View previous topic :: View next topic  
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Dogs on Board Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried this? http://www.portabledogpotty.com/

We have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - Porsche and Charlie - that we plan to bring on our cruise to Alaska. If this product works as claimed, it sure would be nice!

Anyone have any other ideas?

Mac
Island Ranger CR-25
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our three years cruising Alaska, we took our two Labador Retrievers ashore at least three times a day. When making a passage offshore, or on coasts where it was not wise to take the dogs ashore, we trained them to go on the deck.

One of the problems is that most dogs will not want to "soil" their living area and the cockpit is a living area. This looks like a neat gadget--don't know how much urine it will hold and how easy it is to dump and clean.
We used puppy training pads on the deck to help get the dogs "started" and used a piece of astro turf, which could then be dunked overboard, and drained before putting back on the boat's deck. Again, I am not sure that a wet astroturf or this device would be desirable in the cockpit.

Just be sure that there are no bears as you go ashore--make lots of noise and shine a light at night to be sure that there are no bears. Carry the bear spray repellant on your belt.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Not much deck on a Ranger 25 - couldn't get up there anyway since you need both hands to climb forward (unless you pop out the forward hatch. We've got the dogs trained to go on command, so I'm thinking if we just put it down, have them do their business, then clean it and put it away, it just might work. Sure would bet having to head ashore twice a day!

I've heard about the astroturf - this is the first one I've heard that catches the waste.

Mac
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob... Bear Spray Repellant???? For real man??? I get nervouse with wasp spray....and those cans that get just enough out to piss'm off good Angry then leave you there standing a stupid can Embarassed Xmas Eek .....and wasp to out manuver. Your lovely bride must have bought another insurance policy man...be careful.

For bear.... I'm thinnking I'll strap a 44 mag on my side.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up A bit harder on the bear...but it finishes what it starts.....and....I aint as able to get about the area as fast as I use to be...but can aim over my sholder as I leave a "trail" to the bear to manuver thru. Smile

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I don't mean to hyjack this thread--by the way I am really impressed by the training of the King Charles Spaniels to "go on command"!

http://tinyurl.com/5rdg5 is one study of the effect of "Bear Spray".
http://www.canadianrockies.net/Grizzly/pepperspray.pdf Retrospective.

http://www.udap.com/safety.htm Gives some good safety tips--and better to avoid than confront!

I realize that there are a lot of folks on this forum who live in Alaska and deal with Grizzly's every day. We spent 4 "summers" (April thru October) in Alaska. 3 on the boat one in an RV and had multiple bear encounters. One of our friends gave us the Bear Repellant the first year. It was (and still is) carried on my gun belt--with a .44 magum. If we got into a potentially dangerous encounter (which rarely happened), the .44 was in the right (gun) hand and the spray was in the left hand. The perticular bear spray unit we own has a range of 30 feet (not much when dealing with a Grizzly) and 10.2 oz of 10% Oleoresin Capsicum. . We have practiced with it to identify the range and practiced with it (and got a new one for "real"). Parks Canada recommends that you carry bear repellant:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/inc/PM-MP/visit/visit12a_e.pdf

A .44 magnum is not the gun of choice if dealing with a Grizzley bear--but was much easier to carry than a rifle or shotgun with slugs. We have Garrett Cartridges 310-grain Super-Hard-Cast Hammerhead bullet in the revolver.

When we were going into one part of Queen Charolette Island the Ranger specifically asked us to carry bear repellant. There are very strict laws about shooting Grizzly bears. We spent several days at Pack Creek. We talked to the rangers there, who said that since using the bear repellant, they had not had to shoot a grizzly.

I have a real respect for bears based on some of my experiences earlier in life. I used to go solo back packing in the Sierra. We have had a number of bear encounters, but the most frightening was when I was alone near Bishop Pass in late June (still snow on the ground) and sleeping under a tarp. A black bear came round in the night and sniffed and pawed me. I held my breath and played "dead"--yes I had a pistol in my hand, which was pointed at the bear's neck, but I did not fire.
Obviously I was not "dinner" that night and the bear went away. There are maulings in the Sierra every summer.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
A .44 magnum is not the gun of choice if dealing with a Grizzley bear--but was much easier to carry than a rifle or shotgun with slugs. We have Garrett Cartridges 310-grain Super-Hard-Cast Hammerhead bullet in the revolver.

Here's your next gun!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Dogs on Board Reply with quote

Dogs on board seems to have turned into who's most afraid of the Bears.
Having lived all over the lower 48 before coming to Alaska I can tell you that your chances for ANY encounter are much greater with the snakes you guys have than our Bears. Any Alaskan will also tell you we don't miss the snakes!.
While there may be some benefit to Bear spray as a deterrent and the 44 possibly as well, the overwhelming choice up here is a 12 ga. pump shotgun. If you are trying to eliminate some variables and improve your chances this is the way to go.
I am however very interested in this doggy travel pad and may give one a try next summer.
Mike on Huda Thunkit. Thumbs Up
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dogs on Board Reply with quote

Alasgun wrote:
While there may be some benefit to Bear spray as a deterrent and the 44 possibly as well, the overwhelming choice up here is a 12 ga. pump shotgun. If you are trying to eliminate some variables and improve your chances this is the way to go.

As one who used to live near Homer, I totally agree. However, as others have pointed out, carrying a shotgun is not always practical!

Do you favor slugs or 00 buck?

Warren
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad for this thread because we are still trying to decide whether or not to take a dog with us on our trip. If we do it will be only one of them as Troy is much too big to get safely in and out of the dinghy. I have been wondering if there is good information about where you should definitely NOT take dogs to shore or if it's just always a risk or if it's just better not to take one on the trip at all. I sure hate the idea of being without a dog for five weeks, though, and having someone care for one dog is easier than caring for two. I know that Don is looking at what kind of protection we can take with us as well.
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Dogs on Boaed Reply with quote

Education is the key to building your confidence in dealing with the bear thing. Some folks get that education in the field first hand, others from the opinions of experienced folks or arm chair naturalist. Get your info from a good source and you will have no problems.
No place are you as likely to encounter bears than Alaska and yet every year we run Hundreds of Thousands of tourist through here with little or no bear interaction. On a real bad year we will have a couple maulings which to my knowledge have never included any C-brats.
Whether or not you live in or plan to travel in Alaska you can go the the Alaska Dept of Fish & Game web site and get a wealth of information regarding working , playing etc in bear country.
The Bears lack of predictability is what causes our emotions to soar when weighing the possibilities! What if the dog draws a bear to me, what if he smells our camp, what if I run, etc. Folks the truth is that Donald Trump has a better chance of a marriage proposal from Rosie O than you having a problem with any bear!
I prefer the shotgun as previously mentioned but only because i am comfortable with it. Will I have it on my person and ready to deploy should it be needed, probably not. Will you have your handgun or spray on your person ready for immediate use, probably not. Don't sweat the small stuff, take the dogs with you and enjoy your trip.
Mike on Huda Thunkit
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Dogs Reply with quote

In the University of Alaska at Fairbanks' "Museum of the North" there is a painting of a huge grizzly towering over the brush. The bear is so big that its head extends beyond the edge of the painting. The story that goes with it involves a party of fishermen in the southwest part of the state. Their guide was walking in their direction to help them take things back to the plane. Just behind the group, this monster bear rose up on its hind feet, spotted the party and began to walk toward them. The guide was too far away to do much (having left his 12 guage at the plane) except yell at the fishermen that a bear was headed their way. He told them to fire a rifle into the air to scare the bear away. Even after a couple of shots went off, the bear kept coming. Trouble was definitely in the air. Then, a native man who lived in the area and had come along for the ride in the plane took out a 22 pistol and shot it into the air. The bear rose again on its back legs, let out a snort, turned tail and ran off.

Ivan, the native man, was a devout member of the Orthodox church and always wore a small religious medal hanging from his neck. Ivan chuckled when everyone was amazed that the bear ran away from the sound of the 22. He told them that is was his icon that scared the bear, not the pistol.
The title of the painting is "Ivan's Icon Scared the Bear Away."

I guess that just about sums up what you can expect from a bear: the unexpected.

Pat
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knotty C,
We had two English Labs with us on our Alaskian voyages. They weighed about 70 lbs each. At one point we had another couple with us who had two American Labs--about 100 lbs each. (Boat was a Cal 46 and the dogs had the cockpit--the people the cabins). Taking the dogs ashore was in shifts for the four dogs, but taking the two labs ashore was done on a three to four times a day basis, with no problems. I would not let bears be a determing factor in your decision--but it is a precaution. Although the dogs were not on leashes, they were well trained to commands and would not run off ahead of us.

As for encounters during the 12 month exposure peroid on the boat (3 years x 4 months in AK each year): One black bear on the trail at Anan Creek. About 24 at Pack Creek--but there the bears were basically on one side of the river and those of us (total of 6, plus a ranger and two people who were filming the interaction of the bears and people). We had three bears show up at night in the spot light as we were going ashore--and making the apporpiate noise. We had two bears pop up during the day as were were preparing to land--in both cases, there was curiosity as we yelled out. There were two encounters on rivers where we were fishing--and we slowly backed away as the bears approached. There were several others on trails or peninsulas as we were hiking. Each time we withdrew slowly There was several instances where there was steaming scat--and one incidence where a blueberry bush was shaking as a bear was harvesting and we were on the other side. In none of these cases were cubs involved. We did see a number of sows and cubs along the banks. We saw far more bears in the isolated areas than in the areas near cities.

We carried the 4" .44 mag in a Bianchi Cyclone #111 holster, cross draw, with two speed loaders and the bear repellant on the belt. The belt was worn at all times when we were ashore except in civilized areas. (a few times in remote towns where others were armed). With the cross draw configuration it was always accesiable when driving the inflatable and as we beached the boat. I agree that a 12 guage pump is a much better weapon, but I do not find it convient to bring to a useful position when in a boat or landing. I have carried a side arm for many years when hiking and is part of my normal gear.

I have to tell a little story: The people who owned the other two labs lived in a remote area of Montana and their dogs were used to treeing bears. One of my female dogs was pouting about sharing "her" boat with the other dogs. We went ashore and Al's dogs started barking in an unusual manor and took off--Al said "they've found a bear". This island was susposed to have only black bears. Since my dogs had always stayed with us, I was concerned when my friend said "let them have some fun". About 5 minutes later the bark changed and my friend announced they had treed the bear. Pretty soon the pack of four dogs came prancing back and my little female was so proud that she had "treed a bear"--no more pouting!

Now as for the snakes.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: