The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Navigation Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Navigation Lights Reply with quote

From: Sundown (Original Message) Sent: 11/13/2002 6:59 AM
I currently have a 3' high combination masthead and anchor light on the cabin top of my 22' Angler. A low bridge a short distance from my home requires me to remove it every time I go out. I am thinking about replacing it with a 225 degree mastlight that will mount onto the forward cabin top or the "eyebrow" sun visor. I then plan to install the combo light backwards on the stern somewhere so that the former forward-facing light becomes a stern light. My question is: has anyone mounted a masthead light down on the cabin top and does it reflect off the bow rails. Or, does anyone have any thoughts on whether this whole plan is a good idea or not. Thanks.
Larry

Sundown,

Regulations require that the white steaming light (an all-round light is acceptable on the CD22s) be 1 meter above the side marker lights. I don't think that the eyebrow location is going to meet this requirement.

I'm not sure what you meant by facing the combo light (which I would interpret as a red & green light) backwards. If you choose to mount a white steaming light forward then you need to add a white stern light aft; most of the older C-Dory boats I've seen have had this mounted above the center of the rear cabin door.

I would tend to think of installing a fold-down light at the rear of the cabin top that can be reached from the cockpit. That way you can just reach up and lay the light down when necessary.

Les

Thanks Les, I had fogotten the 1-meter rule. I will measure that. As far as turning the mast light around, I was referring to the combo mast-anchor light...not the red and green running lights. In other words the pole light that is a combination of the forward white running light and an anchor light. I did think about a fold down light near the rear of the cabin and may go that direction. Thanks, again.
Larry

Hi Larry,

Ah, gotcha ... I was definitely thinking of the wrong type of combo light! Your type makes a whole lot more sense .

But there is a catch-22 here since the combo light would have to be high enough for the anchor light to show 360-degrees when in use (if you ever would use it) and then the running light portion (which is an all-around style isn't it) will also be seen from 360-degrees so the new 225-degree running light forward wouldn't be needed. Maybe you have a different style combo light?

Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: