The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How Many WA Boaters Registered His/Her Dinghy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: How Many WA Boaters Registered His/Her Dinghy? Reply with quote

Reading RCW Section 88.02.030 section 6 (a), (b) and (c)
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=88.02.030

A boater doesn't need to register a dinghy if it is used exclusively as a tender. It has to have the main boat's registration # with a "1" suffix somehow affixed to it, but it does not need to be registered.

Do you follow this exception to registration or do you just go ahead and register the dinghy? I'd like your reasoning.

How much does it cost to register a dinghy? Do you have to pay tax the first time, if so what percentage? Does the tax reoccur each year or is it just a registration fee?

Thanks in advance for your comments and insight.

-Sarge

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge,

If you have a bill of sale showing amount paid, take that to a licensing agent(where you license your car) and they will issue a 'WN' number and collect sales tax and registration fee.

If you already paid sales tax, you just pay the fee.

By the way, in Washington, a 1/2% tax on the boats value is collected every year with the 'registration fee'.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarge, It's my understanding that if the dinghy has no power or up to 9.9 HP, no registration is required. It's not a boat in their view. Unless you fish from it. Then it must be registered and carry numbers. We carry no numbers or registration on our Achilles nor did we on the Avon.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger - I have always understood if not powered a boat does not need registration, but I have never heard the "up to 9.9 HP" part - if it is powered, it is supposed to be registered as I understand it. I have also never heard the "if used exclusively as a tender" one - but that will be our situation. I guess I should look. [on edit - here is the reg itself from the above link]

(6) Vessels equipped with propulsion machinery of less than ten horsepower that:

(a) Are owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid vessel number has been issued;

(b) Display the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix "1" in the manner prescribed by the department; and

(c) Are used as a tender for direct transportation between that vessel and the shore and for no other purpose;

Pretty soon I will have an Alaska Series inflatable and have had a Mercury 2.5 hp 2 cycle for a couple of years...I did not register the prior $69 Costco dinghy, actually only used the outboard in Canada and Alaska...guess I will have to figure out how to affix Daydream's registration number to the dinghy.

Dreamer wrote:
Sarge, It's my understanding that if the dinghy has no power or up to 9.9 HP, no registration is required. It's not a boat in their view. Unless you fish from it. Then it must be registered and carry numbers. We carry no numbers or registration on our Achilles nor did we on the Avon.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: