The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Member -- Questions used C-Dory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptcris

City/Region: Fairbanks
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Air 'n C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: New Member -- Questions used C-Dory Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just joined your forum, although I've been spying on you for some time! We live in Fairbanks, AK, and I am passionate about salmon fishing. I would love to upgrade from my 13 ft. Smokercraft (which was an upgrade from a 10 ft. Zodiak) for fishing at Valdez, and would love that upgrade to be a C-Dory! I realize that I may have to wait a while for this to get in to the budget, but meanwhile would like to get smarter about used C-Dory's. So I have a few questions if anyone out there would like to take the time to help me out!

First, if I should be so fortunate to come across a used 22' Cruiser or Angler, what should I be looking for as possible problems? Let's say something that's 12-15 years old. I realize that the motor might need work or even replacing, but I'm more concerned about how to judge the hull. Can anyone give me some pointers?

On the subject of used C-Dory's, why are the NADA values so far off of what the market seems to be? Just for fun, I looked up the Average Retail on a 1992 C-Dory Cruiser with a 90 hp Yamaha (same vintage) and a tandem axle trailer, and the NADA value came in at under $8000. I know from looking at your forum, that such a boat would typically be selling for at least $20000. That's a big difference, and I don't know how to judge if that is a valid difference.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I need all the ammunition I can get to convince my husband that we really do need a C-Dory!!

Thanks, Pat Smile
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member -- Questions used C-Dory Reply with quote

ptcris wrote:
First, if I should be so fortunate to come across a used 22' Cruiser or Angler, what should I be looking for as possible problems? Let's say something that's 12-15 years old. I realize that the motor might need work or even replacing, but I'm more concerned about how to judge the hull. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Honestly nothing that won't be obvious. There's really no hidden problems in the design so just look at it as you would any used item. If its been cared for and looks good (and not like it was just done to move it), it probably is good. If you find one and have specific questions there will be a lot of answers here.

Quote:
On the subject of used C-Dory's, why are the NADA values so far off of what the market seems to be? Just for fun, I looked up the Average Retail on a 1992 C-Dory Cruiser with a 90 hp Yamaha (same vintage) and a tandem axle trailer, and the NADA value came in at under $8000. I know from looking at your forum, that such a boat would typically be selling for at least $20000. That's a big difference, and I don't know how to judge if that is a valid difference.

Well it's a valid difference if you want to buy a C-Dory 22 and that's what it takes to do it. Used pricing is market driven; you can ask whatever you want but it's only really worth what someone will pay for it. If there are enough "somebodys" paying $20,000 for a good used C-Dory 22 then that's what the market value is; regardless of what some book designed to keep dealers and lending institutions from getting burned says (that's the polite version).

Part of the reason they are where they are is because 1) there weren't that many built 2) from 1987 on they all look the same except for details (all the same hull) 3) they're "honest" boats so people hold on to them 4) if you own a '92 there's not much incentive to purchase a new one since you wouldn't gain a thing from an operational standpoint 5) because of all the items above there aren't all that many on the used market and 6) the new one's deliver (fully outfitted with electronics and such) from $50K to $60K (some lower, some even higher) so if you can snag a boat in good shape that does what a new $60K boat does for a third the price it's a good buy.

The ammunition is that it's a safe boat and it'll bring you home even when you make mistakes. It holds its value (that's why you're paying what you are for it) so if you decide to sell you're generally in pretty good shape and you have a boat others are looking for (as opposed to being the 10th (or 100th) Bayliner in the paper). It's economical to run (gas isn't going to get cheaper I'm afraid, at least not in the long run). It has a real cabin with a door and everything! You can close that, turn on the heat and actually enjoy boating on cool (cold) days. It's a better investment than brand "B"; if you buy it for $20K and take care of it, it will probably sell if for that or close to it. If spend $20K on brand "B" you'll be lucky to get 75% back (and I do mean lucky).

Quote:
Thanks for any help you can give me. I need all the ammunition I can get to convince my husband that we really do need a C-Dory!!

Of course you need a C-Dory, you don't think we're going to send you packing from the group here saying you should buy something else do you? Teeth

Just do the best you can on the engine and if it's a bit older have it checked. New engines aren't cheap but unlike cars our boats don't have all the body and chassis related problems (like suspension, brakes, steering, tires, etc) so if you do have to replace the engine you've got the one thing that really makes a power boat a power boat; it's new, it'll get you there and back, and it will last for many, many years. As long as you like the boat and want to keep it repowering is very cost effective.

Good luck!

P.S. - I don't sell used boats; the above is just honest observations and as real as I can make them.

www.marinautboats.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than some cosmetics, the used C Dories just don't have problems--like many other boats do. I don't know if this will change with time--but it has been true in the past.

Many used boats sell "used" for the same dollar amount as when they were "new"--but each owner has put on more electroncis or impoved the boats. NADA "values" are just not realistic--in most boats, and perticularly in C Dories. There are not enough used C Dories sold on the dealer market to change these stats, so they follow the average boat. Most of the C Dories are private sales, --many of them on this web site.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

About six years ago I purchased a used 1983 22' Angler C-Dory. The only serious problems were that the stern had water in it. Also the engine, a 1983 70 HP Johnson was no longer reliable. When I reengined, I had the stern rebuilt. I reengined with a new Yamaha 75 HP Four Stroke, Because of the additional weight, I had to move the waterline up about 3 " on the stern. Everything was OK and the boat gives me much enjoyment. After 1986, the boats were changed to take the weight of the extra weight of the Four Stroke engines.

My advise to you. Have a survey done. Not a lot of money, but you will know what you are getting.

My I say, a little early, welcome aboard.

Fred

ptcris

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone, for the great advice. I'm feeling more confident now about looking for a used C-Dory. My main concern was the transom area, wondering if these would start to lose structural integrity over time, but it sounds as if there generally is no problem, especially with the post-1986 hulls.

I now just need to keep an eye on the market, and a handle on the budget! We are headed to Anchorage for a long weekend in a couple of days, and there is a C-Dory dealer there. With any luck, they'll have one in the showroom that I can look at. I've never actually seen one up close. Can't buy right now, but hope they won't be too upset with a tire kicker!

Any feedback on the 19' model? Unfortunately with them being so new (when did they actually come out?), the used market is still pretty pricey. But it looks like a pretty nice choice for a fishing boat.

Fred, you mentioned a boat survey. This is something new to me. Who does these surveys?

Thanks a bunch again. I may not be a C-Dory owner yet, but I will be!!

Pat
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ptcris wrote:
Thank you everyone, for the great advice. I'm feeling more confident now about looking for a used C-Dory. My main concern was the transom area, wondering if these would start to lose structural integrity over time, but it sounds as if there generally is no problem, especially with the post-1986 hulls.

I now just need to keep an eye on the market, and a handle on the budget! We are headed to Anchorage for a long weekend in a couple of days, and there is a C-Dory dealer there. With any luck, they'll have one in the showroom that I can look at. I've never actually seen one up close. Can't buy right now, but hope they won't be too upset with a tire kicker!

Any feedback on the 19' model? Unfortunately with them being so new (when did they actually come out?), the used market is still pretty pricey. But it looks like a pretty nice choice for a fishing boat.

Fred, you mentioned a boat survey. This is something new to me. Who does these surveys?

Thanks a bunch again. I may not be a C-Dory owner yet, but I will be!!

Pat

Pat,
There were (and are)very few 19's made. The 22 cruisers are by far the most popular boats and hence you are most likely to find a used 22 - both are good boats but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a used 19 to come on the market.

As far a boat survey goes - there is a complete industry associated with this and you can locate a marine surveyor simply by looking in the yellow pages. They are the equivalent of home inpectors only for boats. However, if you have a friend who has a personal recommendation for one in the Anchorage area (or if a C-brat here can recommend one), I'd go with that. Regardless, use an accredited marine surveyor and in general, I wouln't use one who was a good friend of the guy/gal selling the boat.

tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ptcris wrote:
Any feedback on the 19' model? Pat

Pat,
I'd look at this discussion http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4721&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=angler
to get some insight in the debate between the 19 and the 22.

We currently have a 19, before that we had a 16 briefly. The 16 was too small for us - but the 19 so far is perfect. All the 16 owners will be bristling at that comment. Of course I get my dander up everytime someone comes out in favor of a 22 over a 19. 16-19-22-25 all seem to me to fit different niches. I think the 19 is a lot like a big brother of the 16 cruiser, but I have to admit, for sleeping on board, this is tough for me to state publicly, I'd have to go with a 22. It was awful cold last weekend getting out from under the blankets on the Dakota.
For Shan and I however, right now a 19 is the perfect boat.

Cheers,
Tom
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you may have to take into consideration is what your
tow vehicle is. I think Tom and Shan ran into this because their
two vehicle won't pull a 22'. Being able to to pull the boat out when
I want; take it home to work on it, and not having to worry about it
come hurricane season (well at least in the river) are major pluses.
I also hope to tow it somewhere else and trying boating on lakes.

Mike
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: C-Dory in the future Reply with quote

We started thinking about, researching and then looking for a C-Dory 22 Cruiser probably 6+ months before we found ours. During that time we probably lost out on 2 purchases by "mulling" it over too long. Embarassed In otherwords, when you make a solid decision to purchase, be prepared to go with the money "in hand" and make the deal. Those boats in good condition sure sell FAST!! You won't be sorry! We really like ours! It was good to have spoken with owners and gotten so much info off the C-Brats site. Laughing Now we're on our way to Lopez for our first great adventure-the beginning of many more ..... Very Happy
ptcris

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More great input. You guys are great. Thanks for taking the time with a newbie!

Tom, I really enjoyed the photos of your two boats--your 19' is gorgeous. The photos were a great way to get a feel for the difference between the 16' and the 19'. I have to agree that the 16' seems a little small for what we want to do. Looks like a great fishing boat for 2, but a little tight for when we want to invite family or friends. I'm not even going to weigh in on the debate between the 19' and the 22'--I think it must come down to a gut feel for most people!

Point on the tow vehicle is well taken. However, up here, it seems as if everyone's second vehicle is a 4x4 fullsized pickup, which does good duty for a tow vehicle when needed. Perhaps if I told Rick he could get that diesel 3/4 ton, I could get the C-Dory...?! Dream on!

Thanks, Pat
Alasgun

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: New Member- questions used c-dory Reply with quote

Sure getting a lot of attention here,Pat. Some of it I'm sure is due to the fact that the WIFE is doing the boat shopping.
Maybe some of us need to work on Rick and explain how this NORMALLY works to him! Wink
On the size thing, I would encourage test rides as a helpful thing, this is big water up here and to some extent "size does matter."
Oh, yea; if Rick gets the 3/4 Diesel, he can pull a 25 easily!!
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: