The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Downrigger placement, part 47....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckjackson

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Downrigger placement, part 47.... Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the proper section or not, so please forgive me if it should really be down in the electronics section.

I'll start off by saying I have done a search, and the search raised an option I haven't thought of...

The former Nancy H (we're waiting for the boat to pick her own name) has the old-style lazarette covers...hinged and molded of fiberglass. Someone said that they'd used or were going to use the covers to mount downriggers, and that would be the absolute ideal place for me, since we have the overhead roof. But will the covers hold up to a pair of Cannon electrics and the stress of pulling a 10-pound ball around. Granted, I'd use a whopping big backing plate, but will it work? While I'm going to do a temporary wiring for the downriggers off the crank battery, I'm looking at installing a fuseblock inside the starboard lazarette as it doesn't contain the propane tank...a

What should I use for plugs? On my old boat, I had some corrosion problems with the downrigger plugs, and I'd like to find a better solution.

It's been a long struggle with motors, work issues (as in too much) and some travel, but I'm thinking Monday may be the time to get the boat wet. I think I'll be able to break in the motors trolling a flasher and hoochie in the bombing range, or maybe Oak Bay....we'll see.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Keith
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not mount downriggers to anything that is not firmly bolted to the hull itself. You might get by with pulling a 10 lb. canonball around, but the stress of hanging one up might rip the whole works loose. ...just my opinion.
Al

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieth-

There's no way those lids are attached stongly enough with their hinges to take the load of a downrigger, at least, as is.

However, if you cut the lid in half or 2/3'rds - 1/3' rd, or so, the back portion could be backed with a plate (aluminum, stainless, or even Starboard) underneath and accross the lid section and full out to the sides, distributing the stress on the whole of the lazarette topside.* Adding a top-plate would give you even more added structural integrity to just having the bottom-plate alone.

The remaing forward section of the lid would then serve as access to the backing plate attachments, as well as the batteries, storage, and whatever else lies therein.

Can be done, just requires some ingenuity!

Joe.

* I'm assuming you have the same flat, solid, HPPE (High Pressure Poly Ethylene) doors that are on my "87 Cruiser. Something similar could be done if you have the later, domed, hollowish covers.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: