The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas Fan Noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Wallas Fan Noise Reply with quote

From: Da_Nag™ (Original Message) Sent: 10/23/2003 11:33 AM
Sundog posted a comment over at the Pub about Wallas fan noise - bringing the topic over here for discussion.

I too, am not thrilled with the amount of noise the Wallas fan puts out. However, I'm not comfortable leaving the lid up overnight.

It seems like it would be pretty straightforward to install a rheostat into the power supply line to the fan, making the fan speed adjustable. This is pretty common on PC's to lower the case and CPU fan noise - here's a link that describes a home-brewed process that should work on any 12v fan.

Anyone ever have their Wallas disassembled enough to know if access to the fan wires is obvious and easy?

I was just wondering if at high heat setting would you want the speed to be reduced, only because if it does not remove enough heat could it damage something in the fan lid?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't feel comfortable running the Wallas at night. I sure wouldn't be comfortable knowing I could underestimate the amount of fan required to keep this unit adequately cool. It's one thing doing this during the day, but at night when asleep... no way. I'm sure Wallas has already considered the idea of fluctuating fan speed and nixed it for safety and/or liability reasons. Heck, I've felt compelled to turn the heater down because the counter top adjacent to the stove gets to hot for my liking after running on high for a while.

I also find the fan noise bothersome so I purchased a small butane (Mr. Buddy) heater that fits nicely in front of the porta potty for use when we're awake and we get tired of the noise. It's stable even when cruising if set on a non-slip surface and is relatively efficient. We just pile on the covers at night if it's cold and dry the cabin out in the morning with the Wallas. Just my two bits.

Hi, True Story,

I think Wallas has you covered, since thay have built-in overheat cutoffs.

When I first got my boat, I too had concerns about sleeping while the Wallas was running. So I ran the heck out of it for long (8 hour) periods, to be sure I could trust it. Lid up. Lid down. (Did that in my side yard before having to commit).

The only failure was on hot days, when it would shut down when cabin, and counter top, would get too hot.

On nights when the fan noise has bothered me, I've left the lid up, and just turned the setting to about the Half mark.

Comfortable nights, and no problem starting the engine in the AM.

Ken
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the Lynn Marie for the last fall cruise before dry docking for winter projects and used the Wallas. Iwasn't bothered buy the volume but was disturbed by the pitch. About three time during the cool down period I got a loud screech from the fan motor. Anybody have a similar experience? At this point I'm willing to wait till the Seattle BS when I can talk to the factory folks at their booth. Sure hope they'll be there again.

Tim
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Wallas fan noise Reply with quote

Tim, When my unit has screeched, it has always been the blower fan. My experience has been that once the screaming starts it's only a matter of time before fan motor failure. The last time this syndrome occured, the increased resistance of the failing motor(s) caused the catastrophic failure of the circuit board from where it's power is supplied. I believe the twin motors(blower fan) were 9 volts. Karl removed one of the twin motors and replaced it with a single large motor that was 12 volts. He bypassed the circuit board and wired this motor upstream of it. The other motor was left in place @ the other end of the squirrel cage. This way, if the fan motor fails it wo'nt take the c.b. with it. If your fan is screaming, do'nt delay repairs. Replacing a c.b. is very expensive. Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: