The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Cosmic C is on the Great Loop at last.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually our group has a party every Friday night. Usually at Bayou Chico, but occasionally at our house. The basis of this group is 5 couples of us who have sailed together/raced against each other for over 45 years, and all moved from Long Beach CA to Pensacola, FL. Between the group one will usually find a couple of circumnavigations and at least a million miles at sea any one Friday night--we have a great time--and all C Brats are welcome to come if they are in the area!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Cosmic C

City/Region: St Lawrence River & Bucks Cty
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Cosmic C
Photos: Cosmic C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are back on the water after a delightful three-night stop at Bob and Marie Austin's dock. What hospitality the Austin's showed us! Within a few hours of arrival we were partying with them and their neighbors, then the next day they insisted on loaning us one of their cars to go spend a night with other friends of ours in Gulf Breeze. And on the final morning Bob came down to the dock at 4:30 a.m. to check the water level and then made sure we were up at 6:30 a.m. when it was apparent that we would be stuck if we stayed any later. We can't say enough about the welcome and help we received. The Austin's are one great couple!

Patrick and Mary Fowles
25' C Dory Cosmic C
Currently moored at the Panama City Marina, Panama City, FL
www.the-fowles.com
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Here To Bob & Marie for helping others and making the Loop a more enjoyable trip Beer Beer

Do keep us posted on your following legs of the journey. Not sure if Wefins has an open slip in Eastpoint/Apalachocola area or not this week...? It is open sometimes and have enjoyed it a few nights myself!

Safe travels!

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Cosmic C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic C has now reached Cape Coral, FL where she rests at the dock of Capt. Len Susman, who very kindly offered to let us leave her there until the end of February when we'll return to start Leg III of our loop cruise.

We've had a grand time since leaving the Austins. We wended our way to Carrabelle via Panama City and Apalachicola under sunny (but cold) skies, where we had intended to stay a couple of days as yet another front was due to come through. But then we met Buddy while getting gas at the Moorings Marina in Carrabelle. Buddy was full of advice on the weather and precisely when we should leave for Steinhatchee. He said that the front wouldn’t come through until the afternoon and that we could easily and safely reach Steinhatchee by noon if we left at first light. He also assured us that he is correct much more often than NOAA and had helped hundeds of loopers time their crossing. As it happened, the early morning forecast from NOAA was quite close to Buddy’s predictions, and we did leave at first light, making it to Steinhatchee well before the front came through Thursday night, considerably later than forecast.

We loved the "Forgotten Coast" of Florida! We stayed two nights in Steinhatchee (that front again) and attended some of the local Christamas festivities, cruised way down upon the Suwannee River, shopped in Cedar Key, tried to find manatees in Crystal River (but failed unfortunately), and dined Greek in Tarpon Springs. Back in the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway again, we were visited by friends while we stayed at the St Petersburg Yacht Club (reciprocal privilidges from our yacht club on the St Lawrence), visited the Ringling Art Museum in Sarasota, and stopped in Venice and Boca Grande. Our last evening before returning home we toured Thomas Edison's winter home in Ft Myers, and had a great meal at Rum Runners in Cape Coral, sitting beside the water surrounded by boats brightly decorated for Christmas.

We'll be back on board the Cosmic C towards the end of February when we'll cross Florida and then make a decision on the Bahamas. My first mate now tells me that this decision will depend on whether others decide to make the trip at the same time.

Until then, Mary and I wish all you C Brats a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Patrick and Mary Fowles
25-ft C Dory Cosmic C
Currently moored in Cape Coral, FL
www.the-fowles.com
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been enjoying your travel log and photos, Patrick and Mary. Hope to be heading that way ourselves after the first of the year... we'll be on the lookout for you.

Your website looks good! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Cosmic C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those considering stopping at the Suwannee river, please be aware of the lack of depth in the approach channel.

We had delayed leaving Steinhatchee in order to arrive at about 3:30 p.m. on
the 9th, well after half rising tide as is advised (on 12/9 low tide was
10:53 a.m., high tide at 5:16 p.m.) and yet found less than 3 ft in many
sections of the channel and 2 ft at one point. We can run in 2 ft, but I
don't know how a bigger boat could have got in, even at high tide. Because
of the time we were committed to going in, but we realized that getting out
the next day would be a real problem. On the 10th, high tides were at 3:51
a.m. and 5:59 p.m., with low tide at 11:33 a.m. Sunrise was at 7:15 a.m. We
were under way before 6:30 a.m., using our spotlight to pick out channel
markers (we don't have radar), but the shallowest spot was now less than 2
ft and we touched bottom briefly. We were in the center of the channel, and
coasted over the shoal with no damage, but a couple of inches less water
would have sent us back to wait a day or two for a later high tide.

Although the locals we talked to didn't think the water was unusually low,
and the channel may have silted in some, this was probably also a good
example of the impact of wind. On the 8th the wind was blowing 20-25K from
the N to NE, and 10-15K from the NE on the 9th, both tending to push the
water off shore. Just another item to factor into the planning of a visit to
the fabled Suwannee River (which itself is deep and wide and unspoiled).

Patrick and Mary Fowles
25-ft C Dory Cosmic C
Currently moored in Cape Coral, FL
www.the-fowles.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are glad to hear that you made it down to Cape Coral-and had a great time.

I cannot emphasize too much the effect of the wind on the waters of the Gulf along the Florida Coast. When the Northers come, it can blow 2 to 3 feet of water out of the bays and passes (this is accentuated by the highs which often come along). The Southerly winds and lows, allow the "normal" tides to return. If there had been heavy rain up in the Swanee drainage, the water could still be high even up above the sand bar at the entratnce, but a low at the bar itself.

(Remember I shooed Patrick and Mary out early in the AM because of these low waters--a few days later we had almost 4 feet of water over our sand bar).
Cosmic C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic C has been back on Leg III of our great loop cruise for just over two weeks now, and us northerners have been thoroughly enjoying the great Florida weather. We had left the boat for a couple of months at the dock of Captain Len Sussman in Cape Coral. He had responded to our request on the great loop list for advice on marinas in the Tampa area with an offer to let us use his empty dock in Cape Coral, which we gratefully accepted. What a great guy he is. He kept an eye on the boat while we were away, picked us up at the airport when we returned, took us to the supermarket to stock up, and did several other favors for us too.

When we left Cape Coral we spent a couple of days at the dock of a family friend on Sanibel, where we cycled the island and got to go to a Southwest Florida Symphony Orchestra concert. Then it was east on the Okeechobee waterway, where we had a little excitement in the form of a wildfire on the western islands of the lake which lit the night sky while we were moored at Moore Haven and covered us with ash as we crossed the lake the next day. After a couple of nights on the hook near Stuart (great little town) and on Lake Worth (we passed Discovery and Wild Blue soon after we entered the ICW and exchanged greetings), we arrived in Lighthouse Point where we have two sets of friends from the St Lawrence river – we knew they came to Florida in the winter but did not realize that they lived about a mile apart down here. We enjoyed catching up with our friends, spending some time in Boca Raton (interesting Marilyn Monroe exhibit at the Art Museum), and watching the lunar eclipse from a 16th-floor beachfront condo belonging to our friend’s niece.

Heading back north again, we stopped at West Palm Beach to visit the Norton Art Museum and the Flagler Museum, Ft. Myers, Vero Beach, and the dock of yet more friends from the St Lawrence. We stayed there two nights so we could rent a car to visit the Kennedy Space Center. We’ve seen many dolphins and a few manatees from the boat, but nary an alligator, so we were glad to see many of them at the Spaced Center. Then it was on to the Halifax River Yacht Club at Daytona Beach where we stayed two nights so Mary could get in a day of work (she’s not yet retired) and I could visit the NASCAR exhibit at Daytona USA and drive on the historic (to motor racing fans) Daytona Beach sands. It was bike week in Daytona, and the town was overflowing with motorcycles and riders. We have never seen so many motorcycles in one place before, and were later told that there were nearly a million of them in Daytona and the surrounding area. This might have been an exaggeration, but not by much. They came in all shapes, colors, sizes, and designs (the riders too), and the noise was loud and continuous, all day and all night. Talk about rolling thunder!

We’re now at the Municipal Marina in St Augustine, sipping wine after a wonderful day on the town. We’ll probably end this leg in Savannah or Charleston, but we’re not looking forward to returning to Pennsylvania weather. Unfortunately other commitments call....

Patrick ands Mary Fowles
25 ft C Dory Cosmic C
Currently moored at the St Augustine Municipal Marina
www.the-fowles.com
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick and Mary, thanks for the update. It's great hearing about your travels on a side of the country I know very little about. Also, great website!

Peter
C-Dancer
William and Beth Tucker

City/Region: Ocean Isle Beach
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: c-dory
Photos: William and Beth (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick and Mary you are now entering my neck of the woods {water]..If you come up the water way as far as Charleston,s.c. then you may as well come about another 120 miles where i live on the water way about 5 miles pass the south carolina line.. Just in north carolina. It appears that you leave your boat where ever and then go back home..I have a 25 C-dory also and if i get my boat back from the shop and back on my lift ,you are welcome to store your boat on my boat trailer that is set up for a 25 C- Dory ..Another possiblilty may be if i don't get my boat back from the shop you can store your boat on my lift, that is set up for a 25 C-dory..Plus i could show " yawl " around mrytle beach...If i don't see "yawl " on this leg of the Great Loop then maybe i will met " yawl " on leg number IV. It appears that you are already having fun and don't forget to eat some shrimp and grits when "yawl " reach charleston,s.c.....tucker
Cosmic C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William:

Many thanks for the kind offer. I would take you up on it but we're probably going to have some work done on the boat while we are away and so will use an as-yet-to-be-decided-upon marina near Savannah or Charleston where the work can be done.

We'll give you a holler when we're in your neck of the woods.

Regards, Patrick

Patrick and Mary Fowles
25 ft C Dory Cosmic C
Currently at anchor in Alligator Creek north of Jacksonville, FL
www.the-fowles.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: