C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, Joe, Joe! All the way to the dark side? Sea Ray AND PWC????Laughing

Sea Wolf wrote:
J
I'm going to get one this summer to run around on from the Sea Ray at Lake Shasta.

I know some of you will choke on the mention of a jet ski (or a Sea Ray, for that matter!), but the other side of the street across from your house is not necessarily the Devil's Den!

Joe.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next thing you know, Joe will be sporting gold chains and a speedo Smile

I had the opportunity to poke around north of Evanston while I was there...rugged, rough country. I sure like that part of the world but it's to durn wintery. I'll bet Evanston has changed a bunch since I was there during the construction boom times.

that Mokai sure looks like it would be fun, I've officially added it to my long list of stuff I want to get someday

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stupid question... I must have missed it somewhere along the discussion, but what is the powerplant on the Mokai and is it jet drive?
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:

Tom---The point is not crossing...
This is what makes the combination of C-Dory and Mokai so special to us. We are much more into exploring ...
Jay

Jay - I was just razing ya with my earlier irrelevant comments ... I think its a great idea and look forward to reading about some of your adventures in the more remote parts of the country.

Cheers,

Tom
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve: Try this link to the Mokai site.

Incidently, the Mokai name comes from a spectacular deep canyon in New Zealand.

Sure hope Jay and Jolee are getting some factory $ponsosrship in exchange for all the publicity being generated!

Pat and B~C:

Gold chains, Speedos, Sea Rays, Jet Skis,......must been the 9-day trip to Las Vegas to see the NASCAR crowd and The Strip! Actually, come to think of it, Shasa Lake is a lot more like Lake Mead than Puget Sound, so, "When in.....do as ...." Wish I could also afford the private jet and trophy wife! But may be possible when Ken quits that silly summer job baiting people's hooks and gets down here to run our "Gentlemen's Hotel" adventure on the lake!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Honda 4 stroke engine coupled to a jet propulsion system. I wonder why there is no reverse thrust. That would be a good thing to have. How is the noise level; like a jet ski or quieter?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socrateur wrote:
It's a Honda 4 stroke engine coupled to a jet propulsion system. I wonder why there is no reverse thrust. That would be a good thing to have. How is the noise level; like a jet ski or quieter?

Jay (Socrateur)-

Good point about the reverse!

Maybe they just decided not to complicate the design, since paddling backward is relatively easy, or perhaps steering in reverse proved to be difficult.

Also, reverse gear in a jet consists of a diverter cup behind the nozzle which diverts the jet stream forward and backs up the boat. More equipment to link and expense to build.

Lastly, when I look at the design of the rear of the boat carefully, I'd think a strong reverse thrust would back the engine compartment under water, although the cover should allow it for short periods.

Fun to speculate!

Joe.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken---Evanston is booming again. Housing and cost related to it are sky rocketing.

Have explored on foot and horseback most of that rugged country you mentioned. Makes appreciate doing our exploring now with CD and Mokai.

Tom---no problem, I am to serious for my own good at times. Need to be a little more like Joe.

Joe---differently no sponsorship. Just excited about and like sharing the combination possibilities of the CD and Mokai. Mokai does have a $ back program if you have bought a Mokai and then through you someone else buys one and differently says you are the reason they purchased and use your name they will supposedly give you $100. That's there program and Iam not trying to do that here. I think its more for meeting someone on a trip, you telling them about the Mokai and if they buy and happen to use your name as main link to purchase.

You well explained the reason for no reverse thrust. Its all about the complications of a devirter. The Mokai is amazingly simple. Motor, fuel tank and jet drive can be all removed in a few minutes. I think the back spray of reverse thrust would be more of a problem than back the back end wanting to submerge. Its to much like a cork.

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socrateur wrote:

The 6hp 4 stroke is a lot quieter and gets more so when its broken in. At 3 or 4 mph would be very hard to here from shore. Nothing like those screaming jet skies or boats.

Jay
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the site and went through it. Those are really pretty cool machines. I wonder how long it will be before someone adapts a 50hp motorcycle engine to one of them. That thing would be a horizontal Polaris missle.
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put pictures up from Jackson Lake, coupled with the ones of your new toy, I will really be having withdrawals. I miss being in my Native State the older I get...needless to say our family was all over the state with our boats, campers ,tents etc. Our Home Lake was Pathfinder( the largest masonary dam in the world) back when is was a rutty, muddy road into it. The hardcore fishing folks went there, and Seminole , and the recreational boaters went to Alcova Lake..... ahh the memories....

Jim
Casper Wyoming Native
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Socrateur wrote:

The 6hp 4 stroke is a lot quieter and gets more so when its broken in. At 3 or 4 mph would be very hard to here from shore. Nothing like those screaming jet skies or boats.

Jay

Was in a hurry getting ready for work when answering this yesterday. Will try to do better today.

With the Mokai back cover on and under way and system broken in the noise level is a little more than our Honda 2000 generator. At this quiet idle speed its capable of well over a 100 miles on its 3 gal fuel tank. Also its good to be able to go upstream and then float back down under paddle control with motor off fishing or just slipping up on the wild life.

No reverse is difficult getting use to and it would be great to have. Like Joe alluded to most likely its due to cost and simplicity. On my 1st attempt to check out the bottom end of some serious rapids I was not prepared when caught in back eddy with the additional 3 mph idle speed, there is also no neutral. By the time I hit the engine kill switch and got my paddle in position the Mokai nose hit the current and spun it around. This is a rapid where most of the Snake River is going through a very narrow channel with a several foot drop in a short distance with a curve and rock ledges just below. Would probably been no problem for some one with experience. For me it was pretty hairy and I was able to get control just in time. This is the reason for all the practice on local rivers these past weekends. My original plan was to slowly come up the back eddy make a controlled turn and ride the fast current back down. The back eddy would not have taken me up the chute, but I could have caught the fast water just below the chute under controll if I would have had a neutral or reverse or just more experience with out them. It does have a very handy engine kill switch and under normal conditions the no neutral and reverse is really not a problem. One other condition to avoid or consider is the jet intake can be plugged with water grass or other debris. When slowly going up that 6" shallow area I plugged the intake lost power and had to kill the motor to unplugg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: