C-Cakes Dinghy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: C-Cakes Dinghy Reply with quote

Hi all,

At the great Bellingham CBGT (Thanks R-Matey!!) several of you were interested in C-Cakes brand new Stearns dinghy and I said I'd check to see if I could get a C-Brats deal from the place I bought it.

Here's the deal:

C-Cakes dinghy is a Stearns model B700 inflatable, (8'x54" 35#). I got it on the web at Outlaw Camping. (HTTPS://139872.brightwebsite.com). It is priced at $369.95 with about $28 in shipping. If you call Rick at Outlaw Camping (512) 689-9415, tell him you want the dinghy and identify yourself as a C-Brat, he will waive the shipping costs saving you a few bucks. For C-Shift, I did ask if there is any other color...sorry, the green is it Sad

Note that the boat does not come with a pump. I inflated mine with my shopvac and will get a handpump to add air if I need to. It does come with a motormount and is rated for an electric trolling motor.

We went to Sucia Island after the Bellingham CBGT and the dinghy did everything I wanted it to. It was stable to get into and out of but I did provide some entertainment for folks on the shore as I did my usual graceful pratfall getting into the boat Laughing . I have put it into the water and retrieved it from the bow and it was quite easy to get up on and off of C-Cakes cabin top.

Barry

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: C-Cakes Dinghy Reply with quote

colobear wrote:
For C-Shift, I did ask if there is any other color...sorry, the green is it
Barry

Thanks Barry, I'll get on it! If I'm lucky, perhaps I can find a pair of green scivvy shorts and a green t-shirt left over from 'Nam that I can wear, then I'll blend in with the dinghy, and no one will be able to see either of us.... Disgust .

C-Brat #16
DaveS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: C-Cakes Dinghy Reply with quote

colobear wrote:

Note that the boat does not come with a pump. I inflated mine with my shopvac and will get a handpump to add air if I need to.
Barry

I can probably get by without a pump.......figure I've still got a bit of hot air left inside me that I can muster up..... Laughing
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better tie it down tight, you don't want it to float away or interfere with a Goodyear Blimp... Shocked Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
DaveS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Choice wrote:
Better tie it down tight, you don't want it to float away or interfere with a Goodyear Blimp... Shocked Laughing
Charlie

Great thought Charlie, I'll soon be able to "test" this concept as I just ordered one. When I receive it I'll fill 'er with hot air, lash her down tight and see if it creates "lifting capability for Sea Shift". Hopefully it does and we see an improvement in our fuel economy Laughing .

Thanks Barry for "laying the groundwork" for this purchase. Rick personally handled my order and waived the shipping charges as you suggested.
DaveS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that when ordering the dinghy, I questioned Rick as to why this was referred to as the "B700" since I had noticed on Barry's that it was called a "Seeker 848". Rick assured me that it is the same dinghy...the B700 is the model number as Barry had earlier stated, but the dinghy is called the Seeker 848.

(Wanted to be certain that I was ordering the same one as we tried the Seeker 848 on top of "Sea Shift" and it just squeezed under the radar arch).

After I ordered this today, I went out and found my old electric outboard motor, took it out to the corral and stuck it in the stock tank, attached the electric cables to one of those "booster start" battery packs and she worked fine after many years of storage.........heck, I even managed to do a few "laps" around the stock tank... Smile .....it appears that I may not even have to paddle the dinghy after I receive it... Thumbs Up .
ppriest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reported end of the line Reply with quote

I just ordered Stearns B700 from Rick at Outlaw Camping and was advised that:
1. Rick can no longer honor the "no shipping" fee - he did offer me shipping half-off or $17.50
2. Stearns has discontinued the B700 since they (Stearns) acquired Sevylor which appears to have no directly size-comparable inflatable

So it appears that this source for a compact inflatable dinghy has reached the end of the line.

Paul
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stearns web site still lists the B 700 8' inflatable dinghy for about $654.99. Don't know how that relates to availablity.

An internet search revealed several places advertising these from $366 on up (the lowest was Outlaw camping--so that one is definately "out").

If you look around you might find one in some back room of a store.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: