The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dry Storage Facilities banning C-Dory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Dry Storage Facilities banning C-Dory Reply with quote

Anyone else running into this issue as far as Dry Storage and C-Dory's ?
seahooked wrote:
Tom,
I talked to the head of dry storage operations today and he echoed what Sarge stated yesterday. They aren't taking any more CD's in dry storage. Presently there are two; mine and a smaller one (a 19 I believe). I'm still unclear of the real problem. Sarge stated the new forklift forks are too wide. I thought I was told they were too tall, and the flat bottom kept the forks from going under the boat when on the lift. The V hulls allow more room here. I was told that all the newer forklift manufacturers were standardizing on this type of fork- however that may be an excuse because that what they bought. The operator also stated that they didn't want to change the lift to accomodate the flatter hulls because it might effect the ability to lift the V's. I'm very skeptical of this comment. Like everything else it's probably a matter of the bottom line. If enough CD's want in, and spaces are unused, I'm sure a solution would present itself.

I want to go over and look at the situation first hand and make my own conclusions.

And they're not planning to kick me out. At least not for a couple of years after they gotten rid of the old forklift. At least that's what they're telling me...

C-Dorys discriminated against because of 'flat bottoms'. Sounds like something you might hear out of an unnamed sorority in Indiana.

Tom
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Twin Bridges dry stack near Anacortes has lots of C-Dorys, both 22's and 25's. They also store Tom Cats.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this problem with the dry stacked storage on the Foss Waterway in Tacoma. Everything was fine and dandy, paid my first months rent, delivered my boat to the dock and drove home. About an hour later I got a call from them and they told me that they could not take a C-Dory. The reason they gave me was that the boat, because of its width and flat bottom, didn't fit the cradle that they use in the launch process. Their process to launch is different than Twin Bridges. Foss, and some other stacked storage places, remove the boat from the stack with the fork lift, and then put it onto a wood cradle (much like the one the boat rests on in the storage building) and then it is sling launched. Twin Bridges uses the fork lift to complete the launch. They told me that the C-Dory (19 and 22) would require them to use a different sized cradle at the sling, which in my mind was not that big of deal. When I went to pick up my rejected boat, I talked with the manager and he said all of the same things that the assistant manager had told me. I pressed him a bit because I was ticked off because they had told me at the Tacoma Boat Show that they knew their boats and the C-Dory would work just fine. I was concerned about the trim tabs being damaged during lifting. After a bit of discussion, he told me that one of their other storage facilities in Seattle had had a C-Dory 22 do a 180 on the fork lift in the wind. I have no idea if that was true or not, but that may be the reason that some places don't want flat bottomed boats.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These marinas that choose to not have the ability to accomodate our flat bottoms are sure losing out! Not only do they not get to admire such functional and beautiful (aka "Cute Boats") on a daily basis, but they miss out on associations with the wonderful folks that own them.

Perhaps, the day will come when the majority of boaters will become converts to C-Dory and in order for them to stay in business, these marinas will have to modify their equipment for us. Laughing

C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: