The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The old debate, twin engines versus one engine on a C-Dory
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Real Life Experience Reply with quote

I had an impeller go out in the San Juans. I have twin 40's which allowed me to cross Rosario Straights and return to where my trailer was waiting. I would not have wanted to attempt that crossing with a kicker which would have meant finding a place to do the repairs in the Islands. Deer Harbor would have been the closest to where the impeller went out. I don't like the extra maintence costs of twins but I sure like the insurance factor.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve (Dora Jean) --

Yep -- we have cruised many a pleasurable mile with Chris, on Rana Verde. With his single Yamaha and our dual Hondas we come within 1% (either way) on our fuel consumption at the pump.

We prefer the duals because I'm not a mechanic (Chris is!). When we replaced our twin engines, we replaced with dual Hondas -- safety factor for us in remote areas (we've needed it a few times -- and it makes for some good stories). And, when one engine died (of old age) in the Chesapeake and there was going to be a delay of several months to replace it (at a reasonable price) we simply trailered off to the Erie Canal (with its many speed zones) and rode around those months on our single 40!

This debate, however, seems to miss the other central themes of life: Should our truck be a Ford, a Dodge, or a Chevie? Or, if we are going to carry a firearm, should it be a .30-.30 or a .270? And, what's the best way to brew a good cuppa java?

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked my single and kicker arrangement. It's always made sense to me that it is easier maintaining one big engine rather than two. We've used the kicker and were able to get back in small chop with no problem using the 9.9 hp kicker.

However... I did pause to think during our rough water experience last weekend what would have happened if our very strong and reliable motor somehow stopped working in the midst of all that. I'm sure that the kicker would not have been able to handle those seas. I'm thinking that I would have had a lot more confidence running on a single 50 hp if the other went out in those conditions.

In fact, I told Caryn that if we ever got a new boat, I might think about getting twins the next time. Just food for thought.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: