The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

High Thrust Kicker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: High Thrust Kicker Reply with quote

Anyone using one of the high thrust kickers? If so, any comments vs a standard kicker of the same power. Also, shaft length....... are you running 20 or 25 inch? Imput would be good as we are ready to buy one.
We will be getting a Yami.
Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Kicker Reply with quote

I run an high thrust '04, 9.9 Yamaha kicker (T9.9ELRC), electric start, no tiller, coupled when required by a tie bar to my main. It seemed logical to go high thrust, to me anyway - I had a high thrust on a sailboat at one time. Mine is a 20" shaft. I don't fish/troll, it is primarily my backup motor and, it also a good way just to puddle along enjoying scenery while conserving fuel.

Cheers - Dave
alg

City/Region: Drummond WI & Citrus Hills, FL
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: SHALJE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 9.9 Honda power thrust kicker on the Shalje. Power start and tilt with steering tied to the main make it a handy package. Controls are attached to starboard side of main controls. Great for economical , quiet cruising and trolling. Also peace of mind in the event of a breakdown of the main engine.
No problem with handling in normal boating seas. In heavy winds it is hard to control tracking at trolling speeds.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

There is an excellent article comparing kicker types and hp and props in a recent magazine. I think it was in Trailer boats, maybe Sports Fishing.

Anyway, there are specific circumstances in which the various combinations work well. IN particular note was that the Solas high thrust prop was heads above most others due in part to the large hub opening which stopped cavitation and allowed exhaust to pass thru in reverse.

John
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brother Rick... Looking forward to getting together with yall again soon at the Cumberland River Gathering in late Apr07.

I think other than just trolling, the two of you like getting out into the blue waters.... and kinda sorta want a back up for the main motor. I think I would go with the longes shaft as to keep in under water when/if you start to head back with the kicker...being the main...and the boat flopping about a bit, stern high particuarly in the confused waters coming thru the passes and ruff bay waters.

As mentioned above, I too have seen real nice stuff about the Solas 4 blade props...worth looking into for sure. Who ya gonna buy the motor from?

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, folks. I'm still not positive which way we're going to go...regular or high thrust. Heck, after phoning 15 Yami dealers in 3 states and coming up empty handed, I may just go with an 8hp and be done with it. Seems the small motors are not stocked much down here. We did find a smokin' good price on an 8, so maybe we'll just do that.
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick.

I got a good deal on a left over 15H.P. is why I went with the 15. My cousin did all the leg work and found it down in Palm Beach, Florida. The shipping was less than the out of state tax I didn't have to pay. Back in 2003 it was the same engine as the 9.9 high thrust and CHEAPER. Just tuned and tweeked a bit different. I put a 7x10x4 Solas on it and it pushes the boat with authority. When we get around to longer cruises I planned to put-put some distance with it. I added the charging rectifier for $30. Just plug and play.

I just noticed the high thrust engines come with a 14 inch prop! They must push like a tug boat... I also noticed the 9.9 standard engine is 126cc's bigger than the 8 h.p. standard. If you could get a good deal on a 9.9??? If not and trolling is your main use and it is a smokin deal I wouldn't be afraid to try the 8 with a power prop. The extra power would be nice though when wind, currents and tides kick up. Mine is a 20 inch shaft mounted on the mini-jacker and basically even with my mains prop in the water. If your main prop doesn't lift out of the water then the kicker shouldn't either. On the classic hull the kicker gets mounted more on the corner of the boat and a quartering wave from astern has a better chance of raising the prop out of the water.

Side Note: I had mine freighted up from South Florida. Freight truck has to drop to a loading dock. So, I have it shipped to local lawn mower shop. When the owner sees a Yamaha outboard in the crate he tells me there is a Yamaha outboard distributor in Panama City, Florida. If I recall, he said you can by direct and pick-up but no shipping to the average Joe. I would ask the guy more but the family no longer runs the business. It might be worth running down early on a Saturday and see if you can find it. Or call some of the local boat guys down there and see if anyone knows of it. Worth a shot. With the new models out I would think some body has some leftovers... Most dealers just don't stock them like they used to.

Good luck in the search.

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of threads discussing this subject. They seem to like the Yamaha T8, whatever that is. http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=1459405#post1459405 http://www.gamefishin.com/gfboard/forum_posts.asp?TID=24775

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIM in Seattle has the T8 Yahama on "sale" currently--so I assume that they are in stock.

(on the other hand I have a new 15 hp Honda Electric Start available looking for a new home).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SIM

City/Region: Washington Island
State or Province: WI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
SIM in Seattle has the T8 Yahama on "sale" currently--so I assume that they are in stock.

Ah...that would be SIM in Wisconsin Mr. Green

Andy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My appologies Andy--I kept seeing that "Washington Island"---thanks for being there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: