt, etc).

So I re-read the entire section and discovered the problem. The valve adjustment section explains the procedure to take off the timing belt, cam sprockets and valve cover, doesn't mention alignment marks. Then when done with the measurements, it refers you to the Powerhead section to put it back together. Reading that section, it starts with the engine partially disassembled, flywheel OFF. It has you align the woodruff key on the main shaft with the case joint, THATS when the cam sprocket pointers will align.

So I did right by creating my own marks on the cam sprockets with respect to the TDC mark on the flywheel. Hope this helps others, just good practice to make sure you can duplicate the positions of things after you take them apart. I have a couple of detailed photos here if anybody wants to know more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: