The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Serious Fungus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Serious Fungus Reply with quote

This is an update on an earlier thread. Please refer to: http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/artfungus/artilleryfungus.htm

This fungus is caused by decaying wood chips. I have thousands of these tiny black, hard shelled spots all over my 22 ft cruiser. I've tried everything to remove these spots including: rubbing compound, bottom cleaner, acetone, MEK and a host of cleaning products with no luck. I've had two pros look at these spots, a pro finisher and a pro surveyor, both the same response, "I've never seen this before". They both recomended sanding with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper followed by an aggressive buffing compound, followed by a finishing compound and waxing. I'm now sanding wet and the spots are slowly disappearing.

I have a three year old home in the woods. When the lot was cleared they chipped and blew all the tree branches into a pile in the woods where I later stored my boat. If I now dig down in that pile I see white decay.
Most of the articles I've read deal with these spots on vinyl siding, which ends up being replaced, or on cars. Insurance won't cover this. I use cedar mulch up next to the house and have no problems. This pile of decaying wood chips is oak and pine.

Please protect your prized toys. This is a costly problem.
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they're pretty deep into the gelcoat - have you tried Bar Keepers Friend? It's much better than Comet for this type of job. It took out what looked to be rust spots on on the roof of my pilot house.

Phil
Bill.Secure

City/Region: Edgewater - Turkey Point
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Barnacle Bill
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Perhaps diluted bleach ... Reply with quote

I've successfully and without that much effort repeatedly removed dark spots from the inside of ice chests and white plastic buckets. Once they are gone, they don't return. I don't know whether I actually removed them or they simply oxidized to a non-visible appearance. I used a solution that was one part bleach and two to three parts water. Before I tried the bleach I tried every other cleanser and even pressure washing. Nothing but the bleach worked.

Try a small area first obviously.

Bill
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Serious Fungus Reply with quote

I fought with this all last season. This is serious stuff. No cleaners have touched it. I've had pro's look at it. I'm now, or will be once I uncover my boat this spring, having to resort to 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, sanding wet, followed by a good rubbing compound, a polishing compound and a good waxing. I've inputed several boating forums and have a lot of suggestions but nothing works.
Please: KEEP YOUR TOYS AWAY FROM WOOD CHIPS!
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mr. Clean", I think, makes something called a magic eraser. It is
a spong like material that has some mild abrasive properties. We use
them to remove dark hull stains. I've cleaned stuff with them that
nothing else touches. They are inexensive and should be an easy
thing to try. Even f they don't work, they are good for lots of
other things. They do a great jobs on walls.

Mike
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCWASS
WELL PLACED C-4, WILL REMOVE ALL BUT THE MOST DIFFICULT STAINS.
NOW THE DISCLAIMER, HANDLE WHEN SOBBER.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - I have mentioned this before, but evidently noone has tried it but me.

The stains have to be an organic material. There is a very mild, inexpensive, low risk, organic solvent available. It is most commonly seen in oil paintbrush cleaners found at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. - any art supply store. The easiest to apply is the hand soap bar. It is called "The Masters" Soap, in a tan package. 'Looks just like a green bar of soap. It costs $3-4 depending upon where you find it. It will remove grease, oil paint, acrylic paint, watercolors, guache and casein paints. If you can imagine a "ruined" brush with setup oil paint on it coming clean, that is what it does.

I recommended it to a friend of mine who runs an auto mechanical shop. His wife says it's the first time in decades that he comes home with clean hands.

I think it must be based upon seaweed extract of some kind. Even though it removes otherwise impossibly dried paint from skin, brushes, tools, etc, it feels like an aloe soap.

I am hoping that you will try it, risk the $3-4, and I am betting it will dissolve the organic stains causing your problems.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: