The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Reputable fiberglass repair needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mccml

City/Region: Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Crystal Sea
Photos: Crystal C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reputable fiberglass repair needed Reply with quote

I have a CD25 that has a crack next to the top of the starboard transom cap. I have been in contact with Bret Reynolds at CDory. I need to find a reputable fiberglass boat repair business. I live in central PA. Does anybody have any recommendations?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd hike on over to the nearest high quality boat dealership and ask them who they use. Most dealerships outsource their repairs.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Fiberglass repair from being rear ended Reply with quote

Osprey Marine Composites in Deale, MD seemed to do a good job repairing the accident damage and in "painting" the bottom (5 barrier coats, Trinidad, 2 coats ablating).

The difficult part is scheduling. My CD-25 went to Osprey in November and because their shop was so busy, I didn't get it back until the end of February. I'll also add that communication relative as to when work would be performed and the associated reasons was not one of their strengths.

They don't do engines, so if engine removal is required, it would probably be to your benefit to have it done locally before bringing your boat to Osprey. Otherwise they have to bring in another vendor (either Tri-State or Advanced Marine).

With those caveats, I'd recommend Osprey. I know Cutter Marine (C-Dory in Baltimore) didn't want any part of the work. I don't think they have the environmentally controlled facilities suited to that type of work. They just did a gel coat warranty repair for me and when they could undertake it was a function of the weather.

For more info, shoot me an e-mail at bill.secure@comcast.net
mccml

City/Region: Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Crystal Sea
Photos: Crystal C
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also contacted Cutter Marine and they were not able to do the work now. I do have a good lead from a repair shop in Harrisburg, PA, but I need to find a place that will pull my 135 honda off first before I take it to them.
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Pulling, replacing the motor Reply with quote

I get the sense that pulling (and replacing) the motor is not that big a deal if you have the lifting equipment. I got that impression from Advanced Marine when they pulled my damaged motor and then installed a new replacement. I'd imagine any reputable large outboard motor shop can easily do the work. I'm assuming you'd prefer to have them store the motor until the fiberglass work was complete.

Bill
Edgewater, MD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: