The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

vhf radio/noa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat kartch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: vhf radio/noa Reply with quote

I continue to enjoy this site and the good people who run it and contribute.

I will be picking up my C-Dory 22 in Duluth on May 6th...coming from
Bismarck ND.

There is a wealth of vhf radio's out there. I want to keep things simple with a good radio with noa weather alerts. Gradually after I learn the boat I will add on GPS etc to a depth finder and the radio.

Is there a "top 2-3" radio models that warrant a serious look.

Thanks to all

Frank and Pat
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank and Pat-

Just replaced a 10 year old VHF with a new Uniden Polaris from West Marine. Paid $150 for it. It has all the bells and whistles including "hail" (external loudspeaker) capability, DSC (Digital Selective Calling), connectivity with a GPS and a Distress button (allows you to push the button and transmit an automatic distress call on Ch 70, which the USCG is supposed to monitor). You can register the VHF for this capability for free at Boat us and get a number you program in which goes into a database. Then, when and if, you transmit a distress call, the USCG knows what your boat is, where it is, what color it is and how many folks you usually carry.

All that having been said, many of the radios are very similar. They are almost all (if not all) made overseas (this one was made in the Phillippines) and many have common chips/parts. It's like buying a Sears appliance, no telling who/where that was made...

This one seemed to be the least expensive that had all those features. You can see it here: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=81812&catalogId=10001&classNum=657&subdeptNum=64&storeNum=3 along with many others. This one also has the capability to hook two wireless remote mikes to it. Although with a 22' C-dory, it's hard to get too far from the radio. Would be handy at the dock though, not sure what the range is.

Good luck. BTW, I've been a ham radio operator for nearly 50 years and am a grad EE. I'm not pushing this radio or any other, but it was my choice after looking at the herd!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
pat kartch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Charlie,

Good info... I will check it out. I looked up Captains Choice and looks like you have a 22 with a sun top. I went with a Honda 75 and a 8 kicker.

Does your Uniden have the NOA weather alert system?

Did ham radio thing in the 70's but when my Hallicrafters broke down I spent my money on kids and gym shoes and never got back into it.

I'am a career wildlife professional with time as a Fed Game Warden. Learning to spend money on ourselves for a change.

Thanks for the good advice.

Frank and Pat
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've got twin Honda 45 4 strokes. They quit making those when they started making 40 and 50Hp ones in the mid 90's these are 1994 versions but I've got less than 300 hours on them...

Yes the Uniden has the NOAA alert system and it's programmable so that it will alert based on different NOAA stations. I think it's a good radio, have only tried it out on the bench though, it's mounted on the boat but not hooked up yet. My boat is 90 miles away and we only get down there on an occasional weekend.

There's lots of Hams that have CDs, I think there's a list somewhere on this site or the C-Dog one. I'd like to put some of my ham stuff on there but haven't gotten to it yet.

Good luck with the radio.

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: